Atlanta Falcons: Bendiest Defense In The Nfl

Kayoh

When looking at how good a defense is, there are some people that like to look at yards allowed. Some prefer to keep it simple and look at points allowed, since that's what matters when it comes to winning and losing. I prefer a mixture of the two where you divide yards given up by points surrendered to basically find which defenses are the best at bending, but not breaking. Atlanta is currently #1 in that statistic with a very solid 19.79 yards per point, with Seattle just behind them at 19.69. The next closest team is Chicago at 18.68, so it's quite the dropoff from 2-3.

This isn't necessarily something to tell you who the "best" defense in the league is, but it definitely tells you who the STINGIEST defense in the league is, and that crown belongs to us.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer a mixture of the two where you divide yards given up by points surrendered to basically find which defenses are the best at bending, but not breaking. Atlanta is currently #1 in that statistic with a very solid 19.79 yards per point...it definitely tells you who the STINGIEST defense in the league is, and that crown belongs to us.

the better term might be "most FRUSTRATING defense" - stingiest still goes to the team giving up the fewest points (or fewest points AND yards). "Frustrating" fits this stat better because the opponent's offense feels like they can move the ball, but never gets the points those yards would usually imply.

I think the yards allowed stat was probably proved worthless last year when the second worst defense of all time went 15-1, the 3rd worst defense of all time was the other number 1 seed and went to the Super Bowl, and the 27th ranked defense in the league won the Super Bowl.

I think the yards allowed stat was probably proved worthless last year when the second worst defense of all time went 15-1, the 3rd worst defense of all time was the other number 1 seed and went to the Super Bowl, and the 27th ranked defense in the league won the Super Bowl.

Yeah, I don't understand the obsession with "Yards Allowed". Really doesn't mean anything if you can't score. They don't give points for a 99yd drive that ends in an INT in the endzone.

Really puts things into prespective. If the defense continues to play as it has been we will win the Superbowl this year.

When looking at how good a defense is, there are some people that like to look at yards allowed. Some prefer to keep it simple and look at points allowed, since that's what matters when it comes to winning and losing. I prefer a mixture of the two where you divide yards given up by points surrendered to basically find which defenses are the best at bending, but not breaking. Atlanta is currently #1 in that statistic with a very solid 19.79 yards per point, with Seattle just behind them at 19.69. The next closest team is Chicago at 18.68, so it's quite the dropoff from 2-3.

This isn't necessarily something to tell you who the "best" defense in the league is, but it definitely tells you who the STINGIEST defense in the league is, and that crown belongs to us.

That's less than a field goals difference between 1-3. Nice!

Yeah, I don't understand the obsession with "Yards Allowed". Really doesn't mean anything if you can't score. They don't give points for a 99yd drive that ends in an INT in the endzone.

sure they do, if the DB runs it back for a score, just ask joe flacco LOL

J/K I know the point you're making. very true. all those yards CJ got last week, (and the whole year for that matter) are a perfect example. over 200 yards recieving and no TDs, big deal

how bout the eye test?? lol i mean we all watched this team all season, is there anyone who DOESN'T have complete faith in Mike Nolan and this defense?? he seems to play vanilla early to see if the front four can get pressure by themselves. If they aren't then he seems to go with a mixture of blitzes and he fixes it. I can care less about stats because you can skew them anyway you want to. I prefer to watch every game and i know we have a very good defense....

Those werent bend but don't break defenses. They were just bad defenses. This defense is good, very good. We shutout the giants WITHOUT one of our best defenders. Don't compare Nolan's with those other coordinators crappy schemes.

Imagine if Nolan stays here for 3+ years and brings in pieces he wants..

Nolan is running a classic BBDB. 10 yard cushions, rush four or five, play a shtload of zones, keep the ball underneath, let the offense rack up what Mora used to call "empty yards", then stiffen in the red zone. I'm pretty sure that is a Smitty edict though. Smitty ran the same thing down in JAX and every year up here.

Nolan is running a classic BBDB. 10 yard cushions, rush four or five, play a shtload of zones, keep the ball underneath, let the offense rack up what Mora used to call "empty yards", then stiffen in the red zone. I'm pretty sure that is a Smitty edict though. Smitty ran the same thing down in JAX and every year up here.

Nolans scheme changes each game. That is pretty obvious. You must not watch all the 'tape' you say. Either that or you have no clue what you're watching.

I was thinking about this the other day. "Bend but don't break" doesn't really describe our defense. Bend but don't break to me is where drives just sort of grind to a halt and result in a FG. Our defense tends to end drives with a bang.

The "Bend" is actually more of a compression or spring loading in our defense. It's like pulling back the string on a bow. For the offense, everything seems to be heading in the right direction until the string is released.

We are more of a "Bend then break you" defense.

I'm pretty sure the game plan isn't let them into the red zone THEN do something. He's trying to constantly confuse and create turnovers. Just because our guys miss tackles to give up yards or we can't win one on ones to get pressure doesn't mean its in the scheme.

Zone is just as capable of stopping an offense as man. Playing zone isn't conceding yards if you execute. Its just the safer option to some.

Nolans scheme changes each game. That is pretty obvious. You must not watch all the 'tape' you say. Either that or you have no clue what you're watching.

Bush it. They might show some pre-snap amoeba looks but when that ball is snapped they drop back in the same cover 2 look most of the tme. He occasionally sends a safety or LB but not much.