One Play That I've Noticed The Falcons Defense Having Trouble With...

Crossing Routes...Detroit burned us pretty good. Tampa ran it, but didn't hurt us as much and a few other teams as well. The Defense looks out of synch when the WRs run crossing routes. I'm hoping that the coaches don't over look this pattern from the opposing WRs/OCs. It's the one play that scares me more that any one of the 3 RBs that we'll have to face!

thats because its mostly against the Nickle back..... i would assume this is where the grimes injury could burn us..... if grimes were playing then Drob would be our nickle corner....... but our safties have been balling and the teams we might face in the first game dont have great passing games

I'm worried a little. Smitty doesn't adjust well. Remember in Ryan's first playoff appearence....the Defense repeadly jumped Ryan's snap count and we didn't bother to change up the cadence at all. To me, it was a small thing and turned into this HUGE monster.

I'm worried a little. Smitty doesn't adjust well. Remember in Ryan's first playoff appearence....the Defense repeadly jumped Ryan's snap count and we didn't bother to change up the cadence at all. To me, it was a small thing and turned into this HUGE monster.

Ugh, geez, yea you right .....what is so very disturbing it was done not only by Zona, but to some extent bye NYG as well, and we still did not counter or make them jump or draw them offsides.....we need to learn from history on that one, and that is one Ryan flaw he does not have a cadence to draw defenders offsides.....Chandler and Vick were both very good at it ........

Ugh, geez, yea you right .....what is so very disturbing it was done not only by Zona, but to some extent bye NYG as well, and we still did not counter or make them jump or draw them offsides.....we need to learn from history on that one, and that is one Ryan flaw he does not have a cadence to draw defenders offsides.....Miller and Vick were both very good at it ........

Such a minor thing and no one in the organization thought to do it. That was a scary time for us.

Crossing Routes...Detroit burned us pretty good. Tampa ran it, but didn't hurt us as much and a few other teams as well. The Defense looks out of synch when the WRs run crossing routes. I'm hoping that the coaches don't over look this pattern from the opposing WRs/OCs. It's the one play that scares me more that any one of the 3 RBs that we'll have to face!

Calvin Johnson did that do quite a few teams this year. NY has good WR's as does Arizona if they had someone to get them the ball. It's a problem but you know if folks on a message board notice it, Smith and Nolan know about it.

I was at that game. If there was a cadence that the defense could pick up on - then they had special hearing equipment.

You couldn't hear a bomb go off in front of you in that place.

I'm not exaggerating. Loudest game I've EVER been to.

Smitty said later - they were in silent count the whole game.

They were jumping all game - and offsides way more than was called.

I think that the snap count issue is in the past. I don't think I have noticed teams anticipating the count this year. I also think Defensive and Offnesive adjustments are much better this year(Koetter and Nolan) than in years past. The old coordinators did not know what an adjustment was. Matt also does a good job of getting us up to the line quickly so he can read the defenses.

The problem I see(I remember a post about this a while ago) is that all of the audibles seem to be Running plays. Will that change in the playoffs?

I was at that game. If there was a cadence that the defense could pick up on - then they had special hearing equipment.

They were jumping all game - and offsides way more than was called..

Exacly and I'm not one to complain about poor officiating, but that was ridculious

Edited by vabchbirdlover

Go back now and watch the Arizona game, it's different than when you watched it then. They were offsides no less than 5 times in the first half that were not called as offsides. It wasn't that they knew the snapcount, it was that they were allowed to be offsides. In fact one play Dockett literally jumped past Dahl and was almost to Ryan before they blew the play dead.

Guest Negatorris

Don't worry about it. The defense played vanilla against Stafford and mostly everyone late in the season. Once we get into the playoffs, you'll see the D we saw against Brees, and both Mannings.

Depends which game tape you put on, If you put the one against Broncos,Saints,Giants and Redskins you will see a different game it is a different story. Just because it happened in last two games means its not a consistent problem. I bet Mike Nolan will most probably be prepared for it as opponents will try to run some of those plays.

Edited by falcons007

I thought the play that was going to be mentioned was the shotgun draw play. I've seen it several times, knew it was coming on third down and we let them get it almost every time. It was especially frustrating because in a few games, like the Giants, it was the only play that was working for them and it was obvious they were going to run it.

Don't worry about it. The defense played vanilla against Stafford and mostly everyone late in the season. Once we get into the playoffs, you'll see the D we saw against Brees, and both Mannings.

Hope you are right on this point. That's how we need to play from here out.

Ugh, geez, yea you right .....what is so very disturbing it was done not only by Zona, but to some extent bye NYG as well, and we still did not counter or make them jump or draw them offsides.....we need to learn from history on that one, and that is one Ryan flaw he does not have a cadence to draw defenders offsides.....Chandler and Vick were both very good at it ........

Well to be fair ... Az was offside MULTIPLE times but it was never called.

Running from shot-gun formation is also a huge problem for this defense.

I can call when the other team is going to do it, and it goes for 7-8 yards every time.

that's cause we have nickel defense in and we only have 6 men in the box. We don't have one player on our dline that commands a double team when it's a run or pass. Only Abe gets doubled and that's on pass plays

They were jumping all game - and offsides way more than was called.

What I'm saying in reference to cadence is the ball always seemed to be snapped on 1 and never 2. We never tried to slow them down with a draw or anything.

Thank you! The Cards were offside the WHOLE **** GAME!!!

I remember thinking that on quite a few plays which got me thinking why continue to go on the same count. We were always taught to go on the first movement of the ball not the QB's voice or anything else. Maybe McClure was doing something to tip them off and didn't know it.