As Per Chris Mortenson...

Are you saying that these interviews won't be any distraction? You can't be fully prepared for such interviews because you have to make a case for each interview that is specific to each team, its division, and its personnel. That's a lot of work.

preparing for interviews of this magnitude takes time, but more importantly is stressful and takes away mental presence.

Of course he has every right to take these chances. And as others mentioned, when coordinators can be fired midseason, they should also be allowed to interview midseason. But the more professional approach is to have a short conceptual interview, during which you state your interest, your general philosophy, but decline to have a full interview during the playoff. If a team is interested they'll wait, and if they don't wait then they are not worth your level of professionalism. I think in the long run that's more beneficial to him too.

Teams don't wait. They're looking to hire ASAP to get their draft board, FA targets and other hires in order. Their offseason began yesterday.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were offered an interview for a job making 4-5 times as much as your current salary, and you could only interview for it during your normal work schedule, would you use a vacation to do it? You're crazy if you wouldn't.

It depends what my job is. If my interview would adversely affect many people (players and fans), I would take a very hard look at that decision. Maybe I would still do it, but I like to think that I won't. Most importantly, I would like to think that I won't because by staying true to your principle you increase your long term value. Kirk's best shot at a successful HC career is to make sure that he'll do a heck of a job in postseason with Falcons.

It depends what my job is. If my interview would adversely affect many people (players and fans), I would take a very hard look at that decision. Maybe I would still do it, but I like to think that I won't. Most importantly, I would like to think that I won't because by staying true to your principle you increase your long term value. Kirk's best shot at a successful HC career is to make sure that he'll do a heck of a job in postseason with Falcons.

Every dollar you don't make today is a dollar you'll never have.

No condescension at all, do you have a wife/husband/kids?

Are you saying that these interviews won't be any distraction? You can't be fully prepared for such interviews because you have to make a case for each interview that is specific to each team, its division, and its personnel. That's a lot of work.

preparing for interviews of this magnitude takes time, but more importantly is stressful and takes away mental presence.

Of course he has every right to take these chances. And as others mentioned, when coordinators can be fired midseason, they should also be allowed to interview midseason. But the more professional approach is to have a short conceptual interview, during which you state your interest, your general philosophy, but decline to have a full interview during the playoff. If a team is interested they'll wait, and if they don't wait then they are not worth your level of professionalism. I think in the long run that's more beneficial to him too.

Well, I don't disagree with you. smile.png

It'd be a 'game week' distraction, had it been next week.

If any interviews to be done this is the week, as others have pointed out.

It's unprofessional for DK to accept an interview. He should be committed to this team. Preparing for an interview like this takes lots of preparation and time. He simply doesn't have that time. If a team really wants him, they'll wait. It also assures the prospective team that he is a committed and loyal employee. He should just decline interviews for the time being.

We don't even know who the eff our opponent is. It's impossible to draw up a game plan to beat X team when we don't know who X team is yet. People need to calm the freak down!

It's unprofessional for DK to accept an interview. He should be committed to this team. Preparing for an interview like this takes lots of preparation and time. He simply doesn't have that time. If a team really wants him, they'll wait. It also assures the prospective team that he is a committed and loyal employee. He should just decline interviews for the time being.

Chill. This has nothing to do with DK's professionalism. If I remember correctly this was a policy initiated by the commissioner's office because some African American assistant coaches on playoff teams were not getting a chance to interview for headcoaching positions.

MM passing offense is very vanilla he almost exclusively uses isolation routes which requires the WR to do all the work to get open,so this requires top notch WRs to be effective. Isolation routes are a lot easier to defend and identify Madden 13 plays anybody

Koetter on the other hand does have routes that are designed to open up other WRs I know several people on here have noticed how routes now work off of each other

Edited by Brehus

MM passing offense is very vanilla he almost exclusively uses isolation routes which requires the WR to do all the work to get open,so this requires to notch WRs to be effective. Isolation routes are a lot easier to defend and identify Madden 13 plays anybody

Koetter on the other hand does have routes that are designed to open up other WRs I know several people on here have noticed how routes now work off of each other

I like those wide receiver screens or automatic blocking routes w/e that Green Bay uses. Imagine Julio and Roddy on those routes.

This sux for us. One reason Mularkey called a bad game last year in the playoffs was because he was interviewing for HC jobs. Why can't they wait until after the SB for crying out loud? We need FOCUS.

Mularkey NEVER called a good game when he was here.... The only time the offense was good was when Ryan was running no huddle.

Mularkey NEVER called a good game when he was here.... The only time the offense was good was when Ryan was running no huddle.

He called a good game against the Jags last year when we played them He had to look good for that game so the Jags would be dumb enough to pick him up as a coach other then that game I agree with you

If he does leave what do you guys think about bringing in Norv? Hes not a good head coach but he is a very good coordinator. Kind of reminds me of Nolan's situation.

I think Norv would be ok for Ryan, like Tom Moore to Manning.

In the later years, Moore was Mannings game planner and sideline advisor.

Now if Norv is the best fit for Ryan, I do not know that answer, but the one thing

that all of us know about Norv is that the guy has been through pure heII for many years.

Atlanta would be a nice place for Norv to land.

I also dont think that Norv would put up with Smitty's BS scripting and

Smitty could actually sit back and learn.

Well, if we do lose Koetter, there are some appealing candidates now on the market to fill an open OC position here, if it does in fact become open. Some fired head coaches who were OCs previously I doubt will be hired again as head coaches and may not mind picking up OC with a successful team. Turner comes to mind. Whisenhunt was just released also. There may be some othe rlittle know OCs as well.

The one caveat is chemistry and smooth transition . . . NE is about the only team I know that has had constant changes at OC and still succeeded.

I wouldn't mind Andy Reid. He's pass happy and that's the way our offense is geared now. I always hated the Eagles but I think he'd be a good OC.

I think it creates negative mojo for a team to know that its OC is out there interviewing for other jobs right before the playoffs. I don't have stats or 'history' (useless as that is) to back up this opinion, it just strikes my gut as being something I would not appreciate as a player.

If I were a player I'd be put off to think my coordinators were not putting maximum concentration into the task at hand. I know there's a lot of time before we even know our opponent, but there are only 3 possible opponents so he could be at least lining up a plan; and if the OC were to say to all the other teams, 'I'm not talking until after our season is over', I would be grateful for that.

That might be silly but at this point I would want the Falcons playoff game(s) to be the most important thing in the universe for everyone in the organization, and everything else to be ignored.

@mortreport: Chiefs granted permission by Falcons to interview OC Dirk Koetter on Tuesday.

I thought we were overrated and suck and all that. What was it ...the 'GIGLI' of pro football!!! Why does anyone want our coaches? Why dont they go after Seattle's coaches? Theyre really good. Fkkrs!!!!

Edited by dzor22

Here's why I want Norv Turner as the Falcons OC if we lose Koetter.

2011 CHARGERS

Yards - 393.1 (6th)

Points - 25.4 (5th)

2012 FALCONS

Yards - 369.1 (8th)

Points - 26.2 (7th)

and look at the weapons we have compared to what he was working with

Ryan is better than rivers

Roddy is better than Brown or floyd as vjax was gone most of the year

Julio is better than Brown or Floyd

tony is better than gates by far and has a functional toe

mathews was good but nothing special, slight upgrade over turner