Vitt "bahhh Humbug"

Trouble

Christmas in the NFL is different. It's a line of work that is so heavily concentrated during the regular season that coaches, players, team personnel and even media do things a little differently.

"I'm not waiting for anyone with a white beard to come down the chimney and hand us the divisional championship," Saints interim head coach Joe Vitt said on Tuesday via the Associated Press. "We'll try to get our coaches out of here tonight a bit early to have some dinner with their family and then spend (Christmas) morning. But listen, we're getting ready for a game."

For players, it's perfect that Christmas came on a Tuesday this year. (That's their normal day off.) For coaches and so many others, though, this is a work day.

"When you get into this business, you say to yourself, 'You're not going to enjoy Thanksgiving. You're not going to enjoy Christmas. You're working through those things.' So I'll look forward to Easter in the springtime and, I guess, Arbor Day. That's the nature of our business."

Working on and around the holidays is a small tradeoff for having a job you love. We're sure Vitt agrees.

From all of us at Around the League, we hope you are enjoying a great Christmas. Go back to your family now. And start getting ready for Arbor Day.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000116860/article/joe-vitt-a-grinch-youre-not-going-to-enjoy-christmas

Vitt did a great job giving the hand he was delt when he came back. Didnt have much reason to fight and yet they have fought till the end. Cant take nothing away from Vitt there.

HE HELD THINGS TOGETHER WELL. IT COULD HAVE BEEN

BAD ... REAL BAD. A GOOD JOB OF COACHING.

ya know

Saints Nation Probably wish it had been real bad

a top 5 Draft Choice with what they already have, would have been Trouble for every NFC Team in 2013

Not really. Every Saint fan I know, and I know a lot of em, celebrates every single win.

They really do want to finish with the best record they can this year in spite of the early chaos.

Its that gulf coast "yea, so we got a beatdown, but you left bloody too" mentality..

In fact, I never really had ever heard of fans of any team wanting losses for the possibility of a better draft pick.

During the season when Vick and Petrino left, didnt the Falcons intentionally finish strong, even though it put them at a later pick.

Granted, there are teams and fans that give up, but I never think it has much to do with draft positioning.

I dont think teams or fans really think that way when they still have games on schedule

Play to win.....every game.

Anything less and it's a clear sign of a loser mentality.

I agree 100%.

ANYONE who roots for their team to lose for a better pick needs to have their fan card taken away.

If you have a game scheduled you want to win. And asa fan I want to see us win EVERY game.

It pisses me off when we lose no matter the circumstance ( pre season aside... those games I just want to stay healthy)

But even this week when we have NOTHING... and I mean NOTHING to play for I want us to smack the bucs until they beg us to call them susan!

Well, actually as bad as all of them had been including the panthers the Falcons have the most winning seasons at 14.

Winning seasons:

Falcons 14

Rankin/Taylor Smith owned Falcons - 6 winning seasons (1966-2001)

Arthur Blank owned Falcons - 8 winning seasons (2002-2012)

I think it's safe to say that ownership was a major problem in the past.

Under Mr. Blank's ownership we have had only 2 losing seasons 7-9 and 4-12(Vick, Quitrino)

Even the most devout RC haters have to admit Blank has turned this franchise around.

RANKIN SMITH WANTED TO WIN AS OWNER, BUT HE JUST DIDN'T

KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT IT. HE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE

MEANING OF "SURROUNDING YOURSELF WITH FOOTBALL PEOPLE

IN THE FRONT OFFICE." FROM THE GM DOWN TO THE MAIL CLERK ....

GOT TO BE FOOTBALL PEOPLE. RANKIN'S SON TAYLOR SMITH,

HE INHERITED THE TEAM, IT WAS NO MORE THAN A PLAY THING

FOR HIM.

RANKIN SMITH WANTED TO WIN AS OWNER, BUT HE JUST DIDN'T

KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT IT. HE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE

MEANING OF "SURROUNDING YOURSELF WITH FOOTBALL PEOPLE

IN THE FRONT OFFICE." FROM THE GM DOWN TO THE MAIL CLERK ....

GOT TO BE FOOTBALL PEOPLE. RANKIN'S SON TAYLOR SMITH,

HE INHERITED THE TEAM, IT WAS NO MORE THAN A PLAY THING

FOR HIM.

Different era of football. Falcons where a small franchise. The big franchises controlled all the endorsements and made a ton of money so they could afford to go buy/pay a probowl team. FA`s and salary cap rules made it a little more fair for small franchises to compete with the Goliath teams. Also the NFL monitoring sponcers help prevent teams from signing players on the cheap and have 3rd party brands (like Nike) deals pay them. To avoid salary cap manipulation.

But even as much as things change you can probably find cowboys gear in every state. You can probably find Steelers gear in almost every state. But you will be hard pressed to find, brows, cards, seahawks, falcons, cincy etc etc gear. So even to this day Big franchises still have a impact.

Under Mr. Blank's ownership we have had only 2 losing seasons 7-9 and 4-12(Vick, Quitrino)

Even the most devout RC haters have to admit Blank has turned this franchise around.

Show the ring. Nothing else matters.