Falcan Moore's (Early) Mock Offseason 1.0

For my mock offseason last year, just check this link out: http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3941045-falcan-moores-mock-offseason-version-09/

I was obviously wrong on Dunta, but everything else would've been nice...too bad most of the guys I wanted had their draft stock shoot so far up. Guess GMs saw the same things.

Figured I’d throw up my own mock offseason since most people are doing theirs right about now. I was torn between having us pick #30-32, and decided to lowball it just for the sake of speculation. Really think we have a good shot at winning it all, but #30 is a good spot to have us pick for now.

Since this is an earlier thread and cap figures are still somewhat up in the air, what with restructuring and so-such, I’m not going to list figures, as much as I like to do that. Instead, I’ll just give some reasonable FAs for us to go after in the offseason. I honestly think we can make this work, but listing it all out before we’re sure of anything would be an exercise in futility.

In free agency, there are really only three guys I feel we should pursuit heavily, those three being Chris Ivory (an RFA, sadly), Jared Cook, and Randy Starks.

Chris Ivory would fill a much needed void at RB, no offense to Turner…I mean, maybe my opinion on the guy will change in the postseason, but he just looks out of gas. I love what he did with us while he was here, and he seems like a really nice guy, but he doesn’t hit the hole very hard anymore. Ivory runs angry. There won’t be a hole, so he makes one. He’s the yin to Rodgers yang, giving us a potent one-two punch. Biggest issue is that he doesn’t seem to be much of a threat in the passing game, much like Turner, so the teams might play off of that and find us predictable because of it. Funny thing is, he’s looked good when he gets the ball in open space the few times I’ve seen him…they just hardly use him that way.

Jared Cook is an extremely athletic tight end, and if TG happens to come back for another year (doubt it if we win the SB) he’ll have a chance to learn under one of the greats. Either way, he’s young, and he’d be a great target for Ryan, and the transition for him from Gonzales to Cook would be fairly seamless.

Starks, meanwhile, is a space eating DT that excels both at stuffing the run and collapsing the pocket. He’s not gigantic, but he’d be the biggest DT we have by far, and he is (in my humble opinion) what we need most on the DL.

I’m having the Falcons trade down, due to the wealth of talent found in the second round. Seriously, it’s that good. The talent drop-off from pick 30 to pick 50 is minimal. I found us a suitable candidate in the Miami Dolphins, who happen to have two second round picks, and they’ll no doubt be looking for a wide receiver – which is where we come in. Our pick would be good enough for them to snag Justin Hunter, who they wouldn’t have the option to get otherwise (unless he falls pretty far). The only other way they could get a top receiver like him is by using their pick in the first at #12, and honestly, that’d be a huge reach to get a WR at a pick like that…and a waste.

So, with no further ado, the Falcons trade their 1st round (30) and 3rd round (92nd) picks to the Dolphins for their 2nd round (42) and 2nd round (57) picks. The rounds are taking into account bountygate, obviously.

Round 2 (42nd pick): With this pick, I have us selecting Dallas Thomas to play right guard, possibly even left. He could play tackle, too – another reason I see this being likely, as Smitty loves his hybrid players. Honestly, I can see him and Clabo even switching places, returning both to their more natural positions, and I’d like to see them at least try that out in preseason…I like that line more than any other I’ve seen. Thomas can be a beast at the NFL level if you ask me, and he’s a first round level talent that’s slipped down into the second on mocks, imho. (BAKER)|(BLALOCK)|(KONZ)|(CLABO)|(THOMAS)

Round 2 (57th pick): Ah, I remember when I used to think we could get Ezekial Ansah around here…before his status as a prospect exploded. Now, he’s projected as a mid-first rounder. Bummer times. Instead, I have us taking Alexander Ogletree at ILB, who for some reason is still ranked as a low second/high third round prospect. Personally, I think he would be an excellent addition, someone who could be a staple of our 4-3 and Nickel packages for years to come, an every-down LB…but, then again, GMs know better than websites. He could easily be drafted way earlier. If he falls this far, we NEED to grab him.

Round 2 (60th pick): Honestly, we have most of our biggest concerns taken care of at this point…that is, with one huge exception. Corey Lemonier has been falling down several boards recently, and I even see him as a third round pick occasionally. Since we already have Dallas Thomas, we don’t need Larry Warford, so Lemonier is the obvious pick here. He’s versatile in his ability to play DE and OLB both, something that Nolan will no doubt love. Might need to work on containing the run, but he’s a fantastic edge rusher. So much raw potential, and technique can be taught.

Round 4 (124th pick): Kwame Geathers is a very large man. 6’6 and 350 lbs large. Perhaps that’s influencing my decision, especially since the other option was McCullers, but I’m really looking forward to seeing a somewhat raw DT develop under Nolan. The guy could be the foundation of a 3-4 package. Dude has skills, especially when it comes to clogging up run lanes. He engulfs double teams.

Round 4 (comp): Not sure exactly how many comps are going to be awarded, so I’m not going to put what pick this is. Sanders Commings fits as my CB pick here. Dude is 6’2 and 216 but fast, and he shows up big time in the big games. He improved a lot from his junior season, and I can see that continuing to improve under the guidance of a vet like Asante. He might never be a top CB in the NFL, but he’s physical and plays the ball well, and you can never have enough good DBs.

