Koetter Signs Extension

OC

http://msn.foxsports...-Falcons-010213

Koetter signs extension with Falcons

One of the NFL’s hottest head coaching candidates has decided to stay put.

A source told FOXSports.com the Atlanta Falcons have signed offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter to a contract extension that will keep him off the market until the 2014 offseason.

Atlanta’s offensive talent provided impetus for Koetter to stick with the Falcons. The chance to continue working with quarterback Matt Ryan and other weapons like wide receivers Roddy White and Julio Jones should continue to bolster Koetter’s head-coaching stock for the future.

Atlanta finished the season with a franchise-record average of 281.8 passing yards a game as the Falcons went 13-3 to secure the NFC’s No. 1 playoff seed.

Koetter made the decision after meeting Tuesday with Kansas City Chiefs management about the chance to replace the fired Romeo Crennel. The Chiefs also interviewed special-teams coordinator Keith Armstrong, a source told FOXSports.com.

Armstrong met Tuesday night with Chicago about their head-coaching vacancy as well, a source told FOXSports.com.

As first reported Monday by FOXSports.com, Koetter also was set to interview with Philadelphia and Cleveland. Koetter, 53, interviewed with the Denver Broncos last January before they hired John Fox.

Koetter previously served as a college head coach at Boise State (1998-2000) and Arizona State (2001-06).

Hired by Atlanta in the 2012 offseason following five years as Jacksonville’s offensive coordinator, Koetter helped Ryan post career highs in yardage (4,719), touchdowns (32) and completion percentage (68.6).

Edited by OC

I'd be worried about Nolan moreso now. Someone is going to give him a second shot

It's very possible. He's got experience as an HC, but it is not of the winning kind. If I'm Philly, I want a HC of winning pedigree, or I want sharp younger coach that can work with my young QB. I'm not sure Nolan is a fit in Philly, but Philly might have the kind of defensive personnel that he desires. I think Nolan is a better fit in SD, because that is a team that has offensive weapons and some decent talent on D. He could stand a good chance in that weak division, of course he had that similar scenario in SF.

I hope Nolan signs an extension and stays put like Koetter. If things stay consistent, then both will get good shots with more talented teams.

It's very possible. He's got experience as an HC, but it is not of the winning kind. If I'm Philly, I want a HC of winning pedigree, or I want sharp younger coach that can work with my young QB. I'm not sure Nolan is a fit in Philly, but Philly might have the kind of defensive personnel that he desires. I think Nolan is a better fit in SD, because that is a team that has offensive weapons and some decent talent on D. He could stand a good chance in that weak division, of course he had that similar scenario in SF.

I hope Nolan signs an extension and stays put like Koetter. If things stay consistent, then both will get good shots with more talented teams.

I think a team like Philly with the defensive players they have may take a chance. A lot of head coaches aren't good their first time on the job

I don't get it though. Did he think he wouldn't get one of the jobs? Why wouldn't he jump at being a HC? A ton of money fron Blank? Forget "Atlanta’s offensive talent provided impetus for Koetter to stick with the Falcons." That's the answer you're supposed to give, if indeed he actually said that.

Not as thrilled about this as to see what's happening with our DC.

This makes me happier for the short term than the long term. I like that it takes away a distraction for the playoffs. Long term, Koetter could be replaced without fall off. IMHO

But, like you KOG, I want to see Nolan locked up and throw away the key. He has done a really good job for us.

I don't get it though. Did he think he wouldn't get one of the jobs? Why wouldn't he jump at being a HC? A ton of money fron Blank? Forget "Atlanta’s offensive talent provided impetus for Koetter to stick with the Falcons." That's the answer you're supposed to give, if indeed he actually said that.

It is hard to understand from a fan standpoint, but as Nolan suggested in an interview, being a HC in the NFL involves a lot of pressure, extra work, responsibility and headaches that make it one of the most demanding and often thankless jobs on the planet. Whereas being a coordinator gives you a good salary, the opportunity to actually coach the players and not have to put in the kind of hours that leave you with virtually no time for anything else in life, including your family. Koetter may have made a very smart move by staying put.

This makes me happier for the short term than the long term. I like that it takes away a distraction for the playoffs. Long term, Koetter could be replaced without fall off. IMHO

But, like you KOG, I want to see Nolan locked up and throw away the key. He has done a really good job for us.

Yeah, I'm not being ungrateful. See, Nolan has been my fave DC for a LONG time now. His defense is the defense that I study on the most. When we signed him, it was a dream come true, but then I know that Noaln can have a bit of a merc mentality. So, let's just wait and see.

It might not be of a winning degree but he helped build that team into what it is today. Harabaugh gets all the credit but Nolan built most of that defense especially.