G-Dawg Early Falcons Mock Draft

I was never impressed by Ansah after watching some BYU games. Kept waiting for him to make a play and he didn't. Seems like a liability against the run despite his size as well. I get the whole he has great upside argument because he has limited football experience and he has freakish measurables and people can point to JPP, but for every JPP there's twenty Matt Jones or a Vernon Gholstons.

Swap out Ansah for LDE Margus Hunt and I like it a lot more. Think Hunt is a more natural fit for our immediate DE need (LDE), whereas a guy like Ansah will need to develop and we'd have to hope we could teach him how to play football. Same upside with Hunt, less hype, similar football experience situation, but when I watched him play he always exploded off the screen as a guy that would be a difference maker.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree man, I am very against taking a TE before we address the lines. Plus look at the FA TEs that will be available: Cook, Keller, and Davis.

I think you'll like Gillislee, he is an every down back. He has great speed, able to turn to the corner and run away from defenders, and he also has a quick burst and lateral quickness. Able to hit the hole quickly. He has good balance and finesse, could use some size, but as of now he can break tackles fairly well, and he always keeps his feet moving. So if he adds around 10 pounds he could be deadly. He also played a few games hurt. Tough kid.

I saw the game Florida FSU that sold me on this kid.

Take to the house potiential is off the charts with this kid.

G-Dawg absolutely 100% on the Ansah pick we definitely need to put the BIG BOY PANTS ON and take a swing with this kid.If he is in the same ball park athletically as JPP we'll be good with this pick.

The Warford pick I can live with but I would like to see how Manley Reynolds and Holmes have so while this kid Warford could be there for us in the 2nd I'm intriged outta those 3 guys mentioned if they develop into fulltime starters.

Edited by kiwifalcon

I was never impressed by Ansah after watching some BYU games. Kept waiting for him to make a play and he didn't. Seems like a liability against the run despite his size as well. I get the whole he has great upside argument because he has limited football experience and he has freakish measurables and people can point to JPP, but for every JPP there's twenty Matt Jones or a Vernon Gholstons.

Swap out Ansah for LDE Margus Hunt and I like it a lot more. Think Hunt is a more natural fit for our immediate DE need (LDE), whereas a guy like Ansah will need to develop and we'd have to hope we could teach him how to play football. Same upside with Hunt, less hype, similar football experience situation, but when I watched him play he always exploded off the screen as a guy that would be a difference maker.

TDB, does ANSAH jump off the page to you here?

I like the idea of Lacy in the first. He's just a hard running and athletic back with burst. Pairing him with quiz would be a nice tandem. I'm not sold on Ball. I watched the Stanford game, and evn though Ball got a 100 yds, he just doesn't have great burst. He's a plodder.a guy like Lacy imposes his will on defenses, and can still play in a dome.

I also like that Stefan Taylor kid outta Stanford. Nice burst

I like the idea of Lacy in the first. He's just a hard running and athletic back with burst. Pairing him with quiz would be a nice tandem. I'm not sold on Ball. I watched the Stanford game, and evn though Ball got a 100 yds, he just doesn't have great burst. He's a plodder.a guy like Lacy imposes his will on defenses, and can still play in a dome.

I also like that Stefan Taylor kid outta Stanford. Nice burst

I would take Lacy at 32 as well....

I'd rather grab him than a TE in the first. Another thing that I like about Lacy is that he's used to RBBC. Ball just doesn't have an impressive burst to me. He's a plodding guy

Tht Stefan Taylor kid is an interesting prospect as well

Ball has great vision, but I just think in the long run Lacy will be the very best back out of this draft, and he would be perfect to pair with Quizz ......I could see him as a Falcon for several years .....

Ansah is a raw player....he has freakish size and athletic ability - high motor. He compares NFL-wise to Jason Pierre-Paul.

Obviously if Ansah is anywhere close to JPP he would be worth the pick. It is a gamble pick given he has only played football for a short time. He is from Ghana, Africa.

I'm personally tired of all our D-Ends with just average ability - think Falcons should "shoot-the-moon" with this pick. Time to go for it! Could he be a bust? yeah, ,he could......but don't think he will. If you hit on him, this could be a big-time player for Falcons who could change the defense entirely.

Some thoughts.... About Ansah. He just might be around for us, with so many new GMs and coaches and many still on the hot seat, most teams will be steering away from projects. If Ansah makes it past the Giants, we might have a shot.

I am wondering if we are sticking with four down linemen. Abe is becoming more and more a situational player. Can Ansah play OLB in a 3-4?

Personally I hope Barkley is available and some team with a top 5 2nd round pick wants to trade up for him. IF we can get an additional third, that would be great. Do you think Ansah would still be there in the early 2nd?

One other thing. DE's DTs and LTs stand to be well picked over by the time we draft. Most the time I would rather have the best or 2nd best player at a position, like TE, G or RB, rather than the sixth or seventh selected DE DT or LT. A lot depends on how deep a position is and the talent dropoff from the first round onward. What is the DE dropoff from the first to the second and third rounds?

Really enjoy your mocks, thanks smile.png

Edited by egoprime II

Both of these guys are projects. Hunt just start playing football as well. I would say I would want Ansah because he has play a little better competition that Hunt has.

