SyCo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith and Ellis - Gone

Harper and Vilma - restructure

Draft another DE, OLB, and CB.

More pressure on the QB and our DBs aren't trying to cover receivers for 30 seconds.

I agree with everything but Harper restructure. We should be trying to upgrade free safety.

I agree with everything but Harper restructure. We should be trying to upgrade free safety.

Looking at the draft and free agency ( lack of cap space )...we may have to keep Harper

Considering all the defensive players the saints have drafted the last three seasons what is going on with your defense? Is Loomis missing the bus with these picks?

camkick2.gif?w=465&h=243

Considering all the defensive players the saints have drafted the last three seasons what is going on with your defense? Is Loomis missing the bus with these picks?

camkick2.gif?w=465&h=243

The organization seems to have an easier time finding offensive gems,rather than defensive gems,in the draft.

Now there is some raw,undeveloped talent on defense like Jordan,Hicks that needs to be surrounded with better leadership.

Lofton being in Spags system for a year should help out with that current lack of leadership.

The Saints haven't drafted that many defensive players as you indicate. Here's a look at Round 1 thru Round 4 picks.

DB Robinson 1st (Starter)

4th rounder cut

DE Jordan 1st (Starter)

LB Wilson 3rd (Situational Player)

DB 4th Patrick (Nickle/Dime Player)

DT Hicks 3rd (Rotational starter)

Fact is Saints haven't drafted many defensive players....and it shows. I suspect that may change this year.

Edited by SaintRay

The Saints haven't drafted that many defensive players as you indicate. Here's a look at Round 1 thru Round 4 picks.

DB Robinson 1st (Starter)

4th rounder cut

DE Jordan 1st (Starter)

LB Wilson 3rd (Situational Player)

DB 4th Patrick (Nickle/Dime Player)

DT Hicks 3rd (Rotational starter)

Fact is Saints haven't drafted many defensive players....and it shows. I suspect that may change this year.

Need some help on the O too- esp. if the LT walks. Going to be interesting to see how the Saints draft this year.

You mean the guy who couldn't get Brees contract done in time to franchise Nicks? And who currently has his team 20 million over cap? That Loomis?

Yes, that Loomis.

if Loomis were available, he'd be one of the most sought after GM's in the league.

Loomis helped the Saints turn the franchise around and land a Super Bowl victory. he's brought in a very nice pool of talent, regardless of how 2012 played out.

Tom Benson was clear he'd spend money now to take advantage of Drew Brees and the team around him. Another Super Bowl run is certainly possible before Drew hangs it up in 3-4 years.

Laugh all you want about the salary cap issue, but we all know if the owner is willing to spend money, there are ways around the cap. In another couple of years, the cap is going to shoot up. There's room to play today.

Yes, that Loomis.

if Loomis were available, he'd be one of the most sought after GM's in the league.

Loomis helped the Saints turn the franchise around and land a Super Bowl victory. he's brought in a very nice pool of talent, regardless of how 2012 played out.

Tom Benson was clear he'd spend money now to take advantage of Drew Brees and the team around him. Another Super Bowl run is certainly possible before Drew hangs it up in 3-4 years.

Laugh all you want about the salary cap issue, but we all know if the owner is willing to spend money, there are ways around the cap. In another couple of years, the cap is going to shoot up. There's room to play today.

All the reports I've read are that the cap isn't shooting up for several years.

Do you agree that signing Brees and franchising Nicks would have been a good thing?

Still going to be interesting to see where the Saints allocate resources.

All the reports I've read are that the cap isn't shooting up for several years.

Do you agree that signing Brees and franchising Nicks would have been a good thing?

Still going to be interesting to see where the Saints allocate resources.

We agree with the cap going up in several years...I said that in my first post.

I would have loved to keep Nicks, but Grubbs did a great job in relief of Nicks. Losing Nicks was adequately covered by Grubbs. I'll admit I wanted them to franchise Nicks, but it didn't work out that way. And don't forget, the franchise tag ticks players off bigtime. It usually spells the beginning of the end of that player.The Saints big problem is RT, not LG.

Brees not being signed earlier is semantics...he signed before the deadline. Football is a business. Fan's sometimes forget that.

Last year people all over this forum were asking how could Loomis possibly sign all those players...same thing the year before. None of us are cap experts. The cap can be beat. I expect it to happen again this year.

We agree with the cap going up in several years...I said that in my first post.

I would have loved to keep Nicks, but Grubbs did a great job in relief of Nicks. Losing Nicks was adequately covered by Grubbs. I'll admit I wanted them to franchise Nicks, but it didn't work out that way. And don't forget, the franchise tag ticks players off bigtime. It usually spells the beginning of the end of that player.The Saints big problem is RT, not LG.

Brees not being signed earlier is semantics...he signed before the deadline. Football is a business. Fan's sometimes forget that.

Last year people all over this forum were asking how could Loomis possibly sign all those players...same thing the year before. None of us are cap experts. The cap can be beat. I expect it to happen again this year.

My post was in response to the one where Loomis was going to come in and save the day- just pointing out that he's hardly perfect- just like any GM. If Miami had signed Brees, not sure if Loomis would be considered a great GM now.

Grubbs isn't Nicks- Brees never got pressure from the LG spot when Nicks was there, he does now.

Nicks could have been signed long term after being franchised, just like Brees was.

If you go back, you'll find posts where I was saying they're loading up for 2-3 year run with Brees still in his prime. Saints may well end up like the Colts of a couple of years ago- a top heavy team with a HOF QB, a couple of nice pieces and not much else. May still be enough to win it all.

Yes, the cap can be manipulated, but starting the year 15-20 million over the cap is hardly ideal. Means there's little room to make a mistake. Loomis is going to have to make some hard choices and rely on youngsters and draft picks to come through. If he misses on a couple of his choices, could make for a long year.

Like I said, going to be interesting to see what happens in NO this year. Consolation for Saints fans is that it'll all be football related, as opposed to last years nonsense.