Mock Draft V2.0

With 5 of the top 6 DE’s off the board the Falcons trade up 5-8 spots get their guy and give up their 1st and 4th round picks in the process.

1. DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo (LSU) – Addressing the biggest need the Falcons bring in a stud pass rusher. Mingo is great off the edge and will be super dynamic in Nolan’s defense. He will provide an immediate impact and will allow for transition when Abe finally decides to hang it up.

2. DT Sylvester Williams (UNC) – The Falcons current DT rotation is solid, but missing a true anchor for 3-4 sets. Additionally, Jerry, while playing better, is still not making the level of contribution that you would like to see and Robertson remains an unknown quantity, although he has shown some flashes with his limited opportunities. With Williams, the Falcons get their largest DT who has the size (6-3, 320) and strength to man the NT position, yet has the flexibility and quickness to play one gap in the 4-3 sets. He will team with Babs, Peters, and Walker to form a stronger DT rotation.

3. OG Gabe Jackson (Mississippi St) – On the offensive side of the ball, the RG spot will be unsettled going into next year. You have to expect McClure to retire and the obvious move would be to shift Konz to C and fill in the RG hole with a new face…enter Gabe Jackson, who can be the big road grader this line needs.

4-compensatory. RB Marcus Lattimore (South Carolina) – I suspect the Falcons will likely bring in another veteran RB (a Chris Ivory type) to rotate with Rogers. As such, this pick is somewhat of a luxury. The risk and reward with Lattimore are both high. But he has the intangibles and work ethic that TD loves. Lattimore witll not be expected to contribute immediately but if he can fully recover, could be a huge asset coming down the stretch next year and could become the feature back the following season…that’s a lot of coulds.  

5. TE Travis Kelce (Cincinnati) – A solid all-around TE that fills a need. Seems to have the talent to develop into a good pro TE.

6. LB Kevin Reddick – The LB depth on this team is poor at best. Not sure if Reddick will slide to the 6th, but pretty sure LB depth will be addressed.

7. CB/S BJ Scott (South Alabama) – Did you really expect TD would go a whole draft without picking someone for the secondary? He will have plenty of options at the end of the season with decisions looming on Grimes, McClain, and Franks. At least one of McClain or Grimes will return. At the end of the day, I suspect there will be a spot open for someone to win a job. This is a risk/reward pick. BJ Scott was a former 5 star recruit to Alabama that just didn’t pan out. He has all the talent in the world, but was never able to win a starting job at Bama so he transferred to South Alabama. There he seems to have made the most of his opportunity and is really playing at a high level. He has the talent to win a job at S or as a nickel/slot CB.

Not sure that trade will get you 5-8 spots up in the draft. The chart I saw, that trade would get you 3 spots. I freely admit I'm not an expert on that however.

Also, most mocks I've looked at had Mingo going in 10-20 range...and some have his stock rising. if that is the case you may have to be prepared to trade even higher & give up more picks for him. Although TD has shown a willingness to trade up, he does value college experience and Mingo still seems raw. May be too much price to pay to get him.

i like your mid round picks 2,3 & 5 specfically. With an immediate need to fill Turners spot (most likely) I'm afraid Lattimore's injury history. I would rather have a healthy back as RBs take a pounding in the Pros, but that is just me.

Not sure that trade will get you 5-8 spots up in the draft. The chart I saw, that trade would get you 3 spots. I freely admit I'm not an expert on that however.

Also, most mocks I've looked at had Mingo going in 10-20 range...and some have his stock rising. if that is the case you may have to be prepared to trade even higher & give up more picks for him. Although TD has shown a willingness to trade up, he does value college experience and Mingo still seems raw. May be too much price to pay to get him.

i like your mid round picks 2,3 & 5 specfically. With an immediate need to fill Turners spot (most likely) I'm afraid Lattimore's injury history. I would rather have a healthy back as RBs take a pounding in the Pros, but that is just me.

On the trade I looked at last year as a benchmark. Pats traded up to 25 from 31 and it costed them a 4th rounder. I'm assuming one of the top 6 DEs falls to 25...in this case Mingo.

As for RB, I'm concerned with his injuries as well. That's why I say they bring in a FA to fill the immediate need which gives them the luxury of waiting for Lattimore to heal.

I can live with it for sure, the first two picks improve our pass rush to exactly what we need. Third round pick is also solid, big guard and he can be a plug and play type guy, even if he doesn't Garrett Reynolds is coming back and was pretty decent, Lattimore is a boom or bust type prospect, he has tremendous upside and can be a healthier version of Darren Mcfadden, The TE I don't really know and the other guys as well. Pretty solid draft I would definitely like this draft as it address majority of our needs. Good Job !

i highly doubt we would trade up to get the 6th rank de. i think we may look at fa for this. i still firmly believe we will go te i mean we can get the 1 or 2 te at our pick vs trading up for a 6th ranked de.another option would be to trade out of the first so someone can come up and get their qb. if we could get a next years first and another pick then next year pool two picks to get a top notch pass rusher i could see that.

i highly doubt we would trade up to get the 6th rank de. i think we may look at fa for this. i still firmly believe we will go te i mean we can get the 1 or 2 te at our pick vs trading up for a 6th ranked de.another option would be to trade out of the first so someone can come up and get their qb. if we could get a next years first and another pick then next year pool two picks to get a top notch pass rusher i could see that.

IF Mingo fell this far trading up to get him wouldn't be like trading for a normal #6 guy at a position. DE is absolutely stacked this year and Mingo has top 5-10 talent for any position in the draft this year. Don't see him being the guy to fall out of this group, but it could happen.

IF Mingo fell this far trading up to get him wouldn't be like trading for a normal #6 guy at a position. DE is absolutely stacked this year and Mingo has top 5-10 talent for any position in the draft this year. Don't see him being the guy to fall out of this group, but it could happen.

Exactly! There are actually 7 DE/OLBs in this class that would likely be top 1-2 players at their position in most years. Jarvis Jones, Damontre Moore, Bjoern Werner, Dion Jordan, B Mingo, E Ansah, and Sam Montgomery. With such a need at the position I think TD will do what is necessary to come away with one of these guys. Unfortunately, it will probably take a trade up.