Wilbon: Redskins Or Seahawks Will Beat Falcons

The Falcons had the best record in the NFC this season, but an ESPN commentator sees at least two other teams better than them in the conference playoffs.

Michael Wilbon discussed the Redskins-Seahawks game on ESPN 980 this week and said he felt both teams were better than the Falcons.

“I think the winner will beat Atlanta. I think the winner’s a better team than Atlanta. I would never use the word upset. I think the Redskins are better than Atlanta, and I think Seattle’s better than Atlanta.”

The Falcons beat the Redskins 24-17 on October 7. Atlanta is 13-3, Seattle is 11-5 and Washington is 10-6.

Wilbon’s comments continue a trend.

On Dec. 9, NBC analyst Rodney Harrison said, “Atlanta is the No. 1 seed, but no one is afraid to play Atlanta,” Harrison said. “To me, the team to beat in the NFC is the New York Giants.”

A week later, Atlanta routed the Giants 34-0.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly feel a strange calm in the wake of all these fools calling us out and saying we're going one and done again. We are going to blow the pants off of any team that comes into the Dome next weekend regardless of who it is.

But, come one, Redskins better than us? Oui. Next Sunday can't get here fast enough. I look forward to all of these pundits getting onto our bandwagon after we decimate a team next weekend.

Why does this not surprise me? It's pretty trendy these days to piss on the Falcons, especially if you work for ESPN. Everything that the Falcons have done this year has pretty much been written off. We've put ourselves in this position though. We've had trouble in the playoffs and nobody trusts us. No matter who we end up playing I can guarantee you that 75% of all media outlets are going to favor the other team. I believe that both the Redskins and the Seahawks are a tad overrated and the media wants to see them as the next Packers '10 and Giants '11 but I don't believe either of them are.

I like Wilbon, but he's a Bears homer and couldn't be more wrong about us.

Agree. To say the Redskins are better is ridiculous. The Falcons are far and away more talented than the Skins. The Seahawks have a more complete team, and could upset the Falcons, but to say they are better is not really the case. I look forward to seeing what Wilbon and others will say if the Falcons do the unthinkable and actually win (like it is totally improbable to the media).

The Falcons had the best record in the NFC this season, but an ESPN commentator sees at least two other teams better than them in the conference playoffs.

Michael Wilbon discussed the Redskins-Seahawks game on ESPN 980 this week and said he felt both teams were better than the Falcons.

“I think the winner will beat Atlanta. I think the winner’s a better team than Atlanta. I would never use the word upset. I think the Redskins are better than Atlanta, and I think Seattle’s better than Atlanta.”

The Falcons beat the Redskins 24-17 on October 7. Atlanta is 13-3, Seattle is 11-5 and Washington is 10-6.

Wilbon’s comments continue a trend.

On Dec. 9, NBC analyst Rodney Harrison said, “Atlanta is the No. 1 seed, but no one is afraid to play Atlanta,” Harrison said. “To me, the team to beat in the NFC is the New York Giants.”

A week later, Atlanta routed the Giants 34-0.

ESPN stands for , "Egnorunt (all of their commentators), Social Mis-fits (all of em), Panzy arse Nayseyers (all of em.again), while rich in money, (again all) seems lacking in intellect....but then again, concussions and all, etc... Falcons rule!

Michael Wilbon has no reason to believe otherwise.

Other than the fact that we already played The Washington RGIII's and before Griffin got knocked out, he had done nothing to note. Oh and that was on their home turf, but yeah...clearly Washington has a better team.

Also, as far as Wilson, I want to play the Seahawk's. Everyone talks about "their secondary this" and "their defense that"..."Russel Wilson will walk on water at Centennial Park before the game, and then put up 70 pts on the Falcons like it was Wisconsin vs Nebraska". I want them to come to the dome, employ the Amoeba defense, and confuse Wilson, make him look like a rookie, and then get our revenge against the Green Bay Discount Double Check's and go on to beat Peyton again for the Lombardi.

"Can't win in the playoffs! SQUAWK! Can't win in the playoffs! SQUAWK! Can't win in the playoffs! SQUAWK! Can't win in the playoffs! SQUAWK! Can't win in the playoffs! SQUAWK!"

I'm so sick of these media 'talking parrot heads' living in the past and pissing on the Falcons for a living. Me and Gritz got something coming for 'em, y'all....a post game smack-down 'toon that'll put 'em in their place.

Falcons gotta take care of business on the 13th or y'all will never see it, but I don't think that's gonna be a problem! wink.png

I would be willing to be RGIII doesn't want to come to ATL. I'm not sure SW's closing speed but he has to be one of the fastest LB's in the NFL. I would bank on our #56 against Wilson or RG any day of the week. I wish the whole team could wear #56 if RG comes to town!

Mike Greenberg on Mike and Mike said the same thing yesterday and today.

The divisional round is setting up perfectly from the 'motivational' standpoint. Falcons players and coaches were already motivated to get the 0-fer from around their neck. Now that most, dang nearly all, of the talking heads will either be picking the Falcons to lose outright or unwilling to pick the Falcons to win, the team will be spitting nails to "prove them all wrong." Having HFA while still being able to rightfully claim the mantle of the "nobody believes in us" team is a beautiful thing.