This Year Is All About Ryan

vafalconfan

A lot of talk about our team with new coordinators, schemes, etc.

However this is all about one player. Matt Ryan. If he comes out shaky and indecisive we're in big trouble..we are not playing the cardinals or the raiders this time of year. But if he comes out focused and has his head in the game we will go to the superbowl. The rest of the team is ready to take the next step, it's up to Ryan..

However this is all about one player. Matt Ryan. If he comes out shaky and indecisive we're in big trouble..we are not playing the cardinals or the raiders this time of year. But if he comes out focused and has his head in the game we will go to the superbowl. The rest of the team is ready to take the next step, it's up to Ryan..

I'm working on a special illustration I'll be posting on here in a few days that speaks right to that subject......

+1000 QFT

Experts/non-homers are not doubting MS or this team, they are doubting MR...QB driven league and MR is our guy.

Its not fair, but its the truth.

It would help if our offensive line can protect the guy though. It won't matter how focused he is if his main concern is running for his life.

Nope, the running game needs the O-line...MR needs to ball in the p/o justifying his MVP mentioning in the regular season and his gaudy

regular season record and stats.

No more excuses. MR record at home is impeccable...do it in the p/o.

I agree almost 100%. I think we can still win if Ryan is shaky, but its not ideal, and the run game would have to appear from nowhere. That would also mean the other team would have to be off as well though.

IF Ryan is playing like he was in NY and Det game, I really think we will go far. When Ryan is on, there arent many better. He is a game changer when on, it just worries me that the stale flat Ryan will come out.

I would rather him throw for 5 picks and 3 hundred yard than a 150 yard and no pick outing.

I want to see him play, not ball up because the OC and HC have him scared to sling it.

i wouldn't go so far as "5 picks" (that game was a true anomaly as 5 INTs = Ls almost always), but i agree with your point: let Ryan throw the ball around, including going deep. Playing passively/conservatively has not helped and with the running game regressing over the years, it's only going to produce worse results. Get a lead and let the Falcon D play aggressively, and the divisional round will be a convincing win. Play 'not to lose' and we'll end up with a close game in the 4th and the Falcons feeling all that pressure of previous playoff losses.

Guest Negatorris

+1000 QFT

Experts/non-homers are not doubting MS or this team, they are doubting MR...QB driven league and MR is our guy.

Because Ryan has been the sole problem of our playoff woes? Riiiiggghhhtttt.

LOL I THINK THE WHOLE TEAM HAS SUCKED IN THE PLAYOFFS! I'M SUCH A HOMER!

+1000 QFT

I don't buy it. Matt Ryan isn't Tony Romo. You might argue he had a Tony Romo moment in the GB game, but the Defense didn't force a single punt. The Giants game, the OL was getting manhandled. Matt didn't turn the ball over, and Roddy, Julio, Gonzo, or Turner literally did nothing to bail their QB out.

Not to mention the OC's head and heart were in Jacksonville, while the team was getting their arses handed to them by the Giants DL.

It's very similar to the Peyton Manning playoff issues. Peyton had some bad playoff moments, he even got blanked in his 3rd shot. Most would agree Dungy's conservative, cautious preparation and insistence on resting starters, and having them go into the playoffs cold were as every bit as damaging to the Colts as Peyton's bad play.

Dungy had the near exact same issues in Tampa, which is how he ended up in Indy.

If we lose in January, it's 90% Mike Smith.

Matt Ryan will be our QB long after Mike Smith leaves. If this team can't get it done in January, that's a Mike Smith/ Thomas Dimitroff problem more than it is a Matt Ryan issue.

By no means am I saying Matt doesn't deserve heat, or that he won't have blame, but it's just absurd to put it all on his shoulders.

Nobody's job at Flowery Branch is safer than Matt Ryan's.

Because Ryan has been the sole problem of our playoff woes? Riiiiggghhhtttt.

LOL I THINK THE WHOLE TEAM HAS SUCKED IN THE PLAYOFFS! I'M SUCH A HOMER!

Sole reason...no. Big reason...yes. If he is the upper echelon QB that we would like to believe...then no more excuses.

We got Nolan and MR got to choose his "O". Sam Backer hasn't got a mention of negativity on this board and the O-line as a unit deserves

credit for MR considerations for MVP. MR in no way shape or form has been so badly hand-cuffed that his regular season excellence should

not transfer into respectable performances in his past 2 p/o games. If its a QB driven league...how is an MVP considered QB's team getting

doubts with HFA(11-3). The OP is correct and on point.

Sole reason...no. Big reason...yes. If he is the upper echelon QB that we would like to believe...then no more excuses.

We got Nolan and MR got to choose his "O". Sam Backer hasn't got a mention of negativity on this board and the O-line as a unit deserves

credit for MR considerations for MVP. MR in no way shape or form has been so badly hand-cuffed that his regular season excellence should

not transfer into respectable performances in his past 2 p/o games. If its a QB driven league...how is an MVP considered QB's team getting

doubts with HFA(11-3). The OP is correct and on point.

Lets see what QB have been doing in playoffs when the Defense gave up more than 21 points in last 7 years.

