1998 Falcons - The Best Overall Team Atl Has Ever Had

zmitcham

I was in Bosnia when I predicted that my team was going to the SB. Everyone thought that I was nuts. They laughed me to scorn.

I hope that we can get back to the excitement that this team brought to the ATL.

Seems as though everyone is in the cross your fingers mode and lack confidence in the substance of our current team.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then what's your point? The topic of the thread is "1998 Falcons - The Best Overall Team Atl Has Ever Had"

If the best overall team this city ever had was one who showed up to the biggest game in the world just happy to be there and grossly unprepared to play, then that is quite a sad history for this city.

Personally, I'll just stick with the 1995 World Champion Braves, thank-you-very-much. You can keep your silly bird dance thing.

If you want to be proud of the way that team made a collective *ss out of itself and the entire state of Georgia on the national stage, be my guest.

Myself, I'm just happy we have a legit franchise now.

A team does not 1 or 2 men make. That was the best overall team that we ever had. And by the way everyone of us that served during that period from GA stuck our chests out a bit bigger when the team accomplished what they did.

Edited by zmitcham

I loved the 98 team. Coop makes a good point about the team coming a little unhinged the week of the Super Bowl.

Ray Buchanan with the whole "Shannon Sharpe looks like a horse" bit. Dan Reeves unnecessarily tearing scabs off old wounds with Shanahan.

And then of course Eugene finishing off any karma that remained.

It was too bad.

I still love that team though.

I was in Bosnia when I predicted that my team was going to the SB. Everyone thought that I was nuts. They laughed me to scorn.

I hope that we can get back to the excitement that this team brought to the ATL.

Seems as though everyone is in the cross your fingers mode and lack confidence in the substance of our current team.

better DL, LBs, and RB on the '98 team. better QB, secondary, WRs, and TE on the '12 team. hard to judge OLs because Jamal '98 was sooo much better than Turner '12 evaluating the run game is fresh apples to old oranges.

so far, the '98 team has 3 more wins than the '12 team, with the latter still to play the final regular season game. Both get a BYE and host divisional playoff game. '12 team still has a lot on the table before they can be ranked alongside the previous best. but the pieces are in place for a nice run. i really think that 1st playoff game will be key - win that one and this team's confidence is going to grow by leaps and bounds.

There is a big difference between this team and that team. That team was built for one shot. This team is built for the long haul.

The Falcons have some salary cap challenges coming up, but the core is young and signed for several years.

As long as #2 #84 and #11 are wearing Falcons Unis this team will always be a few pieces away from contending.

better DL, LBs, and RB on the '98 team. better QB, secondary, WRs, and TE on the '12 team. hard to judge OLs because Jamal '98 was sooo much better than Turner '12 evaluating the run game is fresh apples to old oranges.

so far, the '98 team has 3 more wins than the '12 team, with the latter still to play the final regular season game. Both get a BYE and host divisional playoff game. '12 team still has a lot on the table before they can be ranked alongside the previous best. but the pieces are in place for a nice run. i really think that 1st playoff game will be key - win that one and this team's confidence is going to grow by leaps and bounds.

Finally! Spoken like a true Falcon Fan. You go Brother. That's what I'm talking about

I'd say the '98 team had better overall individual talent (especially in the trenches), but the '12 team is greater than the sum of its parts.

Give me Smitty and Ryan over Coach Bumpkin and The Dancing Coke Head any day of the week, and definitely twice on Sunday.

In the end, the 98 team was an embarassment to themselfs and the fans.

The 80 team, had a coach who was too conservative to take us the distance.

This team is indeed greater than the sum of its parts.

The last remaining question is if Smitty can Go for the Kill.

I'd say the '98 team had better overall individual talent (especially in the trenches), but the '12 team is greater than the sum of its parts.

Give me Smitty and Ryan over Coach Bumpkin and The Dancing Coke Head any day of the week, and definitely twice on Sunday.

Coach Reeves is a noble man with a GA pedigree. The current coach that we have would agree that he couldn't touch coach reeves with respect to his overall coaching success. He has made 6 Super Bowl appearances 3 in the NFC and 3 in the AFC. He has won 2 SBs 1 in the NFC and 1 AFC. Not to mention over 200 wins. Put down your crack pipe. I'd take him back in a hot GA minute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Reeves