Brandon Williams-DT Missouri Southern:

jtsx1pezl79hdozj.jpg

look at this guy - 325lbs and he has relatively small gut (by D-Tackle standards) - dude is big......dayum impressive - and he was very productive....AP All American, 2-time - granted, lower division of college football but still. Bio below says he will be in the Senior Bowl - looking forward to that.

http://www.mssulions.../20121219c7ufvy

Brandon Williams named AP All-American

brandon_uco.jpg?max_width=450

Joplin, Mo. -- Missouri Southern senior defensive lineman Brandon Williams has been named to his fourth All-America team as the Associated Press has tabbed him as a first-team selection to the "Little All-America" Team.

Williams, a 6-3, 325 native of Kirkwood, Mo. earns AP All-America status for the second-straight season and picks up his fourth-different nod this year, after being named an All-America selection by Daktronics, the AFCA and the Beyond Sports Network, as well.

The AP Little All-America Team recognizes players from Division II, III and the NAIA.

This year, Williams has been named a first-team selection by both the American Football Coaches Association and the Beyond Sports Network, where he was their national Defensive Player of The Year. He was also the MIAA Defensive Player of the Year and was the Daktronics Region Defensive Player of the Year.

Williams became the all-time sacks leader for the school and finished with 27 in his career at Missouri Southern. He had at least a half sack in all but three games this year and had a tackle for a loss in all but one game. He finished the season second on the team with 68 tackles, 31 solo, including 16.5 for a loss of 58 yards. He had 8.5 sacks for a loss of 39 yards, two pass break ups, eight quarterback hurries, five forced fumbles and one safety on the season and finished third in the MIAA in sacks and tackles for a loss, while ranking second in forced fumbles.

Williams has accepted an invitation to participate in the Senior Bowl in January. The complete All-America list is below.

I believe he does. If anyone gets a chance they should read that SI story. It's a good one. He is raw, but has a great attitude to go along with his athletic ability. So I know he would definitely pass the Falcon filter.

link to story, Sui? I would like to read it myself.

It will be really difficult to find a player that we all think is worthy of a 1st round pick at the #32 spot.

yeah, I have us picking at #30 (winning a playoff game and losing the NFCC game) but would rather pick #32 :D.

picking so late in each round basically makes it seem like our 1st round pick is a 2nd rounder, our 2nd is a 3rd, etc, etc.

Like the draft Dawg- not a big fan of minor league football [NCAA], don't know the players.

Understand your reasoning on Ansah- doubt he'll be available late 1st round- he'll be a combine wonder and shoot up the draft boards of a lot of teams. It's shame there aren't a half dozen good QB prospects like last year that would cause a player like him to fall.

If the draft fell that way, I'd be really happy. If Ansah is gone, I'd try to find the massive DT first, or go Oline-either RG or RT[ and move Clabo/Reynolds/Manley/Holmes to RG] then go best Dlineman I could find 2nd round.

My draft, as I stated in other threads, is heft to first 2 picks OL/DL, skill the next two RB/TE, speed the next WR/CB who are primary KO/PR

look at this guy - 325lbs and he has relatively small gut (by D-Tackle standards) - dude is big......dayum impressive - and he was very productive....AP All American, 2-time - granted, lower division of college football but still. Bio below says he will be in the Senior Bowl - looking forward to that.

http://www.mssulions.../20121219c7ufvy

Brandon Williams named AP All-American

brandon_uco.jpg?max_width=450

Joplin, Mo. -- Missouri Southern senior defensive lineman Brandon Williams has been named to his fourth All-America team as the Associated Press has tabbed him as a first-team selection to the "Little All-America" Team.

Williams, a 6-3, 325 native of Kirkwood, Mo. earns AP All-America status for the second-straight season and picks up his fourth-different nod this year, after being named an All-America selection by Daktronics, the AFCA and the Beyond Sports Network, as well.

The AP Little All-America Team recognizes players from Division II, III and the NAIA.

This year, Williams has been named a first-team selection by both the American Football Coaches Association and the Beyond Sports Network, where he was their national Defensive Player of The Year. He was also the MIAA Defensive Player of the Year and was the Daktronics Region Defensive Player of the Year.

Williams became the all-time sacks leader for the school and finished with 27 in his career at Missouri Southern. He had at least a half sack in all but three games this year and had a tackle for a loss in all but one game. He finished the season second on the team with 68 tackles, 31 solo, including 16.5 for a loss of 58 yards. He had 8.5 sacks for a loss of 39 yards, two pass break ups, eight quarterback hurries, five forced fumbles and one safety on the season and finished third in the MIAA in sacks and tackles for a loss, while ranking second in forced fumbles.

Williams has accepted an invitation to participate in the Senior Bowl in January. The complete All-America list is below.

I saw a thing they did on Brandon Williams on youtube. That dude is around 330 but is built like a tank. I have never seen a dude weigh that much but have such low body fat. I would like this dude in the later rounds and I think he could be a BIG sleeper.

I, too, like this draft, but with a couple of questions/thoughts --- with the uncertainty about Ansah's experience is it likely that he could drop into the 2nd. If so, and if we trade back ,we possibly could get him and Warford who I really like but have the feeling that the FO is going with Reynolds/ Manley or Clabo at RG with Holmes at RT. As to RB, Ball is good but he already has a lot of 'miles' on him. Rather have Gillislee.

Thoughts when putting this mock together

• I like Eddie Lacy(RB-Alabama) better than Montee Ball but I did not want to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a RB. Gillisee is intriguing but Ball seems more of a sure thing - i could be convinced to flip this pick to Gillisee but I'm sticking with Ball for now.
  • I like Zach Ertz and Tyler Eifert but just don't want to use a premium pick on a Tight End when Falcons have so many needs accross the offensive and defensive lines.

Glad you clarified that g-dawg. I would rather have Lacy and if not Lacy then Gillisle.