Yasinskas: "no Doubt It's Turner's Last Year With Falcons"

theProf

Jeremy (McDonough,GA)

Pat,If David Caldwell leaves Atlanta for a GM Position, do you think Dimitroff brings in Scott Pioli?

Pat Yasinskas (12:46 PM)

Certainly would seem logical. But there are already reports Pioli might want to take a year away from football.

Johnny B/ sw Florida [via mobile]

Do you feel that Mike Smith's approach for the week 17 game against the Bucs was more about staying sharp than actually (to the dismay of Herm Edwards) "winning" the game? Does that bode well for falcons starters in the divisional round or does this loss cause regression?

Pat Yasinskas (12:47 PM)

Don't think it will cause regression. If anything, it might have been a bit of a wake-up call.

Carmel, ca [via mobile]

Do you think the falcons will actually win a playoff game this year?

Pat Yasinskas (12:56 PM)

Yeah, I do. But let's see who they're playing first.

Nicolas (Deerfield Beach)

Are there any FA Corners that the Bucs might be interested in?

Pat Yasinskas (12:59 PM)

I like Brent Grimes, if Falcons don't re-sign him.

Ray (Atlanta)

Hey Pat, do you think it matters who the Falcons play? I think the game should be about them and not the opponent. If they bring their A-game, they should be able to beat anyone.

Pat Yasinskas (1:01 PM)

Agree, if they play their best, they should be able to beat any of the three teams they could face in divisional round.

dwight (atlanta)

What have you heard about Abe's ankle?

Pat Yasinskas (1:04 PM)

They keep saying it's minor. We'll see next week when they practice for real.

Thomas (ATL)

I know its way early to be asking this, but if the Falcons can't reach an agreement with Baker, what's the chance of them going after Bushrod, assuming he hits free agency?

Pat Yasinskas (1:06 PM)

You know, I'd take Baker over Bushrod.

Thomas (ATL)

Think Harry Douglas could have more catches if the o-line gave Ryan more time to go through his progressions. With Jones, White and Gonzo, hea??s usually a last ditch effort.

Pat Yasinskas (1:12 PM)

Yeah, but might also be because Jones, White and Gonzo always get open.

Karl (Pitts, Ga)

Hey Pat, what are your thoughts on Mike Smith showing a video of past SB champions and them telling about their experiences and preparation for it? For me, I'm thinking it's about time. I think Smitty is doing all he can to get the playoff monkey off our back!

Pat Yasinskas (1:13 PM)

No doubt Smitty is pulling out all the stops.

Jeremy Cartersville GA [via mobile]

What do the falcons do at RB in the off season this feels like turners last year?

Pat Yasinskas (1:17 PM)

No doubt it's Turner's last year with Falcons. They'll bring in an RB to go with Rodgers. Just don't know if it will be through draft or free agency.

Richard (Nc)

Any more interviews set up for coach Nolan?..Think it's a distraction for the team?

Pat Yasinskas (1:18 PM)

Haven't heard of any more. Don't think it distracts players. Certainly takes Nolan away a little bit. But he's a pro. He can handle it.

SJ (Atlanta)

What do you think are the chances of Mike Nolan accepting the head coach offer at available vacancies?

Pat Yasinskas (1:21 PM)

Not sure he's going to get offer.

anthony [via mobile]

Do you think the falcons resting Turner is going to help in the playoffs

Pat Yasinskas (1:22 PM)

No, they limited his carries and kept him fresh all during the regular season. I didn't see that making one bit of difference.

Karl (Pitts, Ga)

Pat, if you could make the play calls for the Falcons next week, how often do you try to run the ball, if any; and how much do you use the no-huddle?

Pat Yasinskas (1:26 PM)

Glad you asked that one. I go no-huddle all game and throw the heck out of the ball. Give Rodgers a few carries here and there and some screens and use Turner as short-yardage back. But, mostly, throw the heck out of the ball.

Jeff (Mesa)

Tony Gonzalez has said on numerous occasions that he's 95% sure he's retiring this after this season. What's your gut feeling?

Pat Yasinskas (1:30 PM)

He's been saying similar things for several years. Would not be at all surprised to see him come back for one more year.

Kevin (Valdosta, Ga.)

Pat- I know I asked about this last week pertaining Smith possibly being fired if they are one and done in the playoffs, but I have heard that Arthur Blank thinks the world of Jon Gruden. Any thoughts?

Pat Yasinskas (1:31 PM)

Mike Smith is safe even if they're one and done. Safe for one more season, but he would enter that season with enormous pressure to not only win a playoff game, but to win the Super Bowl.

Westvleteren (St. Sixtus)

No to Gruden!

Pat Yasinskas (1:32 PM)

Oh, also on that same topic, Rich McKay is Falcons' president. Don't think there's a lot of love between him and Gruden.

Matt Riddle (Atlanta, Ga)

Everyone agrees that Nolan has improved our defense, but when you look at the stats they're not that much different than in years past. Why is that?

Pat Yasinskas (1:35 PM)

Hate to borrow a cliche from Smitty, but the "empty calories" thing he keeps saying does make some sense. They've led a lot, so teams have put up a lot of yards while playing catch up.

Francis T (Brooklyn, NY)

I think Harry douglass will b x factor especially since he is doing punt returns. What's your take?

Pat Yasinskas (1:36 PM)

Man, I hope they use him on returns in the playoffs. Can't figure out why they stuck with Franks for so long.

Richard (Chino Valley Az)

As a Falcons fan should I be concerned about the way the Falcons played on Sunday?

Pat Yasinskas (1:40 PM)

No, it didn't mean anything. Be more concerned with how they practice and prepare for the playoff game.

