Atlanta Falcons: Michael Turner Suffered Torn Groins Last Two Seasons

FLOWERY BRANCH — If the Falcons are looking for things to draw on that are different from recent one-and-done trips to the playoffs, they could start with Michael Turner.

The Falcons’ running back has carried the ball 222 times this season, well below his 301 total of last season, which was second-most in the NFL. That leaves him feeling that much fresher as the Falcons enter the divisional round of the playoffs on Jan. 13.

Entering the Falcons previous three playoffs trips, in 2008, 2010 and 2012, Turner had 376, 334 and 301 carries in the regular season, respectively. He led the NFL in that category in 2008 and 2010. In each of those three ensuing playoffs losses, Turner had no more than 42 yards rushing.

Turner rushed 18 times for 42 yards in 2008 against Arizona, 10 times for 39 yards in 2010 against Green Bay and 15 times for 41 years in 2011 against the Giants.

In first-year coordinator Dirk Koetter’s offense, the Falcons don’t use the power run game like they have in the past. But that means Turner is fresher, both by circumstances and by design.

“I tore my groin the last two years, one side one year, the other side the next year,” Turner said. “So I don’t have those problems coming into this year. I’m good.”

The Falcons finished the regular season ranked 29th out of 32 teams in the NFL with only 87.3 yards rushing per game. But the three teams they could match up with next week, Washington (169.3), Minnesota (164.6) and Seattle (161.2) rank first, second and third respectively. The Falcons know they’re not in that conversation anymore, but still see the importance of running the ball with success in the playoffs, using Turner up the middle and Jacquizz Rogers on the edge.

“I think we’re our best when the run is working,” offensive tackle Tyson Clabo said. “Now whether or not we’re leaning on it, and running it every play, that’s probably not going to happen. But when our run game is successful, four or five yards a carry, I think we’re at our best at that point.

Still doesn't explain his lack of production this year, fresh or not. Strange that this is just now coming out. Odd timing considering how bad he's looked.

Anyone that solely puts blame on Michael Turner is ignorant to the game. Turner is a little slower but he is still capable of being a good back if he's not having to break tackles behind the line.

Turner has less plays which went for loss than last year, He is not being hit behind the line as much but he is not any faster with grass in front of him compared to last year. Hope he picks up the game and the OL and second level blockers help him out more now that he is slow.

Edited by falcons007

Our offense doesn't revolve around the position anymore. I think it's time to just cut ties after this year with Turner. We should be able to get a decent back that will be more effective than Turner has in the 3rd or 4th (That's if we solidify the O-LINE with a FA pickup or Draft one early)

Anyone that solely puts blame on Michael Turner is ignorant to the game. Turner is a little slower but he is still capable of being a good back if he's not having to break tackles behind the line.

The 08 or even 09 Turner is nothing like the 12 Turner. He has zero speed left. The line hasn't been doing him any favors, but a back with some burst would do much better with the same line. His breaking tackles behind the line has as much to do with him as the line. Turner is no longer capable of being the premier back.

This is coming from someone who played all throughout school. 65% of the blame goes to Turner, 35% to the line.

Our offense doesn't revolve around the position anymore. I think it's time to just cut ties after this year with Turner. We should be able to get a decent back that will be more effective than Turner has in the 3rd or 4th (That's if we solidify the O-LINE with a FA pickup or Draft one early)

Turner being cut is only a matter of time. He won't be back in 2013 under any circumstances. He has been a great back for us, and has helped Matt grow into the player he is now.

Why would we draft one early? Go look at the production of back drafted early vs those that were drafted late. No reason to use a 1st - 3rd round pick on a RB when you can hit gold in later rounds.

The 08 or even 09 Turner is nothing like the 12 Turner. He has zero speed left. The line hasn't been doing him any favors, but a back with some burst would do much better with the same line. His breaking tackles behind the line has as much to do with him as the line. Turner is no longer capable of being the premier back.

This is coming from someone who played all throughout school. 65% of the blame goes to Turner, 35% to the line.

I agree Turner isn't the same and gets blame, but Turner is what he is, a straight line running back that needs holes. He's always needed them, just much more so now.

This applies to ANY 'power' back.

This is why Quizz/Snelling get more looks than Turner. Less 'chance' of being stuff.

Problem has been the OL. Point blank. Also, no true power blocking FB anymore makes this worse. As well as Turner's slight decline.

Go back to the Tampa game just this past week. 13 runs between those three. There were 9 rushes of less than 3 yards or stuffed. Four were by Turner. three by Quizz, and two by Snelling.

I think the loss of Ovie had a big impact on our running game this season. A lot of times we don't even have a FB on the field. Also in Koetter's defense we haven't really needed our running game like in Matt's early years.

