Opening Handoff To Turner Every Game

Why do we hand it to Turner on the same identical play every opening possession of every game for a one yard gain?

The only logical choice to that is a setup of something massive for a huge opponent in the post season. I hope we don't outhink ourselves and try some flea flicker nonesense or a crazy deep bomb off of that play when the defense has 16 straight handoffs to turner on opening play on film. It just may be the setup of something like that, but id hate to see a silly turnover to start a game of large magnitude.

In the last few games its been Turner, better than last year but that has been the trend from the Panthers game. It worked against the Giants and didn't against the DET. Worked pretty well against the Aints though it was a carry on second down. The first series with running game has been good.

Edited by falcons007

Against KC

-Turner 6 yard run

Denver

-Turner no gain

San Diego

-Julio catch for 19 yards

Carolina

-incomplete to Roddy

Wash

-Turner 1 yard

Oakland

-Julio catch for 25 yards

Dallas

-incomplete to Polite

Nawlins

- Negative 3 yards Turner

Philly

-Turner 2 yards

Arizona

- Ryan INT

Tampa

-Turner 2 yards

Nawlins

- Tony 9 yard catch

Carolina

- Turner 3 yards

New Yawk

- Turner 3 yards

Detroit

- Turner no gain

...so 15 plays to digest.

9 rushes -

-Turner all of them...9 carries for 14 yards

6 passes

-1 INT

-1 inc to Roddy

-1 inc to Polite

-1 Tony reception for 9 yards

-2 Julio receptions for 44 yards

...so basically the only thing working on first down is passing to Julio...maybe we should pass to Julio more.

we have thrown it 6 times first.....ran it 9.....it was actually 6/6 until the last 3....id say the last 3 we were trying to set a tone early that we were commited to running.

i really dont know where you get your stats from killa.

p.s. ryan is like 3-6 on opening the game with a pass..with a pick

Edited by Markieh18

Based on your analysis, Matt turns to his right, fakes a hand off to Turner, as everyone on the line bites, and tackles Turner, Matty continues to turn to his right, Julio gives the CB covering him the ol' up to top speed acceleration in 5 steps routine and as the CB turns to run with him, he comes to a complete halt in two steps, turns and Matty hits him for a 15 yard pass. Julio turns and accelerates back up to top speed in 3 steps, then just blows by the CB, who is now headed back toward him, completely out of sync with the play and #11 cruises into the end zone!!!! H ell yeah!!!

GO FALCONS!!!

Oh yeah, by the way, it was COMPLETE BULL $HIT that Roddy didn't make the pro bowl!

Edited by bigatlfan2

Against KC

-Turner 6 yard run

Denver

-Turner no gain

San Diego

-Julio catch for 19 yards

Carolina

-incomplete to Roddy

Wash

-Turner 1 yard

Oakland

-Julio catch for 25 yards

Dallas

-incomplete to Polite

Nawlins

- Negative 3 yards Turner

Philly

-Turner 2 yards

Arizona

- Ryan INT

Tampa

-Turner 2 yards

Nawlins

- Tony 9 yard catch

Carolina

- Turner 3 yards

New Yawk

- Turner 3 yards

Detroit

- Turner no gain

...so 15 plays to digest.

9 rushes -

-Turner all of them...9 carries for 14 yards

6 passes

-1 INT

-1 inc to Roddy

-1 inc to Polite

-1 Tony reception for 9 yards

-2 Julio receptions for 44 yards

...so basically the only thing working on first down is passing to Julio...maybe we should pass to Julio more.

Thanks for the stats. I was actually looking for this and was too lazy to do the research. LOL

We threw it against the Saints

I've seen other games when we threw it as well. We do hand it to Turner often on the 1st play, but I've seen successful for a few yards gained more than not. I've only seen us go 3 and out on the 1st drive 1 time this year, maybe 2. So it can't be all that bad.

Edited by 4dabirds

My friend and fellow artist Gritz told me before the Giants game; "Smitty's been talking about how we have to establish the run. If our first play from scrimmage is Turner up the middle, we're toast!" I said; "Think so, huh?"

First play from scrimmage was Turner up the middle.

How'd that turn out? smile.png