Why The Falcons Defend The Dome And What It Takes To Win It All

Ergo Proxy

Atlanta's biggest challenge boils down to themselves in order to make the Super Bowl run it wants to.

All that is left is the mental side of the game. One game at a time, which is really just the mentality needed to win. Needed to beat whatever the opponent may be any given Sunday.

The Falcons have the talent for one. The foundation of several years now is in place, and the new coordinators this year have done a superb job at most effectively & efficiently using the Falcons the way they are built.

Atlanta is no longer self-limiting. Out thought or simply getting out-coached/adjusted. Limitations all too obvious in past years. Inconsistent, uncertain. Words that fit the past Falcons of this era.

Atlanta knows it can win at home. The NFC is the better conference, this year, and Atlanta has the best record. They play as good at home as anyone. Other teams will get up coming here on that fact alone.

For the Falcons, it's all a mental hurdle, which is what the New Orleans and NY Giants game in the Dome this year was like as far as 'personal' wins for the team collectively.

Consistently, the defense has played well at home this year. Atlanta knows it has a 12th man in it's corner and most that were here in 2010 on the team remember how humiliating it was to lose to the Packers on their own field. This year the Falcons are built a lot like that.

The difference in this area was hinted at when Roddy was quoted talking about previously wanting to 'avoid' certain teams and being overly concerned over what other teams did well in past seasons. <---That says it all.

It is completely down now to ONE psychological hurdle left to go: Executing in the playoffs.

Atlanta now is focused on what 'it' can do instead. The Falcons have only so much as to find the simple 'want it more' factor than the other guy does in order to outplay another high-caliber opponent. You can't worry about outplaying the other guy during the game, as it plays you. You simply have to go get it.

Just Defend the Dome. Avenge the past. Better yet? Forget the past. Whatever it takes to beat the competition.

Because now, you are the top dog for real and all it takes is managing self to outplay any team that dares take the field in that Dome. Everyone THINKS they can walk in here like the Packers did and beat the 2010 Falcons.

Punch them right in the mouth. Atlanta is not that team anymore. Last year was a struggle, adjustments have further been made and the Falcons are primed.

Defend the Dome. Rise up Atlanta. Rise up Falcons!

PS: Beat the Bucs in the Dome Sunday, too! biggrin.png

Edited by slimjim

Good post. It emulates how the team feels and how we should feel pretty well. There was a time when this team played scared. Even in close losses or wins this year , I never saw fear. I saw complacency once. That was a game that woke us up and unleashed the beast. Sometimes even the best need reminding on the way to the top. Its our year. I have never felt more confident then I have this year. Make it so #1. (Falcons)

Atlanta seems to just now be starting to peak. They haven't hit their ceiling yet.

Yessir. I've been having that same feeling. They do show signs of Atlanta of the recent past, especially on defense, but I see this year as a big step in the right direction.

Good post.

That was a good post. HERE!!! HERE!!!

I believe the Thursday night win against the Aints was the big hurdle the Falcons soared over. Over the past few years we seemed to crumble on the biggest stages with the largest audiences...but all that changed on Thursday Night Football. Provided we don't have an ice storm and some other atypical factor, this team should bring the NFC Championship game to the Dome. They are good enough and the 12th man is good enough for them to represent the NFC. GO FALCONS!

The Falcons proved a lot to me and to a lot of other people when they curb-stomped the defending Super Bowl champ Giants a couple of weeks ago. Instead of strolling in and giving the Falcons their customary beatdown, the great Eli Manning and crew couldn't even put a point on the board. The Giant braintrust couldn't come up with anything in their playbook to make a first down on fourth-and-short three times in the game. The vaunted Giant front four couldn't stop Ryan and his weapons from going nuclear on them to the tune of 34 points. This was the game the Dirty Birds shocked the world, even if the national media pundits had their heads too far up their own azz to see it. There was a shift in The Force and things aren't the same as they were in 2008, 2010 or 2011. Teams coming in to the Georgia Dome this play-off season are going to get the same large order of pain the Giants got, then we're all going to witness a Dirty Bird Coronation Ceremony in the Super Dome.

SuperBowlorDeath-1.jpg

Edited by PokerSteve

I'll tell you what. All the 'past' talk the media and nation seems to be all about recently as being the Falcons 'legit or not' actually is a good reason why Atlanta is primed for a postseason run.

Atlanta has actually learned from the past and made changes. They have grown and are one tough out now.

Atlanta has never won with defense alone in a superbly dominant fashion, but this year has shown just that in the biggest games we've played at home. Also, the offense in transition made it's adjustments and is flying red hot into the playoffs.

I say it again: I dare any team to take the field vs. the Falcons and think it might be ANYTHING like 2010 here. Falcons can win in any sort of game now.

Bring it, Falcons.

