Why We Played Our Starters Today

Miller2Rison

We played the starters today because I feel like all the talk of being "unable" to win a playoff game is in Smitty's head. Had we won a game in 08, 2010 or last year I don't think he's worried about this "rust vs. rest" nonsense and we rest guys. Playing them the whole game was asinine.

We played the starters today because I feel like all the talk of being "unable" to win a playoff game is in Smitty's head. Had we won a game in 08, 2010 or last year I don't think he's worried about this "rust vs. rest" nonsense and we rest guys. Playing them the whole game was asinine.

I was all for the starters playing, and nothing has remotely changed that feeling. We are paid to play, and the fans pay to see you play. Overall, I am happy with the outcome. I would have loved another win, but we faced some challenges that helped remove some bugs on this team. Tampa Bay is a good team that has gone through some things. This is a great scouting game. McClain covering Vincent Jackson was great. Ryan getting pressured was great. Spoon busting heads was awesome as well. The thing that most impressed me was something that we have been waiting for all season long. Harry Douglas returning punts.

u gotta look at how bad we have been in the playoffs and how bad the packers were in the playoffs last year

Is that the norm though if we go over the past 10 years? That's what I don't get...a few teams have had success with it recently and suddenly everyone is convinced that rest/a bye is a bad thing. It's silly to me!

Is that the norm though if we go over the past 10 years? That's what I don't get...a few teams have had success with it recently and suddenly everyone is convinced that rest/a bye is a bad thing. It's silly to me!

the game has changed in the last 10 years bro, we get a bye week thats a good thing but 2 weeks off hasnt worked out as of late

the game has changed in the last 10 years bro, we get a bye week thats a good thing but 2 weeks off hasnt worked out as of late

I think people are going overboard and being prisoners of the moment though. Wasn't all that long ago that the Saints & Colts were 1 seeds and met in the SB. Sometimes a road team just comes in and plays a better game than the team with a bye. I'm not convinced it's a rust thing.

I think people are going overboard and being prisoners of the moment though. Wasn't all that long ago that the Saints & Colts were 1 seeds and met in the SB. Sometimes a road team just comes in and plays a better game than the team with a bye. I'm not convinced it's a rust thing.

i think both teams kept their starters in last game of the season

To ANYONE in this conversation:

This thread and the OBJECTIVE at hand is psychological.

There is no 'perfect' answer that answers all.

After all, who knows the mind completely?

Some good points in the thread. Some leave a lot of questions, instead of answers. Nice try but such thinking is hardly the point.

I just think they really needed to make a statement. Meaning, they needed to put a whooping on this team.

As it is now, whatever team comes in here in the divisional round will have more confidence than the Falcons will have. The Falcons will be playing a little tight, with what happened the past two playoff seasons way in the back of their minds. I mean, Tampa Bay? Heck, Kansas City would have given this team a better game. And this Atlanta team thinks it is going to the Super Bowl?

Atlanta needed to play like a champion today. Alas, they did not.

We played vanilla all day & I am happy with that. I am very happy Matt got the record (32 TDs) but other than that I am not really that bummed about this game. People that have never played a sport don't understand the mental difference between a "must" win & a game that doesn't matter if you win or lose. Sometimes if there is nothing there for you, you unconciously just go through the motions.

Think I am wrong? Did anyone suddenly forget the game we mailed in against the Panties 3 weeks ago? Anyone remember the curb stomping we gave against a team we "had to beat" the following week?

I liked what Smith did because this years team has been very complacent, even played that way today. In big games this year we've demolished our opponents, but in almost every game with little media hype against a bad team we've come out flat. In the end hopefully it's a lesson to the team that once again, no matter WHO you play in regular season or playoffs you have to be on your game.

Our team usually plays well coming off of a loss so let's hope they keep the trend going in two weeks.

we all know play to win, play for momentun, play to be 8-0 at home yada yada yada but the real reason our starters played was so that garbage we displayed today is not the same garbage that takes the field in the playoffs, the last 2 years that is the garbage we got in the post season.

That's the way I'm going to look at it.

i think both teams kept their starters in last game of the season

The Colts did not. They rested guys as soon as the 1 seed was locked. I think the Saints rested guys in the last game. Fuzzier on that but I'm pretty positive they didn't have guys playing on the 2nd half of the last game.