What A Bs Call...hitting A Defenseless Receiver

Theyhateme : )

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

Grrrr I missed it. Good thing I have nfl rewind.

Now I just need to convince my boss that I an looking at important work related stuff

Guest Fibonacci/Mashburn

thanks.

this is some crap. The way goodell (or whoever is stating to protect players like crazy) is costing games. Refs honestly have no idea anymore what is a good or bad call.

just curious, but why do the refs not get fined when they make a bad call? why do they not get fined when it cost a game?

- ^^^^ I wish they would start to do something like this. I think it would take out a lot of crap of games being in favor of who the refs like.

I thought this was a BS call, too. So, I looked up the rule. I think the reason that the flag was thrown was because the WR had (this is where the rule gets stupid) caught the ball but not yet established himself as a runner.

Don't the current rules determine that the act of catching the ball involve establishing oneself as a runner?!?

I think that the current Rules Committee should include player representation. I would have pushed hard for that during the lockout. Those that don't play the game make up some of the dumbest rules that those that DO play the game have a very hard time following.

I thought this was a BS call, too. So, I looked up the rule. I think the reason that the flag was thrown was because the WR had (this is where the rule gets stupid) caught the ball but not yet established himself as a runner.

Don't the current rules determine that the act of catching the ball involve establishing oneself as a runner?!?

I think that the current Rules Committee should include player representation. I would have pushed hard for that during the lockout. Those that don't play the game make up some of the dumbest rules that those that DO play the game have a very hard time following.

But even still it wasn't a helmet-to-helmet hit. As far as the rule as I know it, defenseless receiver only applies to getting hit in the head.

Actually he didn't launch himself. His feet never came off the ground. It was no where near like the hit Chris Hope laid on Victor Cruz that was the right call.

At full speed it appears as though he launched himself (which is the same speed the refs see the game at). After watching the replay, you're right that he never left the ground. Stupid rule, questionable call. This problem needs fixed.

This problem can't be fixed as the above posts show.

What will be telling is if the defender gets fined or not. <--that's a point to consider.

Defenseless receiver now a days involves a WR that gets hit without a catchable ball either giving themselves up over the middle, for example. Termed; vicious, violent hits.

...yet, that was the only play that guy could have made in the clip. It was a sideline pass that was a catch and run. The hit was good football play but not NFL 'safety' play. Hard to balance, especially real-time.

Realistically, he quite possibly(I say as much as 50/50) may have given up a TD instead by NOT hitting him. What...stop after getting there to defend full speed and THEN stop the now moving train that now has forward progress and just has to out-muscle you for the TD?

If you had the rules installed into a robot, cut out emotion, there is still the judgement call too. Emotional calls happen in the game as well. He was there to hit him and separate him from the ball...but he's being asked to allow the catch.

Something HARD to get a defender not to do that took everything they had to be in that exact position to make the play in the first-place.