Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

#1 pick™

Quarterbacks In The 2013 Nfl Draft

480 posts in this topic

Who is everyone else in the world?

Why should I care what someone else thinks when I completely disagree and they do not give any type of feedback to why they disagree?

Everyone on this board and everyone that follows the draft (guys that actually get paid to do it.)

If you can't see it there is no point in even trying to convince you. You're extremely hard headed and if you can't see the glaring negatives then just because I bring them up you still won't see them.

Everyone on this board and everyone that follows the draft (guys that actually get paid to do it.)

If you can't see it there is no point in even trying to convince you. You're extremely hard headed and if you can't see the glaring negatives then just because I bring them up you still won't see them.

Since when did this board become the messiah of draft talk. Most of you regular guys here are group thinkers, the lack of the original thoughts on here is prevalent. If I want to listen to you guys, I would just watch Kiper for a hour and watch you repeat verbatim.

I am far from hard headed. Far from it. My mocks can change a lot from today to April. Barkley could have a 1st round grade in March. It depends what I see and what I don't see in the film. My view is always much more sounded in March than in December for QB's in the draft.

I told you to mention the negatives and you ain't said s**t. I have a good understanding of the negatives of all these players but in order to have a great understanding, I need to see more film.

Smith is a better prospect than Ryan and it's not even that close.

Ryan and Wilson are close. Ryan being NFL ready and very intelligent while Wilson has extreme talent but is very raw.

I do not see a Newton, RG3, or Luck but those are extremely rare talents. Once in a generation type. Smith and Wilson can get to that level if they reach their potential.

I don't even think Luck is a guaranteed success. He just has amazing talent and tools.

I do not see huge negatives most of my 1st round guys. Wilson to a degree but he has an extremely high ceiling.

Geno is not nearly on the level of Ryan, not even close. This is coming from a WV fan. Geno Smith can be good and is the best QB WV has had in a long time, but I don't see him being on Ryan's level, not at least for a few years. Geno does have impressive stats and has displayed se great games, but I don't think they are comparable at this moment.

Geno is not nearly on the level of Ryan, not even close. This is coming from a WV fan. Geno Smith can be good and is the best QB WV has had in a long time, but I don't see him being on Ryan's level, not at least for a few years. Geno does have impressive stats and has displayed se great games, but I don't think they are comparable at this moment.

If you are talking about Geno right now compared to Ryan, Ryan is better because Ryan is a top 10 NFL QB RIGHT NOW. Geno is a Senior in college. No way is it possible for Geno to be better as a QB than Ryan right now.

Now if we are talking potential out of college. Geno is better in every single way like Bradford was compared to Ryan out of college. He has an inferior OL to Ryan's BC one but produced at a far greater rate. Won bowl games and dominated, won big regular season games, more accuracy, more TD's, better passer, superior mobility in and out of the pocket, just a superior player to Ryan out of college. Ryan had elite Football IQ but he forced a lot and balls always sailed on him at BC. Ryan did get a top 10 grade from me and the only 1st round grade QB in his class. Flacco was a 2nd rounder in terms of grades.

Geno base is Bradford and his ceiling is Brady. He is every bit as talented as Bradford even though they have different strengths and weaknesses. Bradford actually had elite accuracy, Football IQ, and field vision. Smith is only elite at instincts, selection of throws, and footwork. Smith biggest flaw is his lack of willingness to get the first down with his legs like 3rd year Ryan. Bradford's was durability.

Since when did this board become the messiah of draft talk. Most of you regular guys here are group thinkers, the lack of the original thoughts on here is prevalent. If I want to listen to you guys, I would just watch Kiper for a hour and watch you repeat verbatim

I told you to mention the negatives and you ain't said s**t. I have a good understanding of the negatives of all these players but in order to have a great understanding, I need to see more film.

Many of us disagree with Kiper. Many on here are actually pretty knowledgeable. Many ,who like I said get paid to evaluate players, know this class is bad. That includes NFL scouts and people who work for draft websites.

Negatives on Smith:

Footwork, inexperience dropping back from under center, streaky passer, system QB?, 1st read QB, pocket presence.

You love mobile QB's and that's ok just admit it. I would strongly disagree that Smith is a better prospect than Matt Ryan. Ryan wasn't perfect but is far superior to Smith.

Many of us disagree with Kiper. Many on here are actually pretty knowledgeable. Many ,who like I said get paid to evaluate players, know this class is bad. That includes NFL scouts and people who work for draft websites.

Negatives on Smith:

Footwork, inexperience dropping back from under center, streaky passer, system QB?, 1st read QB, pocket presence.

His footwork is top notch. Highest grade I've ever given to a QB in that arena. Saying it is a weakness is like saying Michael Vick has a weak arm.

