Old Falcons Artifacts That I Have...

MikeR

I just wanted to share with you a couple of old Falcons stuff I've had for about 30 years now. I got these brand new and am really surprised I still have them.

I got these shaded pencil drawings. They are of Jeff Van Note, William Andrews, Steve Bartkowski, Buddy Curry and Wallace Francis. They are copyrighted 1981 by the Shell Oil Company.

jsj7s8.jpg

"William Andrews blazes towards open fields."

2qk8k2c.jpg

"Wallace Francis maneuvers for additional yardage."

2mo10kh.jpg

"Steve Bartkowski is poised and ready to strike."

1o0xw2.jpg

"Buddy Curry Springs into action at the snap."

smrps2.jpg

"Jeff Van Note checks for blitzing linebackers."

Has anyone ever seen these? I thought I'd share.

You guys have some inteesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. I've picked up a few things over the years that one day I'll get around to taking pix of and sharing here. Got a a complete 1988 playbook playbook. Just a couple of names on the roster Miller, Settle, Riggs and Luckhurst. Got a bunch of stuff out of Suwannee just days before it was demolished including a phone with logo and Falcon Inn and Conference Center on it and some other stuff. Walked all over that place picking up things left behind.

You guys have some inteesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. I've picked up a few things over the years that one day I'll get around to taking pix of and sharing here. Got a a complete 1988 playbook playbook. Just a couple of names on the roster Miller, Settle, Riggs and Luckhurst. Got a bunch of stuff out of Suwannee just days before it was demolished including a phone with logo and Falcon Inn and Conference Center on it and some other stuff. Walked all over that place picking up things left behind.

Dang, I would have loved to have done that as well. The old Falcon Inn was always the landmark we looked for on our many trips down to ATL from NC back in the day. Sad to think that it's not there anymore.

Man I love the old stuff used to have tons of cards etc but my favorite was a 1977 signed Falcons Team Ball. It was at my parents house for years unfortunately found it in the garage battered and grass stained were one of my nephews had decided to play football with it. Oh well.

It was interesting and kinda sad to say the least. I was sent by employer to remove some equipment we owned. I was the only one on that entire property that day. Practice fields had grown over with weeds. Buildings had most of windows broken. Furniture and desks were just left behind some of it on ground outside from being thrown through windows. Came to foind out that Falcons had given local police department swat teams permission to use the property for training and boy did they wreck it. But I did find many items just laying around. when the Falcons moved out to Flowery branch they left the furniture and old insignificant items behind. Was a little eery at times.

Thanks to a friend at work I have the First Game at GA Dome Program and Commemerative Pin but nothing signed from any of the old guys.

I have a game ball awarded to my dad, who was instrumental in getting the Falcon complex in Suwanee. It is signed by Leeman Bennett. I also have two small glasses with the Falcon logo that was given out by Shell stations with a fillup. In addtion I have a framed ticket stub I got from the falcon's first playoff game.

Here is a picture of my Falcons helmet that I received from Santa at Christmas of 1980. The helmet manufacture date is 8/1980. With it, I propped up a picture that was taken of me (I blotted out my sister) on Christmas morning wearing the same helmet (kept it all these years). Notice I'm wearing my also brand new for Christmas #84 jersey!!!!

Roddy White back then? You know not.

I've been searching and searching for a Jenkins jersey but sadly can not find one.

Hope you enjoy....

mjbazk.jpg

My brother had the same helmet (now in my nephew's possession). Cool stuff MikeR, I dig seeing the old stuff.

Thanks, man. I'm glad that I have these items still. Especially still having the helmet (complete with chinstrap) and having the picture of me wearing it the day I got it.

Question though. The helmet is stamped with "MEETS NOC-SAE." Does this mean it was approved for actual use? What does it mean?

Thanks, man. I'm glad that I have these items still. Especially still having the helmet (complete with chinstrap) and having the picture of me wearing it the day I got it.

Question though. The helmet is stamped with "MEETS NOC-SAE." Does this mean it was approved for actual use? What does it mean?

National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment. Yeah, back in the day those suspension helmets were pretty much the standard equipment, so I could imagine it being okay for use in Pop Warner fb.

so I could imagine it being okay for use in Pop Warner fb.

That's what I was figuring. The same year (1980) I got my helmet, my next door neighbor ( a couple of years younger than I) got the Dallas Cowboys version as he was a huge Cowboy fan. We used to get out in the yards nearly every day and play each other with his Dad being all-time QB. I had my Jenkins jersey and he wore his Dorsett one.

Fun times for sure.

• 4 months later...

I recently acquired from a private collector probably the "holy grail" to my collection: a game used helmet from the 1966 first season worn by back up QB Dennis Clairidge (tossed the first TD pass albeit preseason). This is the only helmet I've ever been able to find that can be pin pointed to the first season. THRILLED to death that the fella sold it to me.

Love the patina and battle scars that this helmet has.

67870i_lg_zpsb897c62e.jpeg?t=1368019945

67870c_lg_zps298062f0.jpeg?t=1368019948

67870b_lg_zps1aff41c0.jpeg?t=1368019942

67870a_lg_zps47491514.jpeg?t=1368019940