This has nothing to do with the topic but I just thought it was interesting. If the hail mary call had been called correctly in the Packers/Seahawks game many things would be different this Sunday. The Falcons would not have the #1 seed clinched yet because the Packers would still have a chance to get it. The Niners would have the NFC West and #3 seed clinched. The Seahawks wouldn't have a playoff spot clinched yet. Just thought it was interesting how that 1 call changed the fates of 4 teams for the last week of the season.

Packers are the biggest straight up match for the Falcons, in which Atlanta is the better team this year. I think Atlanta is more built to beat them than say the Seahawks, to be perfectly honest.

However, Atlanta is capable of beating anyone in the NFL right now. That's the way I see it. Plus? We got the Dome. Now, it's just time to execute.

Bring on the Packers. Bring on the Seahawks. I don't care who really.

Good post. The biggest difference are our coordinators. Both Nolan and Koetter bring a toughness that is part of their units' personality. Particularly koetter--yeah I said this on purpose. Under MM Ryan was almost scared to throw a risky pass after making a mistake. Under Koetter, its like you have "5 ints, go for it kid!" That helps a QB

Good post. The biggest difference are our coordinators. Both Nolan and Koetter bring a toughness that is part of their units' personality. Particularly koetter--yeah I said this on purpose. Under MM Ryan was almost scared to throw a risky pass after making a mistake. Under Koetter, its like you have "5 ints, go for it kid!" That helps a QB

That's actually pretty funny.

Matt went from 'game manager' QB offense to the offense goes through him period. Make it happen.

He brought him back to his College and 08' self MM tried to make Matt something he's not. Matt in college was not afraid and did t play like he was afraid. Koetter came in and encouraged Matt to be himself. He gave him back his bravado.

Atlanta's biggest challenge boils down to themselves in order to make the Super Bowl run it wants to.

All that is left is the mental side of the game. One game at a time, which is really just the mentality needed to win. Needed to beat whatever the opponent may be any given Sunday.

The Falcons have the talent for one. The foundation of several years now is in place, and the new coordinators this year have done a superb job at most effectively & efficiently using the Falcons the way they are built.

Atlanta is no longer self-limiting. Out thought or simply getting out-coached/adjusted. Limitations all too obvious in past years. Inconsistent, uncertain. Words that fit the past Falcons of this era.

Atlanta knows it can win at home. The NFC is the better conference, this year, and Atlanta has the best record. They play as good at home as anyone. Other teams will get up coming here on that fact alone.

For the Falcons, it's all a mental hurdle, which is what the New Orleans and NY Giants game in the Dome this year was like as far as 'personal' wins for the team collectively.

Consistently, the defense has played well at home this year. Atlanta knows it has a 12th man in it's corner and most that were here in 2010 on the team remember how humiliating it was to lose to the Packers on their own field. This year the Falcons are built a lot like that.

The difference in this area was hinted at when Roddy was quoted talking about previously wanting to 'avoid' certain teams and being overly concerned over what other teams did well in past seasons. <---That says it all.

It is completely down now to ONE psychological hurdle left to go: Executing in the playoffs.

Atlanta now is focused on what 'it' can do instead. The Falcons have only so much as to find the simple 'want it more' factor than the other guy does in order to outplay another high-caliber opponent. You can't worry about outplaying the other guy during the game, as it plays you. You simply have to go get it.

Just Defend the Dome. Avenge the past. Better yet? Forget the past. Whatever it takes to beat the competition.

Because now, you are the top dog for real and all it takes is managing self to outplay any team that dares take the field in that Dome. Everyone THINKS they can walk in here like the Packers did and beat the 2010 Falcons.

Punch them right in the mouth. Atlanta is not that team anymore. Last year was a struggle, adjustments have further been made and the Falcons are primed.

Defend the Dome. Rise up Atlanta. Rise up Falcons!

PS: Beat the Bucs in the Dome Sunday, too! biggrin.png

Could not agree more. Atlanta needs to FOCUS on every play, play physical EVERY play and stay intense! I really believe they can do it--just as you say, it's mental resolve to refuse defeat, and execution.

The Falcons proved a lot to me and to a lot of other people when they curb-stomped the defending Super Bowl champ Giants a couple of weeks ago. Instead of strolling in and giving the Falcons their customary beatdown, the great Eli Manning and crew couldn't even put a point on the board. The Giant braintrust couldn't come up with anything in their playbook to make a first down on fourth-and-short three times in the game. The vaunted Giant front four couldn't stop Ryan and his weapons from going nuclear on them to the tune of 34 points. This was the game the Dirty Birds shocked the world, even if the national media pundits had their heads too far up their own azz to see it. There was a shift in The Force and things aren't the same as they were in 2008, 2010 or 2011. Teams coming in to the Georgia Dome this play-off season are going to get the same large order of pain the Giants got, then we're all going to witness a Dirty Bird Coronation Ceremony in the Super Dome.

Coughllin tried to channel his inner Smitty. He failed because only Smitty is Smitty. And Smitty has moved onward.