Four Plays That Sold Me On Dirk Koetter

Peyton

I was a big critic of the Koetter hiring. I didn't like hiring a guy that had the worst offense in the NFL last year, just didn't sit well with me.

I've been critical of him this year because of the way he ignored the running game this pre season too.

I still hope the running game rounds into shape, but frankly, he has sold me in spite of that.

I've said many times that the success of his hiring would be determined in the playoffs, and that is still true, but here are 4 examples of why I am convinced he and the Falcons offense is going to get it done in the post season.

Play One - The FK WR screen to Julio, Wheel to Drew Davis

The brilliance in this play is in the setup, not the play design. This isn't a new play. But.

1. He ran it on the 15 yard line. Normally this is a play where you throw the ball way down the field so it's not a play that the defense is going to be leary of.

2. Koetter ran this play on 3rd and 7. In this situation, defensive players are guarding that third down marker and so they were much more inclined to be aggressive when the Falcons showed a screen look.

3. The Falcons ran a whole bunch of WR screens (successfully) in the first 6 weeks but never put this wheel play on film. It's the number one reason it worked so well.

4. They ran this play to Drew Davis, and I can't imagine the Eagles had any clue who he was.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000087010/QB-Ryan-to-WR-Davis-15-yd-pass-TD

Play 2 coming soon.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a nice play. Too bad Ryan almost overthrew it...to a WIDE open receiver. I sweated a little on that one.

actually, the way the play is designed, that's exactly where the pass is supposed to be thrown. Ryan can't assume the WR will be completely uncovered, so the pass has to be thrown where only the WR can make the play. see the TD pass to Julio against DET - same throw.

It sure don't hurt when Ryan is playing as well as he is...

Sometimes we still have those lulls that we had under the Mularkrity, but they don't seem to happen quite as often. Overall, we've been good on 3rd down, but we had that stretch where we couldn't pick one up to save our lives... That's a little bit concerning, but we've really turned it around so hopefully we can keep that up. I think that he has done a very nice job this year, but as said, there is still work to be done.

Edited by SwampyMux12

Play Two - Middle Screen to Jason Snelling

Also from the Eagles game. Here, Koetter abuses Trent Cole, thought before this year to be one of the best Defensive Ends in the NFL.

The Falcons run Davis to the corner and Julio on an out to clear out the middle, that's pretty standard fare.

There are three elements of brilliance in this play.

1. It's a play the Falcons hadn't shown all year.

2. With all the play makers on the Falcons, how the h*ll could the Eagles see a middle screen to Snelling coming.

3. Jason Snelling really sold the idea that he was going to block Cole before he released. If he hadn't, Cole would have smelled it out after Clabo completely ignored him.

Because Snelling sold the block, Cole never saw the screen coming. Clabo was able to get out and put the MLB on the ground, the guy would have been assigned to Snelling.

The result. Snelling walks into the endzone for a ridiculously easy TD.

http://www.nfl.com/v...-yard-touchdown

Play 3 Coming Soon.

Didn't they run that play again in one of the recent games with HD83?

And in an old thread many said that play wasn't capable of working with him.

They ran it against the Giants. I've seen the Broncos use this play a few times too for Stokley with success.

I thought HD actually sold the play better than Davis did. The 2nd defender let Davis roll right by him unchecked, but in the HD play he makes it look like he's running towards the DB in order to block him and then turns it on at the perfect moment.

Edited by JBourneMurkedU

We already had a top 10(5?) scoring offense. I think some take that for granted. If all he did was come in and maintain a top ranking it would've been a job well done. But he's clearly improved some of our weaknesses, especially the use of the short passing game to mask issues with pass protection. Ironicly, we are also a better deep ball offense as well. At the end of the day we are scoring 3 more points/g than last year.

More screens, better route combinations, better playcalling- check, check, check.

The play that has sold me on Koetter the most was the TD pass to Tony Gonzalez in the last Saints game. I think that play was the confidence booster the offense needed. What I liked about the play was that it was one of the few times in the season where you saw Matt Ryan throw the ball to a receiver that is covered. Much like the 08 Chargers game pass to Justin Peele, the tight end was covered pretty well but Matt put the ball where it needed to be. I have always thought that this passing attack is good enough to where you can throw the ball to a receiver that is pretty well covered and still make a play.

