3 Questions : 2013 Cap Space, Smitty's Last Stand, 2013 Draft?

matty72780

3 questions I have that I'd be curious to see what everyone else thinks we'd do are the following.

1- 2013 we will be roughly around 7 mill under the cap, with Grimes & Baker expected to hit FA. Do we use that money to resign one or both? I believe Grimes price drops after his serious injury and Baker has been improved this year, but improved enough to resign to protect Matt Ryan’s blindside?

2 - Hopefully we don’t, but if we do lose in the playoffs do we fire Mike Smith and what other potential candidates would we have to hire as head coach? Andy Reed, Jon Gruden, Holmgren, etc...?

3 - Now that we have a pick in every round that gives us flexibility to get a full draft class on board but who do we go for with a first pick? If we lose Tony G to retirement we'd have an enormous hole to fill at TE and the only realistic option would be to draft a TE with our first pick because TE talent in the later rounds would be a huge drop off from first round talent/Tony G's 2012 production. If we let Sam Baker walk we'd need a LT, but end of 2nd and 3rd round LT's wouldn’t be more than developmental players. JA55 is only getting older and our pass rush is horrible yet again, we need a DE early without question! Turner is more than likely gone after this year and Quizz isn't a fulltime #1 RB in my opinion. I believe we draft a RB somewhere within our first 3 picks too.

I'd love to hear what Falcon nation thinks? GO FALCONS!!!!! Fingers crossed for a Vikings win on Saturday too.

Edited by matty72780

1. Resign baker,let grimes walk.

2. Fire smith,hire gruden.

3. Draft-dl or lb.

Gruden seems pretty content at what he is doing. I don't know if he has his sights maybe on a certain opportunity or what. I think we will also resign Baker to and probably let Grimes go unless we can get him back at a good price. TE can be gotten with a later round pick. We need to sure up our fronts so I say DL and OL with those first two picks.

I would have to agree with you kgrillz on the D, its something that really needs to be sured up. And as for grud your probly right f90 but I still would love to see him in atl.!

Gruden mentioned he'd entertain coaching opportunities again.

NFL head coaching vacancies are popping up right and left. Is Jon Gruden ready to fill one of them?

The ESPN Monday Night Football analyst told teams interested in his services that he'd be willing to talk at the conclusion of the 2012 regular season, according to CBSSports' Mike Freeman.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/12/31/jon-gruden-nfl-return/1800663/

I'm at a loss for why everyone is so hot after gruden. the team he built in oakland didn't last very long. granted he left to go to TB. but he took the TB team that Dungy built and won the superbowl, then ran it into the ground. For someone who was supposed to be "all that and a bag of chips" on offense, why could he never find/develop a QB????

just say no to Gruden

I think that talking about a HC when Smith has the winningest record in ATL history is kinda ridiculous IMO. If and thats a "BIG IF" the Falcons lose I wouldnt blame Smith, IMO its the D-line that needs to be beefed up and a MLB that can play both pass and run defense is to blame. The achilles heel is the D and if they dont show in the p/o the Falcons are screwed. In the draft TD needs to seriously look at the DE position and MLB.

I don't think I'd put much effort into resigning Grimes because I think he'll want to get maximum money and he's not worth that to this franchise at the moment. As for Baker, he should be willing to sign for a reasonable amount after this franchise literally saved his NFL career from being tossed on to the scrap heap with his injuries and mediocre play last year. Plus I doubt some other team would be willing to sign him to a pro-bowl-size contract based on his size, injury history and inconsistent play for most of his time as a starter.

As for Mike Smith's fate, I think that depends a lot on how the team performs in the play-offs. Not necessarily whether they win or lose, but in how they perform. If they come out flat and get curb-stomped by one of the wild card teams, if I were Arthur Blank I'd fire him. If the team played at a high level but came up a little short, I'd probably give him one more season to get over the hump. And I would let him know that it would be his last season without at least one play-off win immediately following the game.

As for the draft, I think a top-tier DE is an absolute must-get this off-season, whether from the draft or free agency if the coaches are sure that Massaquoi and/or Matthews do not have the capability to provide that. And it appears they don't believe either of these two are going to be impact pass rushers. I'd go for a RB next, and again I'd be happy to grab somebody like Chris Ivory if he were available rather than draft an RB. Depending on how those two acquisitions came about, then I'd start looking for a couple of OL, most likely in the draft.

1. Let both walk, unless Baker will stay for a very cap friendly incentive laden deal. Re-signing Moore and extending Ryan have to be our priorities.

2. Difficutl one. I wouldn't be at all sorry to see Coach Smith go because I'm not convinced by his game decisions, or his conservative approach to the game. On the other hand, I can't see any outstanding replacements. I wouldn't go anywhere near Gruden. As good as he is as a pure coach, his philosophy of building around 30-something veterans would be an absolute disaster for us. We'd have 2-3 year push for a SB, followed by a decade in the basement recovering

3.We need OT, OG DT, DE, TE and RB. Take your pick. With a full complement of picks and some compensatory picks to add to it, at least we shoud be able to add high or mid round talent at every position.

don t we have enough late round ol that don t seem to be getting the job done?

I would rather have stud defensive line and a solid running back. Those two things would help Atlanta win championships. They can get by with a decent OL.

Edited by KGrillz

1. Sign Grimes and Baker if we have the loot. Grimes won't be making $10+ million ever again and if Baker can make more to go elsewhere, then God bless him.

2. Smitty won't be fired. If anything, the new coordinators are his reason for staying around since we have seen what they could do with players drafted for Mularkey and BVG but haven't seen them coach players drafted/signed with their schemes in mind yet. God forbid we can give Nolan players that he wants instead of those he inherited. Same for Dirk.

3. I'm hoping the OL comes around. Blalock and Konz will be with us for awhile, Baker may be back (will we see Holmes next year?). Center is a problem and maybe we need to get a solid RT? We're going to need a TE (Coffman?), RDE, and RB at least next season. We may need an ILB or MLB.

1. The Falcons will clear more cap room by cutting Dunta and Turner, but there is a lot of stuff to take care of. 100% Falcons resign Moore, 75% they resign Baker, and probably only 50% they resign Grimes. Maybe worse than that on Grimes.

2. Mike Smith isn't going anwhere.

3. I hope the Falcons draft a big mean DE in the first round.

1. The Falcons will clear more cap room by cutting Dunta and Turner, but there is a lot of stuff to take care of. 100% Falcons resign Moore, 75% they resign Baker, and probably only 50% they resign Grimes. Maybe worse than that on Grimes.

2. Mike Smith isn't going anwhere.

3. I hope the Falcons draft a big mean DE in the first round.

1. Turner, yes. Robinson, No.

2. Agreed.

3. RG, Konz to center, McClure retirement home.