No Matter Who We Play, We Are Playing A Top 3 Rushing Offense

WiscoFalcon

We handled Washington the first time we played. Ponder is just terrible and we can limit AP. Seattle would be more tricky as Russell Wilson is a good QB, they could potentially give us some trouble but I trust in Nolan.

Im curious as to why you think we can limit AD. Its not like nobody else knows Ponder is terrible. If it would be so simple for us to limit AD then why were we so awful at limiting everyone else?

Id think our best bet is to put up points early so they will be forced to play catchup and start passing. Take out the running game that way.

Edited by the_sheff

Nolan's on it as soon as he gets through talking to

The Eagles, Browns, Bills,Bears etc.Etc.

seriously this is one reason they need Willy Mo and Dunta back and in top form both are stellar in run support.

Nolan's got this, I still think it's 50/50 he leaves but if he does he'd like a Super Bowl berth on his head coaching resume.

I trust Mike Nolan to have the defense ready.

Im curious as to why you think we can limit AD. Its not like nobody else knows Ponder is terrible. If it would be so simple for us to limit AD then why were we so awful at limiting everyone else?

Id think our best bet is to put up points early so they will be forced to play catchup and start passing. Take out the running game that way.

The threat of getting beat over the top is a large factor in the reason why we had trouble stopping the run. If we play Minnesota, it will be very similar to how our defense played against Arizona. AP will probably go over 100 yards but not do any real damage will Ponder will mirror Lindley stinking up the joint.

I'm not as confident as the previous poster, but there are a few things that do work in our favor.

We played against the #1 rushing offense, Washington. Morris had 115 yards but 0 TD's.

We played against the #5 rushing offense, KC. Charles had 87 yards but 0 TD's.

Most of the games where we gave up high rushing yardage were against teams that like to pass the ball. Teams that we knew were going to run the ball, we usually did a good job of stopping it (Tampa in week 17 was the exception).

The threat of getting beat over the top is a large factor in the reason why we had trouble stopping the run. If we play Minnesota, it will be very similar to how our defense played against Arizona. AP will probably go over 100 yards but not do any real damage will Ponder will mirror Lindley stinking up the joint.

The two Arizona qbs were missing wide open receivers who had sure touchdowns. I dont like a strategy that counts on the opposing qb missing wide open receivers.

Edited by the_sheff

I'm not as confident as the previous poster, but there are a few things that do work in our favor.

We played against the #1 rushing offense, Washington. Morris had 115 yards but 0 TD's.

We played against the #5 rushing offense, KC. Charles had 87 yards but 0 TD's.

Most of the games where we gave up high rushing yardage were against teams that like to pass the ball. Teams that we knew were going to run the ball, we usually did a good job of stopping it (Tampa in week 17 was the exception).

Excellent points! I believe we'll be ready regardless of who we face. Anyone of these teams is capable of putting up 200+ rushing yards against us...HOWEVER, such gaudy statics matter not, if we score more POINTS than they do, which is all that matters in the end.

Guest Negatorris

The only way we limit AP, is having the offense score on the first 3 possessions or something. Ponder can't beat us with his arm.

You beat rush first offenses with your own offense. Put up points early to make them stray from their gameplan. It's human nature to panic a bit.

Also, many of those teams run to set up the big plays in the air. You make those teams earn their points without the big play.

These are all young passers. Win on first down and force them to make plays.

Red zone defense will also be key. Limit teams to field goals instead of touchdowns.

I trust our coaching staff, especially Nolan, will be prepared and ready.

This is a great thing for us in a way. Even though we don't know our opponent, Nolan knows the type of opponent to plan for. The RB is the key to stopping all 3 defenses. Wilson and RG3 are less effective on the ground if you can control the RB to some degree. So, we know we are getting a top running team, but we know we are getting a top running team. I bet the Broncos wished they knew what kind of team to prep for atm.

The Vikings are the team with the most leverage. They have a very good pass defense. Jordy Nelson is pretty banged up. We may have to get prepared for them. I am not worrying about a good rush offense.

I'm not sold on that Vikings defense whatsoever, and Randall Cobb has an ankle problem also, Vikings do however have a good pash rush