He played under center his first two years of college.

Isn't every QB streaky?

Don't see it.

He goes though his progressions better than RG3 does right now who is in the NFL.

Pocket presence, really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmbe6cfz_ws

His footwork is top notch. Highest grade I've ever given to a QB in that arena. Saying it is a weakness is like saying Michael Vick has a weak arm.

He played under center his first two years of college.

Isn't every QB streaky?

Don't see it.

He goes though his progressions better than RG3 does right now who is in the NFL.

Pocket presence, really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmbe6cfz_ws

that's your opinion.

If he played under college his first two years why is his footwork so bad? Why is he so awkward in his drops?

There is streaky and then there is the type of streaky he has. Where if he is off the whole team is. Alot like Cam in that way.

I disagree although RG3 also didn't go through progressions too much in college.

Yeah really. Go watch his game vs Texas and come back to me. That's just one example but you can watch all of his games and see the same weaknesses.

Posting a Todd Mcshay video is hilarious considering he is widely regarded as the least knowledgeable draft guy.

something else interesting "his mental toughness has been questioned as he appeared uncontrollably discouraged on the sideline and had little answers for Kansas State's good, but far from great defense." http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664302

Do you even know what footwork means? It doesn't mean rushing skills. And of course you post a video of Kiper, dude has been wrong on so many occasions.

Kennesaw is right, he is streaky, he abuses good teams, but has looked questionable against decent defenses. His footwork is a problem, he has never been under center so how can he develop footwork if he doesn't take 3 or 5 step drops. He needs to work on that badly, far from top notch. Do you even know what you're saying?

Another few knocks are that maybe he's a system QB, his mechnics need major improvement since he rarely, if ever is under center. He likes to lock on to his first option, and stares them down at times. He has a tendency to throw the ball at the receivers instead of leading them. He also needs to improve on his deep ball accuracy and needs to add weight.

Just to name a few #1

Kennesaw77 likes this

that's your opinion.

If he played under college his first two years why is his footwork so bad? Why is he so awkward in his drops?

There is streaky and then there is the type of streaky he has. Where if he is off the whole team is. Alot like Cam in that way.

I disagree although RG3 also didn't go through progressions too much in college.

Yeah really. Go watch his game vs Texas and come back to me. That's just one example but you can watch all of his games and see the same weaknesses.

Posting a Todd Mcshay video is hilarious considering he is widely regarded as the least knowledgeable draft guy.

I posted the wrong video. I meant to post the one where Geno met McShay.

Cam is inconsistent. That's not streaky. Geno is not inconsistent. Every game he showed prime passing skills or at least flashes.

That's why I had Cam as developing QB and Geno as pro ready. Geno is pro ready.

His drops can be inconsistent at times, that's normal watching QB's on in the Air Raid, the one thing I didn't like was he would get to happy to make a read. I would like to see patience like a Tom Brady or Matt Ryan.

RG3 went through progressions but not to the degree of Smith. Now comparing it to Bradford, Bradford was very good at progressions. Luck was elite at it. That's extremely rare.

I watched the Texas game, most of his 1st reads were the right read. That's not being an one read QB, that's having great instincts. Watch Tom Brady for example.

There is a difference between drawing fouls like Michael Jordan and drawing fouls like Corey Maggette. There is a difference between one read like Tom Brady and one read like Tim Tebow.

He has weaknesses but what you are bickering about isn't it.

Every game he showed prime passing skills or at least flashes.

He has weaknesses but what you are bickering about isn't it.

Show me a video where he went to his second or third read?

Texas Tech, Kansas St are two examples of poor games by him. He was completely off.

Ok so instead of legitimately finding evidence against what I'm saying you're just dismissing what I said.

Geno doesn't go through any drops at all, are you serious? He has a quick read and usually that's a short read, if it's more than 15 yards he struggles with accuracy. He can force the ball as well when going with his first read, and rarely does he have to go through his options since he plays high school defenses and the system he's in provides him with a quick read. He's not even comparable to Ryan because Ryan was in a pro system, Geno is not. He's in a pistol/spread where all he has to do is catch the snap and go to his read. He does have decent arm strength and has shown to display toughness while in the pocket, but he doesn't do what pro style QBs do, he is a system QB with good arm strength and decent accuracy. He doesn't do well with pressure as he often throws off his back foot when faced with a pass rush. I have watched this kid grow and develop, and I can tell you have no idea what you're talking about. It seems to me you just like quarter backs who are mobile and put up good stats. Admit it. You have an agenda.

Kennesaw77 likes this

Show me a video where he went to his second or third read?

Texas Tech, Kansas St are two examples of poor games by him. He was completely off.

