Who Has Control Coach Smith Or The Players

Xfactor

Every Sunday I see Smith red faced and writing things down in his little pad but is he getting through to his players or is he falling on deaf ears. I started thinking about this after the performance against Tampa Bay. It was well known for over a week Coach Smith wanted to treat this like any other game and win. Looking at their play it's not what most of the players wanted and it showed with a loss.

Tampa had lost their last 5 games but yet get a win against a number one seed. I've heard the argument of nothing to play for BS but they are still getting paid and have a job to do. Every one else did their job last Sunday went out and won their game Except for the Falcons.

They had plenty to play for

1) Pride

2) Respect they claim to long for and have been vocal about

3) The best record in the NFL and a possible number one regular season ranking.

They did this as well against Carolina we get embarrassed and the media hits the reset button and rightly so. But this was different Smith made it known to the media what his intentions were and the players seem to have their own agenda. I don't want to hear the players were afraid to get hurt it can happen week 1 or the first round of the playoffs.

To be fair in Smith's defense their have been zero off the field issues under his tenure which speaks volumes except for Roddy's tweeting but no harm no foul there.

Their behavior just puzzles me if they are going to play to the level of their opponent what does that say about a head coach if anything.

My feelings are what the players are making today and not giving 100% in every game is criminal. With all of the commercials today they stand for 5 minutes at a time get involved in two to three plays and throw their hand up needing to come out /smh. Unlike the players from years ago like the Lamberts, Nobis, and Butkus etc who played for pennies compared to today's salaries and played with broke arms, noses, and shoulders. Maybe I'm just to old school that's my opinion.

Do you think Smith has control of this team ?

Edited by Xfactor

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our NFL record for fewest penalties in a season would seem to indicate the team is well coached and the players listen.

I think Sunday was like a closer in baseball who is asked to pitch in a blowout so that he gets the work in and stays sharp. That usually leads to a poor performance, but it achieves the original purpose. And blaming the closer is just assinine. They are playing under a different than normal circumstance, without the game being on the line. It's happened to Kimbrel, Wagner, and the rest of the best.

Our NFL record for fewest penalties in a season would seem to indicate the team is well coached and the players listen.

I think Sunday was like a closer in baseball who is asked to pitch in a blowout so that he gets the work in and stays sharp. That usually leads to a poor performance, but it achieves the original purpose. And blaming the closer is just assinine. They are playing under a different than normal circumstance, without the game being on the line. It's happened to Kimbrel, Wagner, and the rest of the best.

Yup. You could tell it was a live-action practice. I have no problem the way they played Sunday. Vanilla. Woulda been nice, had no injuries occur, but the Jerry ( has he done anything positive?) falling on Abe was a freak accident

Setting his fantastic record aside, xfactor makes a lot of sense. Why is it we drop a couple games for what looks to be plain embarrasing play every now and then? We are a great team and don't need any embarrasing play from here on out. I don't think ir's as much Smitty losing control as it is some players dogging it once in awhile.

Smitty has had some off field issues during his tenure.

The Burner slapping his woman

Weems getting a DUI

Abe telling ATL cops and firemen to GTF out of his way

Hawley popping Adderall pills

RayRay boycotting meetings

The Burner hauling as up I-85 with four shots in his belly

Babineaux hauling weed up I-85

I may have left off a couple.

Weems getting a DUI

Don't know a coach who hasn't.

Weems getting a DUI

Sounds like your boy turner is a cancer to the team. Better cut him loose

If he doesn't he sure has a heII of good record for someone with no control.

I'm talking about this year not the years of one and done. He has been a benefactor of tremendous talent during his time here "Welcome Coach here is your franchise QB before you unpack and Tony G will be arriving soon and if you're still here we will get you the number two receiver out of Bama to go along with you other elite receiver White enjoy !!! /sarcasm off

It just seems the players are use to his schtick and are not responding as they once did. Plus his skills are good enough to win against decent teams but against other elite teams that awesome leadership and halftime adjustments just fly out the window at the most crucial times.

Maybe you're right and I'm wrong he hasn't lost control he just doesn't know how to properly prepare his team for the big game, we shall see this year he has no excuses the SB runs through ATL

Weems getting a DUI

Ooops FF1970 forgot about those but I do have faith if we make it to the SB this year hopefully he can keep the hookers out of the hotel the night before, let's hope

I don't know about control, but I would like to see him bench some of the players that take plays off or half azz tackles. Remember when BVG benched Decoud? He came back with a new attitude. Seems like he and a few others need another attitude check.

This is what I'm talking about. You very seldom see any slacking from the Patriots players. Billechek wouldn't put up with it. Smitty is the best thing that's happened to the Falcons in awhile but he needs to kick some butt a little harder I think. Somewhere there is a slight tendancy to be soft.

I don't know about control, but I would like to see him bench some of the players that take plays off or half azz tackles. Remember when BVG benched Decoud? He came back with a new attitude. Seems like he and a few others need another attitude check.

Isn't it possible that benching DeCoud was Coach Smith's decision? Or that Nolan and BVG differ in coaching styles beyond Brian's failure to stop 3rd down conversions?