Smitty Is Danged If He Does, Danged If He Doesn't

I really hate that Abe and Dunta got hurt today. But if we don't play our starters and come out flat in the playoffs, going one and done, then everybody would be pointing fingers at the coach and saying the layoff was too long and we should have played the starters. If we do play the starters, we have the possibility of getting what we got today, the unfortunate injuries. Mike Smith can't win either way. I'm just going to pray those guys can make it back in time and if they can't, someone else is just going to have to step up.

I really hate that Abe and Dunta got hurt today. But if we don't play our starters and come out flat in the playoffs, going one and done, then everybody would be pointing fingers at the coach and saying the layoff was too long and we should have played the starters. If we do play the starters, we have the possibility of getting what we got today, the unfortunate injuries. Mike Smith can't win either way. I'm just going to pray those guys can make it back in time and if they can't, someone else is just going to have to step up.

How dare you come onto this board and post such intelligent, well-articulated sense? Don't you know you're supposed to be running around with your hair on fire right now?

Who do you think you are anyway????

Actually its pretty sad we had our starters in whole game and lost. I think the message was better other way around resting our starters

Not really. You ever put your 2 weeks notice in at a job? You know how motivated you are those last few days? It's like that. They had nothing to play for, no benefit to going 110%, no benefit to running more than a basic gameplan. Hard to get motivated when it doesn't matter. Edited by Optimus*Crimes

Smitty frustrates the ever living heII out of me whether it's playing the starters, failing to get his guys motivated in certain games or his hot headed challenges. All the easily fixable things he can just never seem to grasp. If he doesn't get it done over the next 2 weeks I'm sorry but I'll be among the first who lights that fire under that hot seat.

Truth! People would be on here bitching either way.

Yeah but when just about everybody and their brother was calling for the benching of Abe's and Roddys of the world (I know I was) it's frustrating as all heck to sit there and watch your worse nightmare unfold itself before you when you know it was preventable. We don't need Captain Hindsight for this one.

I don't have an issue with him playing the starters but I have an issue with playing ALL of them. Abe, Asante, and Julio should not ave played at all because of their history and their importance to the team. 3-5 others should have been pulled later in the game.

Didn't like how alot of the gameplan went through our star wideout with a Knee Injury either. Also have a problem with TODAY of all days being the day Turner FINALLY took a backseat when he's easily the most expendable starter we have at ANY position, what if Quizz had gotten hurt? Phatty looked good on that touchdown though hope he's got some more left in em in the postseason.

Yeah but when just about everybody and their brother was calling for the benching of Abe's and Roddys of the world (I know I was) it's frustrating as all heck to sit there and watch your worse nightmare unfold itself before you when you know it was preventable. We don't need Captain Hindsight for this one.

It sucks that Abe got hurt. But **** happens.

Not really. You ever put your 2 weeks notice in at a job? You know how motivated you are those last few days? It's like that. They had nothing to play for, no benefit to going 110%, no benefit to running more than a basic gameplan. Hard to get motivated when it doesn't matter.

Win. Defend the dome. Sigh... I had hoped they would finish the season 14-2 and 8-0 at home, but I suppose that's just a triviality. But still, don't you want this season to be as memorable as possible?

I agree. Aside from the loss, I think the game was managed well. It always sucks to see injuries, but like Falconfan567 says, **** happens.

Please guys, drink up and relax. Raging is unnecessary.

It sucks that Abe got hurt. But **** happens.

Yes it does happen....In the course of trying to win a normal football game. Instead he went down for a totally meaningless cause.

This is the equivalent of getting killed during a Wargames exercise two weeks before you were supposed to be shiped off to defend your country.

I don't have an issue with him playing the starters but I have an issue with playing ALL of them. Abe, Asante, and Julio should not ave played at all because of their history and their importance to the team. 3-5 others should have been pulled later in the game.

THIS I can agree with. In a perfect world, the starters probably sit out the entire game, but if not, ESPECIALLY the major guys. Guys like Ryan, Abe, Gonzo, JJ, Roddy, etc. I don't buy the "If they don't play, they will come out flat" argument. You still have practice. And ****, if they can't be motivated after being stomped in three straight playoff appearances, I don't know what will.

If Smith wanted to play the starters a while, and he clearly did, then play them at most the first half, and no matter the score, effort, or performance, sit them all the second half.

Not really. You ever put your 2 weeks notice in at a job? You know how motivated you are those last few days? It's like that. They had nothing to play for, no benefit to going 110%, no benefit to running more than a basic gameplan. Hard to get motivated when it doesn't matter.

Which just points out the inescapable fact that whether the fans in here would've liked it or hated it, playing the starters in this game was just plain stupid. Doing it accomplished nothing except rattling the team's confidence, stunting it's momentum and getting some players hurt that we can't afford to be without.

Edited by PokerSteve