Look At The Coaches Getting The Ax And Be Thankful For Smitty.

Bring It

Thank God for our head coach Mike Smith...................our Smitty.

Think of the past years when Atlanta was among the teams where coaches were replaced like napkins at the dinner table. Constantly....................like musical chairs.

Look at the stability, the winning, the consistancy, the RESPECT he has brought to this team in the few years he has been here.

The grass is not greener somewhere else.

It's very green right here in Hotlanta.

Thank God for Smitty.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shows how valuable a good GM/coach combo is. A lot of teams have success for a year two and fall off (Chargers, Jets, Cardinals, Bears) and you're basically starting over after a bad year.

It's sad that so MANY fans think you should be in and win the SB just by having a great winning season, like it's some kind of automatic flip of a switch.

Go ask around 28 current NFL head coaches who NEVER won one how easy it is.

Relax. Rome wasn't built in a day.

And neither was Flowery Branch.

It took Bill Cowher 14 seasons to bring a Lombardi to Pittsburgh under his coaching. FOURTEEN!

How many Falcons fans would have that kind of patience? Very, very few, I suspect.

Fire Smitty after 5 (winning) seasons if we don't make it to the NFCCG? Crazy talk.

blink.png

But Supes, Pittsburgh already had trophies before then. We need to get 1 before we start talking patience. And it only took Chuck Knoll 5 years to win his 1st SB trophy.

Edited by Flying Falcon

blink.png

But Supes, Pittsburgh already had trophies before then. We need to get 1 before we start talking patience.

Be patient. We'll get one to start and more to come. But you don't get there by firing successful head coaches. That makes no sense.

However, if we go one-and-done again Jan. 13th and get blown out,.....well,.....it could get ugly.

Be patient. We'll get one to start and more to come. But you don't get there by firing successful head coaches. That makes no sense.

However, if we go one-and-done again and get blown out,.....well,.....

I know.

It's painful to come close and no cigar.

But it's coming. It's coming.

It depends how we perform in the playoffs, and how we approach that game.

If we play scared and get our behinds handed to us by Seattle/Washington/Minnesota, then I;d have no problem with Smith being shown the door.

Right now I am not convinced that MS has what ot takes to win the ultimate prize.

Any thought of firing Smitty under any circumstance including another one and done is just pure stupidity. I can still remember when the Smiths fired Leeman Bennett because they said that the team had reached a "plateau". Then they hired Dan Henning and years of misery followed. Like I already said, some people don't know how good we have it.

Edited by Falc_Fan_Since_Six

Perennial playoff teams don't change coaches. I expect the Falcons to be in the playoffs. Sorry but he doesn't get any extra credit from me. He is a great regular season coach. I want to see him become a great playoff head coach.

Nobody could have with MM as OC and BVG as DC. MS should have been coach of the year every year just for having to have them. He will win in the post season now.

We should compare him to other successful coaches, especially ones that have been around during his time as a head coach....

John Harbaugh - has 5 playoff victories

Cowher - had 3 playoff victories by this time

McCarthy - 1 victory by now

Jim Harbaugh - 1 victory

Payton - 4 playoff victories

Tomlin - 5 victories

...and thats just a sampling of other coaches that have been successful coaches early into their tenures.

Whats the difference between Smith and them? Not much in the regular season.

The problem I see with Smitty led teams is that we play to make no mistakes...constantly...and when we do, which good teams make you do, then we get into trouble.

I do believe this team is better equipped to come back in games then ever before, but our OL blows.