As Per Chris Mortenson...

Gibson's Finest

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if we do lose Koetter, there are some appealing candidates now on the market to fill an open OC position here, if it does in fact become open. Some fired head coaches who were OCs previously I doubt will be hired again as head coaches and may not mind picking up OC with a successful team. Turner comes to mind. Whisenhunt was just released also. There may be some othe rlittle know OCs as well.

The one caveat is chemistry and smooth transition . . . NE is about the only team I know that has had constant changes at OC and still succeeded.

Edited by Falcon Knight

This sux for us. One reason Mularkey called a bad game last year in the playoffs was because he was interviewing for HC jobs. Why can't they wait until after the SB for crying out loud? We need FOCUS.

I don't buy that for one second. Mularkey said he saw our matchup and knew we were toast. He had his head up his *** and in typical Mularkey fashion was stubborn and predictable with his gameplan.

Koetter interviewing this week won't effect his ability to call a good game IMHO.

He's a professional, interviewing for jobs is not going to prevent him from doing the best he can to come up with a rock solid game plan. Suppose he doesn't get one of these jobs, don't look real good if he has to explain to Blank why he put himself over this team. Mularkey was a dead man walking last year. He knew he was gone no matter what - either fired or going to Jax, he was scared of the Giants and he put together a terrible, throw in the towel game plan. He said as much after, something along the lines of "I knew we had no chance".

I wish Dirk the best, but he knows that he is still employed by this team, and very well could be next year. I have no issue with him keeping his options open.

This sux for us. One reason Mularkey called a bad game last year in the playoffs was because he was interviewing for HC jobs. Why can't they wait until after the SB for crying out loud? We need FOCUS.

That was not the reason the Falcons had a bad game plan against the Giants. It was because Mularkey is an idiot who didn't think he could come up with a game plan to beat the Giants so he didn't even try.

If that means tomorrow, Dirk doesn't even know who we will be playing.

Exactly. It's absolutely impossible to draw up a game plan when you don't know who the opponent is.

Well, if we do lose Koetter, there are some appealing candidates now on the market to fill an open OC position here, if it does in fact become open. Some fired head coaches who were OCs previously I doubt will be hired again as head coaches and may not mind picking up OC with a successful team. Turner comes to mind. Whisenhunt was just released also. There may be some othe rlittle know OCs as well.

The one caveat is chemistry and smooth transition . . . NE is about the only team I know that has had constant changes at OC and still succeeded.

I don't worry about bringing in a new OC as much as I would a new DC. On offense we have a ton of really strong leadership. On defense the face this year has been Mike Nolan. No matter who we would bring in on off, they're still going to be focused on Matt/Roddy/Julio.

1) now is the best time for a playoff team to have their coordinators interviewed - the BYE week means today and Wednesday are available without losing any of the sacred "focus."

2) DK is a significant upgrade over MM, but imo, we are on the cusp of having our QB be the OC. We all saw how the offense in previous years worked best when Ryan went no-huddle and took over the playcalling. His maturation has continued this season and will continue to do so. Just like Peyton Manning is the person who is ultimately deciding what his offense is going to do, Matt Ryan will be THE man when it comes to how the Falcons offense operates. He needs an OC to bounce ideas off of and present a bird's eye view from the booth.

Koetter talking to Pioli this week will have nothing to do with how the Offense plays in 13 days.

If he does leave what do you guys think about bringing in Norv? Hes not a good head coach but he is a very good coordinator. Kind of reminds me of Nolan's situation.

Nope, DK is a very good HC. I loved him at Boise and Zona St. He really got the most of his talent, wasn't a good recruiter at all.