Brady 1-5

Peyton Manning 1-4

Eli Manning 0-3

Joe Flacco 0-3.

Aaron Rodgers :1-1

Only Kurt Warner had a 3-2 record in playoffs despite the defense giving up points. Big Ben is at 3-3.

Its funny how these Elite QB folded when the Defense gave up more than 21 points. Defenses win Playoff games and Championships.

Edited by falcons007

I don't buy it. Matt Ryan isn't Tony Romo. You might argue he had a Tony Romo moment in the GB game, but the Defense didn't force a single punt. The Giants game, the OL was getting manhandled. Matt didn't turn the ball over, and Roddy, Julio, Gonzo, or Turner literally did nothing to bail their QB out.

Not to mention the OC's head and heart were in Jacksonville, while the team was getting their arses handed to them by the Giants DL.

It's very similar to the Peyton Manning playoff issues. Peyton had some bad playoff moments, he even got blanked in his 3rd shot. Most would agree Dungy's conservative, cautious preparation and insistence on resting starters, and having them go into the playoffs cold were as every bit as damaging to the Colts as Peyton's bad play.

Dungy had the near exact same issues in Tampa, which is how he ended up in Indy.

If we lose in January, it's 90% Mike Smith.

Matt Ryan will be our QB long after Mike Smith leaves. If this team can't get it done in January, that's a Mike Smith/ Thomas Dimitroff problem more than it is a Matt Ryan issue.

By no means am I saying Matt doesn't deserve heat, or that he won't have blame, but it's just absurd to put it all on his shoulders.

Nobody's job at Flowery Branch is safer than Matt Ryan's.

Its on MR just like it was on Romo, you don't think Flacco is under the microscope(pressure)...its not fair but its a NFL QB marketed league.

Until PM won a SB he deserved doubt just like when he was at TN...who wants to be the greatest QB(regular season)

If people don't believe in the Falcons, then they don't believe in the QB...too much regular season success to believe otherwise at this time.

Lets what QB have been doing in playoffs when the Defense gave up more than 21 points in last 7 years.

Brady 1-5

Peyton Manning 1-4

Eli Manning 0-3

Joe Flacco 0-3.

Aaron Rodgers :1-1

Only Kurt Warner had a 3-2 record in playoffs despite the defense giving up points. Big Ben is at 3-3.

Its funny how these Elite QB folded when the Defense gave up more than 21 points. Defenses win Playoff games and Championships.

...and with all that, its still all about MR.

It would help if our offensive line can protect the guy though. It won't matter how focused he is if his main concern is running for his life.

I hope if he has to run for his life, he'd make a quick decision and do so.That'll seriously screw-up any DC plan on how to pressure him if he's escaping the pocket for yards.

OK, so by this notion, Matt Ryan gets all the credit if the Falcons win a championship, right? I just ask because while the QB is the main focal point, I can't blame him if we see WR's dropping balls, ball carriers fumbling, defense playing like dogs. What I saw last year in New York was just an offense that had no idea of what it wanted to do. They were stuck in neutral.

In the NFL it seems that your legacy is defined by championships. Matt Ryan instantly becomes validated accross the NFL if he wins the Super Bowl right? None of this giving the post season MVP to another player or unit, its all Matt right?

These qustions are all a bit loaded. I just know that no matter what, there are many that will still want to say, Matt is an ok QB, not elite, not a top 5 in the game no matter what he does. Personally, I feel football is a team game. You win as a team, you lose as a team. Yes, certain players do stand out and appear to carry you, but nobody wins it by themselves. You could give Tom Brady the every #5 NFL receiver in the NFL along with every teams 7th or 8th offensive lineman and every teams #3 RB and they would never win a championship in New England. You still must have guys that can play and win their one on one situations on a given down.

I don't mind it being all about Ryan. I think the Falcons must realize that the old notion of "play defense and run the ball" is out the window. It is a QB driven league and I think you have to let your guys throw it all over the place. If on the first 4 or 5 carries of a game our backs can't average at least 4 yards a carry, "F" the run. Thats enought of a test to show me what the O-line is gonig to do in terms of opening holes. I don't need wasted downs on 28 running plays. Run enough to keep them honest but lean on Matt and the pass.

Its on MR just like it was on Romo, you don't think Flacco is under the microscope(pressure)...its not fair but its a NFL QB marketed league.

Until PM won a SB he deserved doubt just like when he was at TN...who wants to be the greatest QB(regular season)

If people don't believe in the Falcons, then they don't believe in the QB...too much regular season success to believe otherwise at this time.

Stop comparing Romo to Ryan. There is a reason Romo is ridiculed and that's because he always crumbles under the spotlight. Dude has been in the NFL 10 Years and has one Playoff win to show for it. Ryan on the other hand is only in his 5th year and has a long road ahead of him. It doesn't matter if he is 0-3, it's amzing that he has taken the Falcons to the Playoffs that many times since he has been here considering that the Falcons have only made the Playoffs 12 times in their ENTIRE history.. When the pressure is on Ryan exceeds and we have seen that time and time again.The Playoff wins will come for Ryan. Hopefully a few Superbowl rings too.