Can The Falcons D Stop The Pistol Spread College/high School/playground Offense?

E. T.

Yes they can. But it is very important that the dline gets in the backfield quick to disrupt any confusing handoffs.

A game that I remember is the Auburn/Oregon national champ game... Auburns dline was very disruptive to Oregons flow. Numerous times Nick Farley was in the backfield. We need to take a page from that game.

Can the dline line show up..I hope so.

Your thoughts on how to stop this confusing offensive scheme.....

easier said than done but i'd always have a guy spy RG3 or whoever the quarterback is. Let the other guys worry about the running back and let that one guy worry about the quarterback. if he takes off and run go get get him. have him play the middle of the field that way he can spy RG3 and tell my corners to win inside or the guy spying RG3 can held defend the slant over the middle they love to run off the play action

easier said than done but i'd always have a guy spy RG3 or whoever the quarterback is. Let the other guys worry about the running back and let that one guy worry about the quarterback. if he takes off and run go get get him. have him play the middle of the field that way he can spy RG3 and tell my corners to win inside or the guy spying RG3 can held defend the slant over the middle they love to run off the play action

We could learn a lot from the Dallas game last night, Ware was out of place most of the game. He kept biting on the handoff and letting RGIII burn him around the corners. I agree we need a spy on the end to keep a mobile quarterback honest. What is scary is RGIII (Wilson) are also a great passers so the secondary will have to play some 1 on 1 and win those match ups.

I cant believe you guys are asking for a spy. Do you not remember what happened when teams tried to use a spy on Vick when he was our QB? It was nothing more than one less guy to tackle Dunn when we handed the ball off and one less guy to cover the middle of the field against Alge Crumpler. And then when Vick decided to run he would just run right past the spy.

There is no one we could use to spy RG3 that would be able to catch him if he decided to run. That is if RG3 is back to 100%.

In the postgame last night, this question was asked and the talk was that DCs admit it cannot be totally stopped, in the sense that a QB who can properly run the read option (know how to read the DE) and is fast enough to be a running threat himself but can also be an accurate passer is not going to have ALL those options shut down by any defense. Ultimately, the D has to choose which option it is going to focus less on. The problems for this offense in the NFL thus far have been -

- the QB isn't accurate enough to truly make a D pay (we saw that with Vick, who was great at getting the ball to the TE, but really wasn't that effective using the WRs)

and/or

- the QB isn't big enough to both take the physical hits he's going to AND remain a running threat. that's why Cam is so tantalizing, because he IS big enough and fast enough. But oddly enough, sorta like Vick and Young, he's not emotionally mature enough to handle his business and be a true leader.

As for how the Falcons should defend against either Wilson or RGIII, the answer is beat them up physically and MAKE THE TFL EVERY TIME YOU'RE IN POSITION TO DO SO. That last one is the real key - putting those offenses in 2nd and 3rd and long minimizes the practicality of the other options. They kill defenses when it's always 2nd and 5, 3rd and 3, because every option remains viable. And missing those opportunities to make the TFL in the backfield tend to demoralize and frustrate the D, messing with their heads and creating distractions that open up really big plays. Focusing on fundamentals (wrapping up - THIS MEANS YOU DUNTA, and keeping gap/lane discipline) will be important.

In the postgame last night, this question was asked and the talk was that DCs admit it cannot be totally stopped, in the sense that a QB who can properly run the read option (know how to read the DE) and is fast enough to be a running threat himself but can also be an accurate passer is not going to have ALL those options shut down by any defense. Ultimately, the D has to choose which option it is going to focus less on. The problems for this offense in the NFL thus far have been -

- the QB isn't accurate enough to truly make a D pay (we saw that with Vick, who was great at getting the ball to the TE, but really wasn't that effective using the WRs)

and/or

- the QB isn't big enough to both take the physical hits he's going to AND remain a running threat. that's why Cam is so tantalizing, because he IS big enough and fast enough. But oddly enough, sorta like Vick and Young, he's not emotionally mature enough to handle his business and be a true leader.

As for how the Falcons should defend against either Wilson or RGIII, the answer is beat them up physically and MAKE THE TFL EVERY TIME YOU'RE IN POSITION TO DO SO. That last one is the real key - putting those offenses in 2nd and 3rd and long minimizes the practicality of the other options. They kill defenses when it's always 2nd and 5, 3rd and 3, because every option remains viable. And missing those opportunities to make the TFL in the backfield tend to demoralize and frustrate the D, messing with their heads and creating distractions that open up really big plays. Focusing on fundamentals (wrapping up - THIS MEANS YOU DUNTA, and keeping gap/lane discipline) will be important.

Great analysis. I agree completely in that getting into the backfield and making tackles behind the LOS is the only way to reduce the effectiveness of the read-option. Other than to knock the QB out of the game of course.

I dont think a spy would work good... Thats probably what they are hoping for is for a defense to spy which would leave Garcon open in the middle, also one less man to tackle the person with the ball. Everyone on the Falcons D must play extremely disciplined.

The dline must get that push and be disruptive.. They have to collapse the pocket where the ball transfer is happening

Its hard to say this. But vangorder was really good at stopping those kind of offenses when he was here. Nobody could run the wildcat on us. And he did a good job shutting down cam newton last year. To be honest we havent been good at all this year against mobile qbs. We did well against rg3 but hes grown since then. Cam torched us twice. I honestly believe we will have to score a ton of points in the playoffs to win because we are going to have a tough time getting off the field on defense.