Ok so instead of legitimately finding evidence against what I'm saying you're just dismissing what I said.

I can see me and you agree, but you're right #1 pick just ignores the facts and goes with the fact that he can run and has good stats. I am willing to put my name on the line and state that I believe he is throwing something else into the equations. He likes Vick, Smith, Cam, and I'm even willing to bet he liked Vince Young when he was coming out.
Kennesaw77 likes this

Do you even know what footwork means? It doesn't mean rushing skills. And of course you post a video of Kiper, dude has been wrong on so many occasions.

Kennesaw is right, he is streaky, he abuses good teams, but has looked questionable against decent defenses. His footwork is a problem, he has never been under center so how can he develop footwork if he doesn't take 3 or 5 step drops. He needs to work on that badly, far from top notch. Do you even know what you're saying?

Another few knocks are that maybe he's a system QB, his mechnics need major improvement since he rarely, if ever is under center. He likes to lock on to his first option, and stares them down at times. He has a tendency to throw the ball at the receivers instead of leading them. He also needs to improve on his deep ball accuracy and needs to add weight.

Just to name a few #1

Footwork is quickness in the pocket, eluding the rush with your feet, and escaping pressure with just the feel of the rush. Tom Brady has the best footwork in the NFL. Second is Michael Vick but he has horrible pocket awareness. 3rd is Peyton, 4th is Rodgers, and 5th is Luck.

Geno has a weak OL, scat WR's and limited running game. It does play a part as well but from the film, he has make plays time and time again. Where he has to improve which you can see in the OU and TT game is his WR's on breaks and improve on out route throws. Some of his limitations were due to his personnel. His OL was out of their league and Geno didn't try to run like players like RG3 who have had bad OL's. To say he is questionable v. good defenses isn't a surprise. What QB in college is better v. the best when the best knew you are the reason their team wins. Luck? No. RG3? No. Peyton? No. Even Newton struggled to a degree. Some of your criticisms are unjust.

Seriously, do you just say that Geno doesn't throw his WR's open? A-town, stop it, this is getting out of hand. You are just saying s**t hoping it sticks.

His deep ball accuracy is very good. Not elite. He does have pinpoint accuracy which you need at the NFL level. I do not even think you guys know what system QB means. System QB means he is limited outside of a certain system. Like Tebow is limited in the pro style. Brees is limited to a degree in pro style. Graham Harrell doesn't have the tools to be a successful starting pro style QB. If Geno played in the pro style his first two years and put up better numbers than Ryan at BC, why are you even making stupid statements?

Footwork is quickness in the pocket, eluding the rush with your feet, and escaping pressure with just the feel of the rush. Tom Brady has the best footwork in the NFL. Second is Michael Vick but he has horrible pocket awareness. 3rd is Peyton, 4th is Rodgers, and 5th is Luck.

Geno has a weak OL, scat WR's and limited running game. It does play a part as well but from the film, he has make plays time and time again. Where he has to improve which you can see in the OU and TT game is his WR's on breaks and improve on out route throws. Some of his limitations were due to his personnel. His OL was out of their league and Geno didn't try to run like players like RG3 who have had bad OL's. To say he is questionable v. good defenses isn't a surprise. What QB in college is better v. the best when the best knew you are the reason their team wins. Luck? No. RG3? No. Peyton? No. Even Newton struggled to a degree. Some of your criticisms are unjust.

Seriously, do you just say that Geno doesn't throw his WR's open? A-town, stop it, this is getting out of hand. You are just saying s**t hoping it sticks.

His deep ball accuracy is very good. Not elite. He does have pinpoint accuracy which you need at the NFL level. I do not even think you guys know what system QB means. System QB means he is limited outside of a certain system. Like Tebow is limited in the pro style. Brees is limited to a degree in pro style. Graham Harrell doesn't have the tools to be a successful starting pro style QB. If Geno played in the pro style his first two years and put up better numbers than Ryan at BC, why are you even making stupid statements?

Footwork also includes a QB's drops as well and how their feet are when they throw.

System QB is a QB that plays in a system that doesn't share many similarities with a pro style offense and masks that QB's weaknesses.

He didn't play in a traditional pro style in the first two years.

That third clips wasn't a great throw.

A highlight tape? You do realize a highlight tape could make almost any player look good right?

Those WR's that you say are terrible are far from it. Tavon Austin is seen as one of the best WR's in the whole draft. Bailey is likely to be drafted whenever he comes out.

No INT's the 4th QT this year. Near perfect QB rating. His Jr year 4th QT QB rating was top notch. When I leave my job. I will post what I have on my PC. Not the vids but gifs.

That third clips wasn't a great throw.

