It Just Never Ends For The Saints This Season- Saint's D Players Hate Spags?

falconidae

Just when Saints fans were looking forward to the truncated draft, Peyton returning and a return to normalcy, reports surface that the Saint's D players hate Spags.:

from Pat Y's ESPN blog:

Larry Holder has an explosive story in which an unnamed New Orleans player says Steve Spagnuolo should be fired and proceeds to rip the defensive coordinator in multiple ways.

Although players defended Spagnuolo during the season, the player said the team wasn’t on board with the coordinator.

"Trust me all the guys were being politically correct this season when answering questions," the player said. "It's bad."

The Saints allowed more yards than any defense in NFL history and ranked No. 32 in overall defense.

The player was critical of Spagnuolo for not making in-game adjustments and not letting players have input.

"He does have that good-guy persona, but he is a control freak and treats people like crap," the player said. “[spagnuolo has] no patience and zero personality.’’

Is this a big deal, or just some D player blowing off steam after a bad year? Either way, it's a distraction the Saints don't need.

here's the full text from the Holder article:

Players throughout the season gave a uniform voice of support for New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and the drastically different scheme he brought to the team when the Saints hired him one year ago. That doesn't sound like the case anymore.

Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo should be fired after only one season in New Orleans, a Saints player told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune on Tuesday night. Ted Jackson, Nola.com | The Times-Picayune

One Saints player, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said a "resounding" yes when asked if he thought Spagnuolo should be fired after just one season in New Orleans as the Saints broke the single-season record for most yards allowed.

"Trust me all the guys were being politically correct this season when answering questions," the player said. "It's bad."

The player added: "To give up what we gave up can't be all talent. Look at where his units (have) been ranked before. I think one top 10?"

The Saints finished last in the NFL in total defense, last in run defense, 31st in pass defense, 31st in points allowed and tied for 29th in sacks.

"Players have no say in anything," the player said. "It was (a) complete opposite from before where it was a simple D that players had lot of control and say. We couldn't suggest (expletive)...Nothing ever changed. It was his way only.

"Don't even get me started on lack (of) ability to adjust during games. Bad, bad, bad."

The player also said every position group on defense was frustrated with Spagnuolo's scheme all season. "(It was) tough putting on a supportive, everything-will-be-OK face, for you guys (the media) all the time," the player said.

The player said it wasn't just wasn't Spagnuolo's scheme that rubbed players the wrong way. It was Spagnuolo as a coach and a person.

"He does have that good-guy persona, but he is a control freak and treats people like crap," the player said. "(Spagnuolo has) no patience and zero personality. (He) has a way of pissing players and our defensive coaches off with how he says and does things. (I) think it's even harder after having (former defensive coordinator) Gregg (Williams), who guys enjoyed."

Not good that there is that much dissension in the ranks but even when they won the SB the NO's D was middle-of-the-pack (I stand to be corrected - I'm just going by my memory). The best thing about their D was its uncanny ability to generate TOs, plus they seemed to have a decent pass rush.

Point is it's not like the players can proudly point to themselves as the Southern version of the Steel Curtain and now Spags has turned them into the 76 Bucs.

Yep, Pat Y, that fountain of truth. Let's get into the off season first and see if this has any merit. I mean, look at the bounty gate scandal. Where is the real smoking gun? Like I said, let's see what really happened.

And what Saint had to be the first to comment on this new story?

More walking distraction himself.... Vilma

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/vilma-on-anonymous-teammate-were-not-the-jets/

Vilma wrote via Twitter about the player's comments saying, "don't give me 'anonymous source' bs" and "say who said it."

Then not to be outdone is the guy wanting Vilma`s job.. next up Lofton.

Linebacker Curtis Lofton said Wednesday he doesn't know what the system was before he signed with the Saints last March, but he does know from other players that the Gregg Williams system was more simple. Lofton made it clear twice during an interview that he fully supports Spagnuolo's scheme.