Play Three - Fake pitch to Jaquizz, WR screen to Roddy

From the Lions game.

The Falcons really wanted to win this game and clinch HFA, and they brought some special stuff to this one.

The Falcons have been setting this play up all year. They've run Quizz on this little pitch play with an overloaded right side a number of times. It's worked sometimes, specifically for a TD against the Bucs, and it's been garbage a couple of other times, but they've run it plenty of times for the Lions to recognize it was coming when they saw it.

Except obviously, this time was different, they faked the pitch, all the Lions bit on it, and Roddy got one of the easiest WR screen TDs ever.

Props to Baker for getting out and cutting down the DB and Clabo for walling it off, although I thought Clabo probably could have been called for illigal man downfield. He needs to wait a tick longer next time.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000114960/White-39-yard-touchdown

Giants game. Ryan underthrew HD on that pass too. if Ryan hits him in stride that was an easy 6, but nevertheless great play

No he didn't. He threw it in between the Safety playing back and the corner faked out by the fake screen.

There's a possibility he could have thrown it a lil bit further but the Safety had an angle nonetheless. HD would have had to make the Safety miss to get a TD.

Now I may have agreed if you would have said Ryan could have thrown in inside a lil bit. This would have given HD some room to make the Safety miss, but look at the play again. If he would have led him like how you think, then that pass could have been contested by the Safety.

Play Two - Middle Screen to Jason Snelling

Also from the Eagles game. Here, Koetter abuses Trent Cole, thought before this year to be one of the best Defensive Ends in the NFL.

The Falcons run Davis to the corner and Julio on an out to clear out the middle, that's pretty standard fare.

There are three elements of brilliance in this play.

1. It's a play the Falcons hadn't shown all year.

2. With all the play makers on the Falcons, how the h*ll could the Eagles see a middle screen to Snelling coming.

3. Jason Snelling really sold the idea that he was going to block Cole before he released. If he hadn't, Cole would have smelled it out after Clabo completely ignored him.

Because Snelling sold the block, Cole never saw the screen coming. Clabo was able to get out and put the MLB on the ground, the guy would have been assigned to Snelling.

The result. Snelling walks into the endzone for a ridiculously easy TD.

http://www.nfl.com/v...-yard-touchdown

Play 3 Coming Soon.

Ryan completed 9 screen passes on 10 attempts during that Eagles game.

Ryan completed 16 screen passes on 20 attempts during the entire 2011 season.

Can someone explain to me again how the only difference between this year and last year is player execution?

Props to Baker for getting out and cutting down the DB and Clabo for walling it off, although I thought Clabo probably could have been called for illigal man downfield. He needs to wait a tick longer next time.

That doesn't matter since it was thrown at or behind the line of scrimmage right?

Edited by dmite

Play Four - 1 Yard TD Pass to Michael Palmer

Also from the Lions game.

This is my favorite play the Falcons ran all year. The main reason is that it was great design, great execution, and great timing on a play that picked up a ONE yard TD, and if there is one thing this team really needed, it was some plays that can pick up ONE yard when they need it most.

The concept of working a TE the across the back of the offensive line and into the pass pattern is not new, but I haven't seen it much.

I did see the Eagles run a play with Celek a couple of years ago where he worked his way behind the line from left to right then ran a delayed seam route. It worked brilliantly.

That was the first time I saw that concept, but this play was a lot different than that one.

What I really love about this play is that because of the timing and execution this play was absolutely guaranteed to work. It was not going to be stopped if everyone did their job.

Mike Johnson reports eligible and lines up as the TE on the right side. That gives the Lions something to think about because I am sure the Lions know that Johnson has scored on a goal line situation just like this one this year.

Gonzo is the TE on the left and that is critical to the play and Palmer is the second TE on the right side.

At the snap, Gonzo doesn't release right away, he sells the run action, as Ryan fakes to Turner. Palmer moves across the back of the formation at first as if he is going to throw a trap block.

The corner with outside contain is never going to stop this play for two reasons. First is, he is focused on Gonzo when he releases because Gonzo is the best TE in the history of the game and the Falcons love to throw him the ball down there. The second reason is he just never sees Palmer coming across the formation until it's way too late.

Absolutely brilliantly designed, timed, and executed. May favorite play of the season.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000115118/QB-Ryan-to-TE-Palmer-1-yd-pass-TD