Round 5 (156th pick): Tavarres King would make a solid #3 WR if you ask me – much better than Douglas, anyways. It would also make me rest a bit easier with Douglas doing kick returns and punt returns…if we keep him, that is. Douglas is a sketchy route runner. King, on the other hand, has a lot of potential, with great release off the line, good size, and much better route running ability. Could even be the number two Jenkins never was in the future, since he’s learning under Julio and Roddy.

Round 6 (188th pick): Cameron Lawrence is my OLB sleeper pick. He might be good in rotation, but failing that, he’s bound to be a fantastic special teamer and good depth. High motor player with great instincts and a nose for the ball carrier.

Round 7 (220nd pick): What’s there to do in the 7th round but take a risk? If Marcus Lattimore is still there – and he’s likely to just be an undrafted free agent – we should snatch him up. It might just be that I feel for the guy, considering all he’s been through, but…well, TD does like his injury-prone players. Match made in heaven, right? In all honesty, though, he could be something special if he avoids getting injured. A definite favorite of mine, and I’m pulling for him to succeed, on the Falcons or off.

So, all in all, the players I’d like us to add look something like this:

DE – Corey Lemonier

DT – Randy Starks, Kwame Geathers

RB – Chris Ivory, Marcus Lattimore

TE – Jared Cook

WR – Tavarres King

OG – Dallas Thomas

CB – Sanders Commings

ILB – Alexander Ogletree

OLB – Cameron Lawrence

Thoughts?

Edited by Falcan Moore

All the projections I see have Alec going in the first. I think especially now with Ray Lewis leaving after the season that could be the perfect spot for Alec and they will more than likely be looking for a MLB early to fill Ray spot. I think Kevin Minter would be a better fit at that spot if you want a LB.

All the projections I see have Alec going in the first. I think especially now with Ray Lewis leaving after the season that could be the perfect spot for Alec and they will more than likely be looking for a MLB early to fill Ray spot. I think Kevin Minter would be a better fit at that spot if you want a LB.

That's so strange, the couple sites I were looking at had Minter ranked above Ogletree and Ogletree going in the mid to late 2nd. Even one had him in the 3rd.

That's so strange, the couple sites I were looking at had Minter ranked above Ogletree and Ogletree going in the mid to late 2nd. Even one had him in the 3rd.

I just saw something that said Todd Mcshay has him slotted at the number 17 pick. His workouts will volt him up because he is crazy athletic. He was a safety and my only issue with him is that he needs to put on some more weight. I love Minter though and if we could get him I would love it.

I've seen Ogletree as high as #18 and at the lowest the very top of the second round, but most have him going in the first.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1759787 was the one I was looking at mainly, think I looked at the WalterSports one wrong and saw him going as #20 in the 2nd round. Man, that blows. Figures though. Minter would work too, but Ogletree is something else.

I think Ogletree could fall, and I have seen Minter and Ogletree both interchanged at times, so I think they're neck and neck.

Did you mean to do an all- SEC draft? Nothing wrong with it, just wondering.

You're FA pickups are great though, I had the same ideas. Overall I like this mock and would be very happy with this.

LOVE the draft, I just wish you would have went with a young runningback in the draft even if you addressed it with a third, I would not be upset with this I'd LOVE it for sure tho, but I think Ogletree goes in the first but if you plugged Minter in their it would still be a great draft, good job buddy

I think Ogletree could fall, and I have seen Minter and Ogletree both interchanged at times, so I think they're neck and neck.

You're FA pickups are great though, I had the same ideas. Overall I like this mock and would be very happy with this.

Ogletree could fall where?

Completely accidental. I follow SEC a decent bit, so that probably has a lot to do with it, but I didn't even realize anything till you said so.

I'd say at the farthest early-mid 2nd. But I think he will go higher based off his athleticism. Teo and even Minter could go in front of him, so it's not impossible that he could fall a tad.

Teo will but I don't see Minter getting picked in front of Ogletree and don't really see Ogletree falling to mid second. I think his athleticism is really catching people's attention and I think he will have great workouts.

Going to be watching the Florida Louisville game tonight. Does anybody have some guys to watch other than the normal guys like Shariff Floyd, Matt Elam, etc.

Jordan Reed, gillislee are two I will be watching for. I haven't really looked at Louisville's draft class

Going to be watching the Florida Louisville game tonight. Does anybody have some guys to watch other than the normal guys like Shariff Floyd, Matt Elam, etc.

Adrian Bushell, CB Louisville #21

Jon Bostic, LB Florida #52

And my favorite:

Mike Gillislee, RB Florida #23

I'm sure you know Mike though lol.

Other two are late rounders

Adrian Bushell, CB Louisville #21

Jon Bostic, LB Florida #52

And my favorite:

Mike Gillislee, RB Florida #23

I'm sure you know Mike though lol.

Other two are late rounders

I been hearing Bostic is like a 3-4 guy. Omar Hunter a big squatty nose tackle for Florida plays well too. I maybe bias because my school played his school when he was at Buford but it will be interesting to see what team he ends up on. He was a big recruit.