A highlight tape? You do realize a highlight tape could make almost any player look good right?

Those WR's that you say are terrible are far from it. Tavon Austin is seen as one of the best WR's in the whole draft. Bailey is likely to be drafted whenever he comes out.

3rd clip was an excellent throw. Example: Ryan to Julio v. Carolina. Do not sugarcoat. What you meant to say was it wasn't a good read which is true. Never said the WR's are terrible. I called them scat WR's. small, short, agility type WR's. Tavon is a tough one for me to grade. I love his overall talent, I am not sold on him as a WR. I like Bailey more than a lot of WR's in this draft and this is the deepest WR draft in some time.

Footwork also includes a QB's drops as well and how their feet are when they throw.

System QB is a QB that plays in a system that doesn't share many similarities with a pro style offense and masks that QB's weaknesses.

He didn't play in a traditional pro style in the first two years.

If you generally have great pocket mobility, it's a lock that you will have great drops. They go hand and hand. Look at DD drops, in college, he rarely made them, the NFL he is good at them. Look at RG3. You are overthinking this by a mile.

System QB is what I said it was.

He did and played it his Jr and Sr year in HS. You are doing too much right now.

You're mixing up footwork and pocket presence and awareness. He can elude defenders, but footwork is mainly dealing with how he drops and sets his feet, or steps up into the pocket. Footwork plays a lot into how well a ball is delivered, hence why throwing a ball off your back foot is not good for the ball delivery. His footwork is a major concern, his pocket awareness is not.

You need to learn some of this. Don't try to explain this to me, I coach football, and scout, you're just trying to pull these terms and meanings out of your ***.

Okay Geno has a weak OL, sure, but it doesn't matter when you play against teams that aren't noted for their pass rush. His WRs are very good, he has two great options which will be drafted early on.

Re-read what I said, I said he has a problem leading them on, and at times throws to where they are, not where they are going to be. Oh wow one clip, cool I can show a clip of me making a pass like that, doesn't mean I am a pro QB. Plus his WR that you think is just a "scat" WR, if that's even a term, just beat double coverage.

I'm pretty positive I know what system QB means, and Geno is one of them, if you don't understand why then please look it up because you have no idea what you're saying. He can develop into a pro passer, but now he is a SYSTEM QB in a SPREAD system, not a pro system, he bases his throws off of his 1st read, and quick routes, and occasionally he will throw to his 2nd option. He stares down his first read because that's what he is used to doing, going right to his first option.

He does not have pinpoint accuracy, sorry. His accuracy is improving, but not pinpoint. Sorry.

Kennesaw77 likes this

I can see me and you agree, but you're right #1 pick just ignores the facts and goes with the fact that he can run and has good stats. I am willing to put my name on the line and state that I believe he is throwing something else into the equations. He likes Vick, Smith, Cam, and I'm even willing to bet he liked Vince Young when he was coming out.

Ingores what facts, where is the facts you are talking about. You haven't said anything but give your opinion like 77. Where are these facts? I am the only ponying up facts. I like a lot of QB's, this seems to be an attack on me for something you can't justify. Whatever kiddo.

If you generally have great pocket mobility, it's a lock that you will have great drops. They go hand and hand. Look at DD drops, in college, he rarely made them, the NFL he is good at them. Look at RG3. You are overthinking this by a mile.

System QB is what I said it was.

He did and played it his Jr and Sr year in HS. You are doing too much right now.

Vince Young was terrible with footwork and he had great elusiveness. You fail yet again.

Ingores what facts, where is the facts you are talking about. You haven't said anything but give your opinion like 77. Where are these facts? I am the only ponying up facts. I like a lot of QB's, this seems to be an attack on me for something you can't justify. Whatever kiddo.

The fact that you don't even know what footwork means explains it all. You have no clue what you're talking about. I explained his negatives and you disregard them and make up your own terms. You have much to learn. You must be new at scouting.
Kennesaw77 and vitaman like this

No INT's the 4th QT this year. Near perfect QB rating. His Jr year 4th QT QB rating was top notch.

Look at the defenses he played:

Marshall: 102nd in total defense

James Madison: not FBS

Maryland: 20th in total defense

Baylor: 119th in total defense

Texas: 75th in total defense

Texas Tech: 56th in total defense

Kansas St.: 43nd in total D

TCU: 18th in total D

Oklahoma St.: 82nd in total D

Oklahoma: 44th in total D

Iowa St: 98th in total D

Kansas: 113th in total D

Average of: 70th

That's not true at all. A QB's footwork is infinitely different than just because he can run. You still haven't shown me any snaps he took from under center.

Link on he played in a pro style in HS (not that it matters just curious) HS means nothing.