Yep unfortunately Mike Cox doesn't hold a candle to how valuable Ovie was.With him back there 9 tim out of 10 all these short yradage running issues would'nt even be on the radar.

I agree Turner isn't the same and gets blame, but Turner is what he is, a straight line running back that needs holes. He's always needed them, just much more so now.

I'm with you. I've accepted that Turner won't be back although I think there's a slim chance he gets 1 more year with us if he restructures, etc.

That said, people keep clamoring for a new RB and we're not gonna see a lot of difference unless Konz improves sufficiently and there's an upgrade at center. I know McClure is a fan fave and all but for all he brings he has not been good at getting push at the point of contact. He was never great at it but it's been a bit worse this year. I don't see TD bringing him back as the starter.

I think the loss of Ovie had a big impact on our running game this season. A lot of times we don't even have a FB on the field. Also in Koetter's defense we haven't really needed our running game like in Matt's early years.

ovie actually said something about turner not having good leads blocking from his full back during the saints game on nfl network I think. If not then it was another game

If you saw Jerome Bettis in his prime with 3 guys hitting him right after receiving the rock, what would you say?

Washed up? Or problems with blocking?

Fact is. ^Objectively? Turner, Quizz, and Snelling ALL have been stuffed this year.

It's ONLY because Quizz is an 'elusive' back and not a power back, that he has a whopping .3?(is it?) YPC higher than Turner. He gets stuffed a bit himself. Same thing for Snelling when he has carried to rock.

Objectively, anyway. Subject of better back is a different story. Quizz is obviously the better option overall. It's also why he has the most playing time. However, Atlanta isn't relying on elusiveness at running the ball. It's why they use a screen game more anyway, also helps to put the ball in your MVP's hands more per play, in Ryan. Plus, this helps the pass blocking to an extent by utilizing edge plays(tosses included) such as screens.

^Ala, Detroit play with Drew Davis fake toss to Quizz, TD screen opposite side to Roddy.

Remember the play-action hand-off prior in that game to Turner with Cox as a lead blocker? TD Roddy on 3rd and short.

Fact is, BOTH guys have usage.

Dirk is doing the best he can. This includes using the strengths of all players, the OL as well. Instead of allowing weaknesses to be ignored and trying to play 'straight up' football ala vanilla coach Mike 'small balls' Mularkey.

Pwned. smile.png

Edited by slimjim

Well we all knew Turner had groin issues the last couple years.

He also had Oline and FB issues the last couple years.

When we could block? He delivered.

Five straight double digit rushing TD seasons. How many other backs can claim that? Take them TDs away and see what you get.

Hopefully Smitty is working on run blocking and run defense at the Branch this week cause those are the two weaknesses our playoff opponents will try to exploit.

This applies to ANY 'power' back.

This is why Quizz/Snelling get more looks than Turner. Less 'chance' of being stuff.

Problem has been the OL. Point blank. Also, no true power blocking FB anymore makes this worse. As well as Turner's slight decline.

Go back to the Tampa game just this past week. 13 runs between those three. There were 9 rushes of less than 3 yards or stuffed. Four were by Turner. three by Quizz, and two by Snelling.

I think it has been both.

Turner, for some bizarre reason given his size and style, is a run to daylight RB. He takes the ball and immediately looks for a seam, often hesitating when he doesn't see one, then just as often getting tackled near the LOS.

Notice how he sets up 7+ yards behind the center. Given this line, Turner's weight (and thus loss of initial burst), and his propensity to hesitate, were I the RB coach I would make him line up no further than 6 yards behind the ball to help him get to the line one step faster. I believe he could break through some creases just before they quickly close because of the other issue, undersized and under performing interior guards and center, particularly McClure and Konz.

And by all means, stop running Turner wide as he is nearly always run down by linebackers or safeties!

As a true fan of this team, I can and will not hate on the Burner. I just refuse. laugh.png

After what he helped bring us back from in '07 by being probably a top three RB back and in the MVP talk for part of that following '08 season, I know he is what he is now, but all the "we don't need him" talk can't be me. I'm gonna wish him well. We once needed him bad and if we didn't with the way that blocking was part-time horrid in those days, Matt Ryan would be Joey Harrington right now. Gonzo might be a Patriot or a Packer right now. For those talking from a pure X and O perspective on how best to win now I get you, no hate just wanted to show "Magic City" some luv for the time he was the man here is all cause this may be his last days as a Falcon. At one time he was the man and y'all know it. We all get old.

Plus, torn groin? I would imagine I couldn't even walk fast with that for YEARS. Much respect Burner...rip lol