Something The Falcons Need To Learn

Falconsfan567

Reading 'Bill Walsh The Score Takes Care of Itself' and Bill Walsh said something that I think the Falcons need to learn and take to heart.

"It also meant as the years accrued, personnel had to be changed so that we remained near the summit. Players past their peak or near the end of their usefulness had to be taken out of the organization....when I had to look a great performer in the eye and say "It's time for you to leave." There is perhaps no way you can do it without causing deep pain. But, the organization, our team, came first."

I think the Falcons need to learn that and implement it. I say this because there are 2 players that are doing more harm than good for the team this season, Todd McClure and Michael Turner. There are players on the roster that would be upgrades over each player and make the team better.

But because Mike Smith respects what they have meant to the Falcons success over the years he doesn't want to make a change. But a change needs to be made for the better.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This will probably be the last season for both of them.

That being said, I think there is a method to what the Falcons are doing here. They are going to need Turner to get some tough yards in the playoffs, and he showed us in the Giants game that he is still capable of getting some tough yards when he runs like he means it.

As far as McClure goes, I'm not sure that there is an upgrade for him on the roster. Maybe....but I haven't seen it.

This will probably be the last season for both of them.

That being said, I think there is a method to what the Falcons are doing here. They are going to need Turner to get some tough yards in the playoffs, and he showed us in the Giants game that he is still capable of getting some tough yards when he runs like he means it.

As far as McClure goes, I'm not sure that there is an upgrade for him on the roster. Maybe....but I haven't seen it.

Maybe on McClure. But Rodgers and Snelling are better options than Turner at this point.

Smith's stubborn refusal to replace players who have clearly passed thir prime is one of his worst traits. Turner and McClure are perfect examples of his hesitancy to make obviously needed changes. Both should've have been gone after last year. I'm sure it's one of the most unpleasant tasks as a head coach, but when a player is no longer able to produce at the highest level, you have to be enough of a leader to ignore personal ties and loyalty and make the change for the good of the team.

Smith's stubborn refusal to replace players who have clearly passed thir prime is one of his worst traits. Turner and McClure are perfect examples of his hesitancy to make obviously needed changes. Both should've have been gone after last year. I'm sure it's one of the most unpleasant tasks as a head coach, but when a player is no longer able to produce at the highest level, you have to be enough of a leader to ignore personal ties and loyalty and make the change for the good of the team.

As Bill Walsh said it's the hardest part of being a leader of an entire organization but it's something that needs to be done to keep the organization at the top of the summit.

We have two RB's.

Running back number one: has a slightly higher YPC and is a threat out of the backfield, seems to be more of a fit for any uptempo offense, doesn't need consistent blocking from a well oiled OL

Running back number two: downhill runner, needs strong blocks and a push at the LOS to get a head full of steam to be at his best and dangerous, slightly lower YPC, little to no threat out of backfield in passing game

Now, consider our offense, it's tempo, and our offensive line.

Which RB is more likely to succeed? It's a relatively clear choice.

10 TD's with less than a thousand yards! And still one more game to go! Not bad for a poor player having a shyte season, lolcatz!

Not this argument again.....MT 33 is on the cusp he cant burst much at all and is slow and hesitant however he has his moments and 10 TD'S is pretty darn good considering.

His cap hit is 8 million or thereabouts next season and he aint worth that. BUT I bet a shiny sixpence he will absolutely muller it in the play offs. Run through brick walls Michael!

As for Mud Duck - he too has four games left and he'd die for us. His experience is his best weapon along side some true grit and passion.

Timing is the most important thing if you read between Mr Walsh's lines and you could argue Smitty's loyalty has drained every last cents worth form both these guys...14-2 with a may prove his patience and faith is rewarded hugely. When those meetings come both parties will hurt but both will be very thankful!

Edited by leftfield

Really hope they're both gone after this year.

I think they will be. Interior offensive line is going to be a big priority. I think Konz and Hawley battle it out for Center, and we sign a big-name OG in free agency or draft one on Day Two to play the RG spot.

As for Turner, I'll be stunned if we don't cut him and move on to a free agent / Round 2 - 5 running back to split carries with Quizz.