Jeremy (Brownsville, Tx )

With William Moores getting injured at the end of the year, Falcons able to resign him at a discount?

Pat Yasinskas (1:40 PM)

Doubt it. It was only a hamstring. Not like an ACL where he'd be rehabbing all offseason.

Cory (idaho) [via mobile]

Do you really believe the falcons won't resign grimes?

Pat Yasinskas (1:41 PM)

I think they'll make a solid offer. But I think they'll also draw a line on how high they'll go. If he can get more elsewhere, he could be gone.

Eric (Atlanta)

More touches in 1st playoff game? Turner or Rodgers?

Pat Yasinskas (1:48 PM)

I hope it's Rodgers.

Do you expect Falcons to sign Matt Ryan to a max contract this summer to avoid speculation?

Yep, maybe even this spring.

Johnny Lowe ATL [via mobile]

Read a lot about other teams showing interest in Koetter, Nolan and even Armstrong. How great was that interest really?

Pat Yasinskas (1:50 PM)

I don't think any of them were No. 1 or even No. 2 on anybody's list.

Derrick (California)

Will Asante, Dante, and Abe be ready for practice next week?

Pat Yasinskas (1:51 PM)

Everything I'm hearing, yes.

Sam (CLT)

You hope its Rodgers?? You sound like a fan, now we know where your allegiance lies!

Pat Yasinskas (1:53 PM)

No, even as a reporter, it's just painful to watch Turner run.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you expect Falcons to sign Matt Ryan to a max contract this summer to avoid speculation?

Yep, maybe even this spring.

I think Jeremy has the NFL confused with the NBA. There is no such thing as a max contract in the NFL.

Turner would still be successful here if

1. He didn't gain 10-15 lbs every offseason

2. Our o line could hold up in the middle.

I think the 10-15 pounds, combined with turning 30 and legs that have 4 years of solid pounding are more the problem. Most rbs don't last past 5 years

Turners not going to be back. However, if he goes elsewhere where they have a good running OL, then I could se him being successful again for a short time.

Turner's career started going south when the Falcons lost Ovie to IR at the end of October 2011. Without a real good lead-blocking FB to help compensate for the Falcons OL run-blocking inadequacies, Turner has looked lost since then. Yep if a team good furnish Turner with a good lead-blocking FB and a decent run-blocking OL, then he should be able to be productive for a while longer. He has even looked good this year on several rare occasions, when he has had a nice open hole to run through.

Francis T (Brooklyn, NY)

I think Harry douglass will b x factor especially since he is doing punt returns. What's your take?

Pat Yasinskas

(1:36 PM)

Man, I hope they use him on returns in the playoffs. Can't figure out why they stuck with Franks for so long.

Another thing I never understand why Keith Armstrong and MS do certain things.

Turner's career started going south when the Falcons lost Ovie to IR at the end of October 2011. Without a real good lead-blocking FB to help compensate for the Falcons OL run-blocking inadequacies, Turner has looked lost since then. Yep if a team good furnish Turner with a good lead-blocking FB and a decent run-blocking OL, he should be able to be productive for a while longer. He has even looked good on several rare occasions this year, when he has had a nice open hole to run through.

This is not true at all, Turners had better games after Ovie went down.

They had Franks back there because HD was too valuable as the primary back up WR to lose.

I know, I was against HD returning punts but if they use Franks in playoffs I will be pissed. Hope they use HD like they had him return the punt in the Saints game when the Falcons needed a return.

Did anyone actually think Turner would be back? It would be surprising if you found someone saying other wise.

He's due to make 5.5 million dollars next year, LOL. Go look at the top ten back in the game, and their contracts. He shoulda been cut this year. He was great the first few years, but his time us up.

From an article written after 9 games....

To put this in context, this will focus on the amount of money Turner has made this year and compare it to his statistics. Turner makes $5 million this year and is the fourth highest-paid Falcon (tied with cornerback Dunta Robinson), just behind quarterback Matt Ryan, cornerback Brent Grimes (out this year due to injury) and wide receiver Roddy White.

For the record, Roddy is on pace for almost 1,500 receiving yards while Matty Ice is on pace to throw for almost 5,000 yards and 35 touchdowns with a QB rating of 102.6. Michael Turner is on pace to set his starter career-lows in touchdowns scored, rushing yards and average yards per rush.

With nine games played, Turner has made slightly more than $2.8 million. Gaining just 529 yards on the ground through those nine games, Turner makes about $5,300 per yard gained. His 140 rushes so far would give him more than $20,000 per rush attempt.

I know, I was against HD returning punts but if they use Franks in playoffs I will be pissed. Hope they use HD like they had him return the punt in the Saints game when the Falcons needed a return.

Pretty sure they had HD returning punts against TB to get him some work in before the playoffs.

This is not true at all, Turners had better games after Ovie went down.

I beg to differ. Before Ovie went down, Turner consistently had good games, ie over 100 yards. In the last 26 games since Ovie went down, Turner has only 3 games over 100 yards. And one of those three games was the last game of the 2011 regular season against the Bucs, where they had obviously already quit for the year. Just in the first 7 games of the 2011 season before Ovie was injured, Turner had 3 games over 100 yards and one game at 100 yards.

I beg to differ. Before Ovie went down, Turner consistently had good games, ie over 100 yards. In the last 26 games since Ovie went down, Turner has only 3 games over 100 yards. And one of those three games was the last game of the 2011 regular season against the Bucs, where they had obviously already quit for the year.

This year Turner is slow, ovie or no ovie wouldn't have mattered. Last year Turner had better games after Ovie went down. I can dig up a thread here from last week or two where it was discussed on Turner last year with ovie and with out ovie.