Saints Displreasure With Steve Spagnola.

J-Wall

From ESPN:

Larry Holder has an explosive story in which an unnamed New Orleans player says Steve Spagnuolo should be fired and proceeds to rip the defensive coordinator in multiple ways.

Although players defended Spagnuolo during the season, the player said the team wasn’t on board with the coordinator.

"Trust me all the guys were being politically correct this season when answering questions," the player said. "It's bad."

The Saints allowed more yards than any defense in NFL history and ranked No. 32 in overall defense.

The player was critical of Spagnuolo for not making in-game adjustments and not letting players have input.

"He does have that good-guy persona, but he is a control freak and treats people like crap," the player said. “[spagnuolo has] no patience and zero personality.’’

I know some people are going to write this off because the source of the quotes was anonymous. But sometimes you have to use anonymous sources to get the truth.

I thought many of New Orleans’ defensive problems were because the Saints didn’t have the personnel to run Spagnuolo’s defense. But reading these quotes makes me wonder if the problem goes way beyond that.

It makes me wonder if Spagnuolo will be retained. The Saints are in a weird spot because coach Sean Payton remains suspended until after the Super Bowl. But general manager Mickey Loomis and interim head coach Joe Vitt could make a move if they feel Spagnuolo was the real problem with the defense.

Complete text of the holder article:

Players throughout the season gave a uniform voice of support for New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and the drastically different scheme he brought to the team when the Saints hired him one year ago. That doesn't sound like the case anymore.

12035169-large.jpg Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo should be fired after only one season in New Orleans, a Saints player told NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune on Tuesday night. Ted Jackson, Nola.com | The Times-Picayune

One Saints player, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said a "resounding" yes when asked if he thought Spagnuolo should be fired after just one season in New Orleans as the Saints broke the single-season record for most yards allowed.

"Trust me all the guys were being politically correct this season when answering questions," the player said. "It's bad."

The player added: "To give up what we gave up can't be all talent. Look at where his units (have) been ranked before. I think one top 10?"

The Saints finished last in the NFL in total defense, last in run defense, 31st in pass defense, 31st in points allowed and tied for 29th in sacks.

"Players have no say in anything," the player said. "It was (a) complete opposite from before where it was a simple D that players had lot of control and say. We couldn't suggest (expletive)...Nothing ever changed. It was his way only.

"Don't even get me started on lack (of) ability to adjust during games. Bad, bad, bad."

The player also said every position group on defense was frustrated with Spagnuolo's scheme all season. "(It was) tough putting on a supportive, everything-will-be-OK face, for you guys (the media) all the time," the player said.

The player said it wasn't just wasn't Spagnuolo's scheme that rubbed players the wrong way. It was Spagnuolo as a coach and a person.

"He does have that good-guy persona, but he is a control freak and treats people like crap," the player said. "(Spagnuolo has) no patience and zero personality. (He) has a way of pissing players and our defensive coaches off with how he says and does things. (I) think it's even harder after having (former defensive coordinator) Gregg (Williams), who guys enjoyed."

Typical Saints at this stage. Just like bounty gate, pointing the finger and blaming instead of manning up and taking responsibility for yourself.

While Spags was one of the names I wanted I thought we were better off with Nolan because Spags had Strahan, Osi & Tuck to anchor that D while Nolan took kind of a no-name defense in Miami and had them playing well.