"It was his first year putting it in, and everything we went through, yeah I'm a firm believer in the system," Lofton said. "I think it's a complicated system, but at the same time it has an answer for everything an offense does.

So here comes the players pandering to fans to prove it wasn't them.

Yep, Pat Y, that fountain of truth. Let's get into the off season first and see if this has any merit. I mean, look at the bounty gate scandal. Where is the real smoking gun? Like I said, let's see what really happened.

What i see so far is 2 Saints (1 who is old and 1 is young and 1 was brought in last year to likely to replace the old one). Both pandering to fans to try and look like the D leader. Neither will take blame for what happened last season but both wanna be the man going forward.

I doubt either cares about who said what... but they do care how the fans view them and wanna rally the fans to back them. remember last years Lofton interviews where he took shots at the falcons. All that was is him trying to talk his way into the fans hearts.

The whole d takes the blame for what happened in the season. I really don't see where you are going with your reply. I don't see how they are pandering to fans. Do you really think players care what fans think? Fans will run their mouths and whatever, but once the season starts and LBs are ballin and the team is winning, fans will cheer! If Lucifer played football and the team went to the Super Bowl, fans would cheer.

He probably will be, or at least be asked to restructure. That's a potentially deep list of candidates.

It takes a snake to try and point blame for a team effort to one person. It just reminds me of stuff teenagers say "he wants to control me I cant be my own man"

The whole d takes the blame for what happened in the season. I really don't see where you are going with your reply. I don't see how they are pandering to fans. Do you really think players care what fans think? Fans will run their mouths and whatever, but once the season starts and LBs are ballin and the team is winning, fans will cheer! If Lucifer played football and the team went to the Super Bowl, fans would cheer.

Ok everyone stunk at their job last season.

No one wants to get fired.

the most replaceable players are the ones that are old and have a younger replacement thats ready

ok let me simplify this. remember Payton manning last season? Remember all those interviews? He was pandering to the fans. Its called politicking.

If the fans rally against you... The coach starts risking his job on players the fans hate or blame every defeat on. Home many examples do you need? Romo for ever big game moment blunder, then garret shows up in the media constantly talking how great Romo is gonna be as a cowboy and how bright the future is. He wants to calm the fans who want Romo blood.

Former Saints fullback Mike Karney, who played for Spagnuolo while he was the head coach in St. Louis and was cut by Spagnuolo after the 2010 season, said via Twitter "By no surprise" in reference to a Saints player not being on board with Spagnuolo. When asked by someone on Twitter, "Do you think Spags is a poor coach, or poor at relating to his players? Or both?," Karney replied, "both.. the article was spot on.."

Dayyyyyyyum.

Ok everyone stunk at their job last season.

No one wants to get fired.

the most replaceable players are the ones that are old and have a younger replacement thats ready

ok let me simplify this. remember Payton manning last season? Remember all those interviews? He was pandering to the fans. Its called politicking.

If the fans rally against you... The coach starts risking his job on players the fans hate or blame every defeat on. Home many examples do you need? Romo for ever big game moment blunder, then garret shows up in the media constantly talking how great Romo is gonna be as a cowboy and how bright the future is. He wants to calm the fans who want Romo blood.

Well, if the masses of fans have so much power, Spags would already be gone. Football is a business. Fans are going to watch regardless. KC and Cleveland still have fans, as far as I know, no players have been cut, but the coaches sure are gone.

Well, if the masses of fans have so much power, Spags would already be gone. Football is a business. Fans are going to watch regardless. KC and Cleveland still have fans, as far as I know, no players have been cut, but the coaches sure are gone.

Explain that to the bucs and their blackouts.

Not to be rude but who cares what Mike Karney thinks? He probably just butt hurt that he got released.

Atleast he was willing to officially comment on it. The players dont want it out their so they will lie about it. But if we are gonna play who has a agenda game then we can do that on everyone. Because the players could want him to fall on the sword for the badness. He might want the players to take the bullet for the epicly bad year and a past play may be butt hurt, another player who has never worked with him might have a agenda as well.