Bill Walsh

Falconsfan567

For Christmas I was given a book called 'Bill Walsh The Score Takes Care Of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership'. So I've read a few pages of it. Then took a break and wanted to look of Bill Walsh's coaching tree and discovered that Mike Smith can be traced all the way back to Bill Walsh. Smith is a product of Brian Billick who's a product of Dennis Green who was a product of Bill Walsh.

32 current or former head coaches can trace their roots all the way back to Walsh.

791px-Bill_Walsh_Coaching_Treesvg.png

For Christmas I was given a book called 'Bill Walsh The Score Takes Care Of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership'. So I've read a few pages of it. Then took a break and wanted to look of Bill Walsh's coaching tree and discovered that Mike Smith can be traced all the way back to Bill Walsh. Smith is a product of Brian Billick who's a product of Dennis Green who was a product of Bill Walsh.

32 current or former head coaches can trace their roots all the way back to Walsh.

791px-Bill_Walsh_Coaching_Treesvg.png

That's almost 15% of every HC starting from the late 80's til today. You could also add Ken Wisenhunt from Mike Tomlin, Leslie Frazier from Brad Childress and Jim Caldwell from Tony Dungy.

Edited by 4dabirds

Not so sure about Paul Brown in regards to Bill Walsh.

If I recall correctly Walsh and Brown had different philosophies

towards the game and butted heads.

Walsh broke off from Brown with the opprotunity to be HC in San Fran.

With the 49ers he was able to impliment his ideas of the West Coast Offense.

If I am correct on this, the above illustrated Tree is 100% correct in that

Brown was not Walshes mentor nor did Walsh follow Brown's Coaching

philosophies.

Not so sure about Paul Brown in regards to Bill Walsh.

If I recall correctly Walsh and Brown had different philosophies

towards the game and butted heads.

Walsh broke off from Brown with the opprotunity to be HC in San Fran.

With the 49ers he was able to impliment his ideas of the West Coast Offense.

If I am correct on this, the above illustrated Tree is 100% correct in that

Brown was not Walshes mentor nor did Walsh follow Brown's Coaching

philosophies.

The West Coast offense started in Cincinnati out of necessity when their strong arm QB was injured. Just because Walsh and Brown had their disagreements doesn't mean Walsh was any less part of his coaching tree.

The West Coast offense started in Cincinnati out of necessity when their strong arm QB was injured. Just because Walsh and Brown had their disagreements doesn't mean Walsh was any less part of his coaching tree.

My point was towards Philosophies, and that Walsh made a clean break from Brown

to create his offense, which became a whole new Offensive system that Brown was not a part of.

Hence the Walsh coaching tree.

Some branches need to be trimmed on that tree. I like Bill Walsh, and what he did for the game speaks for itself. However, doing it like this, you get into we all come from Adam/Eve argument. Walsh goes back to Sid Gillman's tree but not the WCO necessarily.

Along with the 3 already mentioned, (Wisenhunt, Caldwell, Frazier) what keeps me from adding Nolan, Singeltary, Raheem Morris, Dennis Allen, Marvin Lewis, R. Rivera, J. Schwarz, and others.

They have Jeff Fisher as apart of the tree, and he comes from Buddy Ryan. Tony Dungy is associated with Chuck Knoll. At some point, everybody's paths cross in this league.

Those early West Coast/Stanford guys like Green, Holmgreen, Mariucci, Hackett, of course, but then it gets a little hazy. Too many coordinators working for this guy at some point can tie him back to this guy, etc.

Edited by jeffro2000