So because he has 10 touchdowns it's ok for him to have the following line of games

11 CAR, 32 YDS (2.9)

17 CAR, 42 YDS (2.5), 1 TD

11 CAR, 33 YDS (3.0)

13 CAR, 15 YDS (1.2)

15 CAR, 46 YDS (3.1), 1 TD

13 CAR, 17 YDS (1.3), 1 TD

7 CAR, 14 YDS (2.0), 1 TD

13 CAR, 41 YDS (3.2)

werent you screaming the other day YARDS ARE MEANINGLESS when in regards of AP MVP ..

yet Turner yards mean more ?

which is it ?

Turner has 10 tds on season...so how is he hurting team?

Turner 2008 376 carries 1699 yds 17 TDs

so far in 2012 he has 216 carries(57%) for 782yards 9 TDs but 1 more game to go.

IF he were at his 2008 pace he would have (.57x1699) 968 yards and (.57x17) 9 TDs

so hes 186 yds short of his 2008 pace 0r 12.4 yards per game

he's 12.4 yards per game down from his high in 2008 but at same TD

rate.

3 yards per quarter is a gareat falloff.

Edited by delaigle

10 TD's with less than a thousand yards! And still one more game to go! Not bad for a poor player having a shyte season, lolcatz!

Not this argument again.....MT 33 is on the cusp he cant burst much at all and is slow and hesitant however he has his moments and 10 TD'S is pretty darn good considering.

His cap hit is 8 million or thereabouts next season and he aint worth that. BUT I bet a shiny sixpence he will absolutely muller it in the play offs. Run through brick walls Michael!

As for Mud Duck - he too has four games left and he'd die for us. His experience is his best weapon along side some true grit and passion.

Timing is the most important thing if you read between Mr Walsh's lines and you could argue Smitty's loyalty has drained every last cents worth form both these guys...14-2 with a may prove his patience and faith is rewarded hugely. When those meetings come both parties will hurt but both will be very thankful!

I didn't say for it to happen now. It should have happened before the season started. Or in Turner's case during the season when it became clear he couldn't cut it anymore.

werent you screaming the other day YARDS ARE MEANINGLESS when in regards of AP MVP ..

yet Turner yards mean more ?

which is it ?

Turner has 10 tds on season...so how is he hurting team?

I never said yards in and of themself are meaningless. I said yards that doesn't eventually lead to touchdowns (points) are useless. There is a difference. If AP rushes for 80 yards on a drive but doesn't get the touchdown that doesn't make his yards useless because he helped his team score.

McClure is not as bad as made out by arm chair GM's on this board. I am still waiting for some gif's which show McClure being worse than Konz on all 22 on a consistent basis. I agree MT carries should have been reduced but it was more expensive to cut him this year than to let him play. Our old OC and DC should have been shown the door last year though.

Turner 2008 376 carries 1699 yds 17 TDs

so far in 2012 he has 216 carries(57%) for 782yards 9 TDs but 1 more game to go.

IF he were at his 2008 pace he would have (.57x1699) 968 yards and (.57x17) 9 TDs

so hes 186 yds short of his 2008 pace 0r 12.4 yards per game

he's 12.4 yards per game down from his high in 2008 but at same TD

rate.

3 yards per quarter is a gareat falloff.

So you're saying he's only averaging 12 yards less per game than he did in 2008 when calculated to the same amount of carries? How can that be when he averaged 4.5 yards per carry in 2008 and is averaging only 3.6 yards per carry this season?

I think they will be. Interior offensive line is going to be a big priority. I think Konz and Hawley battle it out for Center, and we sign a big-name OG in free agency or draft one on Day Two to play the RG spot.

As for Turner, I'll be stunned if we don't cut him and move on to a free agent / Round 2 - 5 running back to split carries with Quizz.

We should be ok unless GR can't come back. Get in a FA to compete with GR in the off season and let the best man win.

McClure is not as bad as made out by arm chair GM's on this board. I am still waiting for some gif's which show McClure being worse than Konz on all 22 on a consistent basis. I agree MT carries should have been reduced but it was more expensive to cut him this year than to let him play. Our old OC and DC should have been shown the door last year though.

McClure isn't worst than Konz. Anyone that says that isn't watching the games. But McClure showed great signs of decline last season and should have been send packing.

McClure isn't worst than Konz. Anyone that says that isn't watching the games. But McClure showed great signs of decline last season and should have been send packing.

Who will replace him?McClure for what is worth has allowed least sacks and Hits among OL not named Garret Reynolds. MudDcuk also has responsibility in identify the defense pre snap along with Ryan. Konz got some good experience and will most probably move to Center next year. it takes time to develop the OL and teams don't give up on them after they develop.