Marshall

Robb4242

I love seeing both Marshall & Gurley on the field at the same time. They are both explosive playmakers and can score at any time from any where on the field. The catch that Marshall made yesterday got me to thinking, what if we move him to receiver? The body adjustment that he made on that ball, plus the soft hands that he showed indicate that a switch to receiver, from an athletic standpoint, may not be all that hard for him. Learning routes and the mental aspect will be tougher, but that can be worked on all offseason.

There are multiple benefits to making a move like this. First we get 2 of our best playmakers on the field at the same time and neither has to worry about counting carries. While they talked a good game about how it doesn't bother them, I'm not sure that 3 years from now if Gurley is getting 70% of the snaps that it's still a non-issue. Second, we are not that deep at WR. King is gone from the flanker spot, but Connely, Wooten, and Scott-Wesley are all there to take up that spot. At Split End though we are losing Marlon Brown and Bennett is going to be coming off a serious knee injury and probably will not be 100% to begin the year. That leaves Malcom Mitchell & McGowen (whom I'm not a huge fan of) at SE. We may really need Mitchell to focus on defense though this year. We are losing both Cummings and Smith from the corner spots, and although Swann will be back, we might be best served with Mitchell on the other corner.

Moving Marshall out of the backfield will hurt our RB depth. Malcome is there, but he's not like subbing out with Marshall. The kid we're expected to sign from Orlando though, Turman, would be able to have a bigger impact earlier on though.

Anyway, just a thought. Curious what you guys think about maybe getting Gurley & Marshall both on the field together.

I love love love the threat Marshall poses from the backfield. His speed is just tremendous and his physicality, while it will never be on the same level as Gurley, is improving and will improve more with another offseason. It's never a bad thing to have a RB with pass catching ability. Gurley and Marshall together are up there with the best RB tandems in the country - both as TRUE FRESHMEN!

Just amazing to have both of these guys and yes they are selfless... Marshall is going to get his carries, Gurley will get his. They aren't going to say no if the coaches are putting them in more, but they came together to avoid carrying a full workload.

The only reason that Gurley was more productive, is that they fell in love with him. Marshall is better overall. He has the better vision, he's better in pass protection, and is not much smaller than Gurley.

Couldn't disagree more. Gurley has everything I want in a RB. I love KM's versatility and home run threat, but I want the back that will get yards after contact and can finish a run. Don't get me wrong, I love having KM, but Gurley is the better back.

Couldn't disagree more. Gurley has everything I want in a RB. I love KM's versatility and home run threat, but I want the back that will get yards after contact and can finish a run. Don't get me wrong, I love having KM, but Gurley is the better back.

100% on the money.

Gurley is an every down physical back with speed. He proved that from day one. He can run over you and around you.

Marshall is good, but not a guy that will carry the rock 20 plus times and definately does not excel more in the middle than Gurley.

bobo was talking yesterday about what changes they will make for next year and he pointed out they are going to get gurley and marshall more involved in the passing game. he said they wanted to include then some, but as freshman they were learning so much they wanted to bring them allow more slowly in that area.. also expect a lot more wildcat with both gurley and marshall in the game.

bobo was talking yesterday about what changes they will make for next year and he pointed out they are going to get gurley and marshall more involved in the passing game. he said they wanted to include then some, but as freshman they were learning so much they wanted to bring them allow more slowly in that area.. also expect a lot more wildcat with both gurley and marshall in the game.

I agree but the thing I see is Murray doesn't check the ball down to his backs a lot at all. We always have flares out of the backfield on just about every passing play. More times than not Murray would not check it down to these guys. JMO though.

They should also consider adding that little shuffle pass Nebraska was using against us when Marshall is in the game. Let defenses rush up the field and clear out the middle and dump it off to Marshall and let him use his speed and quickness. They were killing us with that play.

Do we ever use the te screen? I've seen that used a few times during bowl season. Uf had it set up last night on the 10, but Louisville put too much pressure on driskell and he hurried the pass...otherwise it was a td.

I know the exact play you are talking about and that was all on Driskell...when they showed it on the replay the TE came open and even turned to face Driskell, and he still didn't throw it. Kid holds the ball waaaayyyy too long.

But I do think Rome is fast enough to run that play very effectively.

Do we ever use the te screen? I've seen that used a few times during bowl season. Uf had it set up last night on the 10, but Louisville put too much pressure on driskell and he hurried the pass...otherwise it was a td.

we did one with lynch, but no we don't and frankly i am fine with that.. we do a lot of wr screens and have done more rb screens this year. i know we are going to add both rbs more to our mix with the passing game. te screens are fine (not a big fan myself, i like rb and wr screens because you have a much better chance taking it to the house), but my favorite pass to the TE is what we do often with them falling or sneaking out in the open. we have done a good job getting TEs involved. i think our TE passing is fine.

we did one with lynch, but no we don't and frankly i am fine with that.. we do a lot of wr screens and have done more rb screens this year. i know we are going to add both rbs more to our mix with the passing game. te screens are fine (not a big fan myself, i like rb and wr screens because you have a much better chance taking it to the house), but my favorite pass to the TE is what we do often with them falling or sneaking out in the open. we have done a good job getting TEs involved. i think our TE passing is fine.

This plus I dont necessarily believe we have the playmaking ability at that position to where this would make much sense. With Orson we had more speed at that position where it would be more feasible.

This plus I dont necessarily believe we have the playmaking ability at that position to where this would make much sense. With Orson we had more speed at that position where it would be more feasible.

I'm not suggesting overusing it, like we've done in the past with our rb's, but it would be a nice wrinkle.

to me, it seems, that marshall loses his footing a little more than gurley. Gurley is more sure of himself and gets to the hole with more force.

Keith did great when we did a sweep and he juked the defense out of his shoes. I would like to see Marshall hit the hole with a little more confidence instead of trying to pick his way through.

I think next year will be special for both players.

I also loved to see the wildcat.