Going To The 3-4

I think Nolan needs to go to the 3-4 after this season. This is why.

If we keep a 4 man line, not only do we need to complement Abe, we also need to find his replacement. TD has had no luck finding even one above average DE, let alone two.

So we need to go 3-4. Finding one space hogging DT would be far simpler than finding two capable DEs.

I have been seeing a lot of mock drafts lately, concentrating on getting some DE help. I know nothing about college ball. Would anyone care to make a mock concentrating on 3-4 personnel?

Edited by egoprime II

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Nolan needs to go to the 3-4 after this season. This is why.

If we keep a 4 man line, not only do we need to complement Abe, we also need to find his replacement. TD has had no luck finding even one above average DE, let alone two.

So we need to go 3-4. Finding one space hogging DT would be far simpler than finding two capable DEs.

I'm up for it. I wanted it to be as legit as possible. Not saying we will transition into the 3-4 look but I needed an idea to start on so thanks. I believe the quote goes "You were thinking it, but you said it"

I have been seeing a lot of mock drafts lately, concentrating on getting some DE help. I know nothing about college ball. Would anyone care to make a mock concentrating on 3-4 personnel?

With the personnel we have, we are better as a 4-3 defense.

Personnel? Changes.

Atlanta played a lot of 3 man fronts with Babs/Walker/Peters this year. Atlanta being able to play whatever defense it wants? I think is more important to key in on than 'considering' oneself a 3-4 or 4-3.

Atlanta has a hybrid defense by way of having a hybrid/non-conventional coach. His plays are objectives and choices of where to challenge to other team, by means of challenging his players outside of traditional systems.

I think we tend to incorporate some 3-4 stuff. I've seen Bierman all over the place at times. I don't think the Falcons would pass on a pass rushing 3-4 type in the 2013 draft. I think the "scheme diverse" guys seem to be all the rage. Aldon Smith play with his hand on the ground sometimes, other times he is standing up. Seems as if the old days of guys being strictly a 3-4 rusher or a 4-3 are gone.

I think guys like Damontre Moore, Dion Jordan, Michael Buchanan, Corey Lemonier, Brandon Jenkins and a few others will be looked at to see if they can just get after the QB, period. 3 point stance or 2 point, just get after them. I just hope someone is able to keep up the scheme diversity if Nolan leaves. I don't think Nolan will be here past 2013. He may wait for a better job, but I honestly don't see him just staying a DC. Either he leaves or Smith gets fired and he takes over. I think him leaving is more likely.

Done.

Hey there, I just got back and saw your post, and your mock. Thank you much fella :)

Interesting mock....we use a high pick on DT, then start looking for a couple LBs which are way way easier to find than 4-3 DEs, plus we may be able to get Matthews and Mass on the field more.

We could still use Abe in passing situations on third down, and OLB at times. He has the speed.

Personnel? Changes.

Atlanta played a lot of 3 man fronts with Babs/Walker/Peters this year. Atlanta being able to play whatever defense it wants? I think is more important to key in on than 'considering' oneself a 3-4 or 4-3.

Atlanta has a hybrid defense by way of having a hybrid/non-conventional coach. His plays are objectives and choices of where to challenge to other team, by means of challenging his players outside of traditional systems.

I like the way Nolan does things too. I just don't want to see TD using a lot of high draft picks on DEs if they are so hard to find especially given our recent history drafting DEs.

We DO have players who can play 3-4 DEs,, and several guys who could play LB in a 3-4.

Can't just change 1-2 guys up front you also gotta re tool the LBers.

That's the thing. We have Mass, Biermann, Matthews as DEs. They could go over to being LBs. Even Sidbury might find use as a 3-4 end.

And if we do need LBs, well they are easier to find than 4-3 ends.

The 1980 Falcons used a 3-4 in 1980, the LBs racked up some huge stats. Glanville went back to it iin the early 1990's to mixed results.

Edited by egoprime II