For Those Of Us Upset With Smith....

Gibson's Finest

Deion Sanders raised a good point that I didn't think about or see anyone (including myself) mention. He said he had no problems with playing our starters yesterday, and that some players have performance clauses in their contracts. The players WANTED to play and you have to allow it. The Giants did it in 2007 knowing they couldn't improve their playoff position (yes, they had some incentive for playing that game, but they still lost). In the end, it worked out for them. I see no reason why it can't for us. Injuries can happen and did yesterday but they could and have happened during the season. Now we play the waiting game and see what happens in 2 weeks

Deion Sanders raised a good point that I didn't think about or see anyone (including myself) mention. He said he had no problems with playing our starters yesterday, and that some players have performance clauses in their contracts. The players WANTED to play and you have to allow it. The Giants did it in 2007 knowing they couldn't improve their playoff position (yes, they had some incentive for playing that game, but they still lost). In the end, it worked out for them. I see no reason why it can't for us. Injuries can happen and did yesterday but they could and have happened during the season. Now we play the waiting game and see what happens in 2 weeks

The team could just agree to pay the incentive clause without the player playing if they wanted to, so that reasoning doesn't really work.

Good point lil avatar bro. I still don't like the way it went down.

Team owners would never agree to pay incentives not met. Bad presidence.

Hmm....

http://www.leanblog.org/2011/01/individual-nfl-player-incentives-why-are-they-necessary-do-they-distort-the-game/

Patriots running back Corey Dillon had a $350,000 incentive riding on the last game of the year. Coach Bill Belicheck told him earlier in the week that the team would pay the incentive no matter what happened. This seems like a good practice to keep players focused on the team and not individual stats. Maybe Tom Brady isn’t the only reason he has those Super Bowl rings?

Why do I know that? Are you saying the Falcons are cheap?

In some cases yes the falcons are cheap. How many teams/owners have you seen pay out incentives without players going out and finishing their end of the deal. Neither one of us know what type of clauses these players have and what they were trying to reach

Hmm....

http://www.leanblog....stort-the-game/

Patriots running back Corey Dillon had a $350,000 incentive riding on the last game of the year. Coach Bill Belicheck told him earlier in the week that the team would pay the incentive no matter what happened. This seems like a good practice to keep players focused on the team and not individual stats. Maybe Tom Brady isn’t the only reason he has those Super Bowl rings?

wow checkmate laugh.png

He was gonna get second guessed by some either way.

Honestly.....I wanted Ryan benched because it all rides on his shoulders. But I also like the 'no player is bigger than the team mentality'.

What message does it send to the players you don't bench?

This team has too many 'key' players to bench everyone. You have to field a team.

Hmm....

http://www.leanblog.org/2011/01/individual-nfl-player-incentives-why-are-they-necessary-do-they-distort-the-game/

that's just one team and one player. That's not something that happens every year on every team. I've never heard of the falcons doing it before so I see no reason to believe that they would have did it this year

that's just one team and one player. That's not something that happens every year on every team. I've never heard of the falcons doing it before so I see no reason to believe that they would have did it this year

The Falcons never clinched the number one seed with a week to spare before. They obviously had no idea how to handle it.

Falcons haven't been in this position but one other time in 46 years.

The Falcons never clinched the number one seed with a week to spare before. They obviously had no idea how to handle it.

I don't even think Smith even knew they clinched. Lol "That's why you play 16 games. To get that bye" that may not be the exact quote, im to lazy to click on the other thread

My problem was if you are willing to play your starters the whole game then they should be playing to win. That did not look like the case Sunday.

If the players are just playing for incentives then they are playing for themselves and not thinking as a team. That does not bode well for making a strong playoff run.

The team's success in the playoffs should be the priority in decision making. Helping players achieve incentives should never overide that. And when the two are at extreme odds, like the NE example above, there are still ways to deal with it that don't put your entire season at risk(with nothing to gain).

Smith is a great leader and motivator. He is dedicated, consistent, organized, dependable, etc. He is also a competitive disadvantage when it comes to in game decision-making and strategy. Hopefully our OC/DC can make us whole in that department.

No excuse though for exposing Ryan to that abuse and potential for injury. It's like risking your life for a cup of coffee. The risk/reward ratio just doesn't justify what Smitty did yesterday.