Smittyball

Supes™

About 4 weeks ago, I coined the term, "Smittyball" on these here boards. I referenced it in terms of how well disciplined a team the Falcons are under coach Smith, as being the least penalized team in the NFL, by far. It's not very sexy, and that's why it's not as appreciated as it should be by Falcon's fans in general. But the easiest way to beat yourself is to accumulate a lot of penalties. The fact that you don't never makes the highlight reel.

Anyway, when I coined the term, some unsatisfied fans immediately spun "Smittyball" to mean some form of ultra-conservative, unimaginative and plodding form of football. I wanna know what those fans have to say now about Smittyball tonight. Bring it!

Not to detract from your many contributions to the forums; however, "Smittyball" was coined at least several years ago. While I don't agree that the stated definition is an accurate description of football under Smith, traditionally Smittyball HAS meant the ultra-conservative, play-not-to-lose football that you just described.

Like I said, I don't agree with that definition; but the fact remains that there are plenty of people (primarily, but not only, over at the Falcons Roost forums) who do and have been using it for years.

Not to detract from your many contributions to the forums; however, "Smittyball" was coined at least several years ago. While I don't agree that the stated definition is an accurate description of football under Smith, traditionally Smittyball HAS meant the ultra-conservative, play-not-to-lose football that you just described.

Like I said, I don't agree with that definition; but the fact remains that there are plenty of people (primarily, but not only, over at the Falcons Roost forums) who do and have been using it for years.

Thanks for the heads-up. laugh.png

Smittyball to me will always stand for passive, unimaginative, grind-it-out, sit-on-a-lead, predictable, vanilla, staid, pacifist, mind-numbing, dull football. Not something to be proud of, certainly not something to use as your core offensive philosophy. Smittyball might win a lot of regular season games in a league mired in the mediocrity of self-enforced parity, but it is not something you're going to ever see winning any Super Bowl trophies now or in the future.

Smittyball to me will always stand for passive, unimaginative, grind-it-out, sit-on-a-lead, predictable, vanilla, staid, pacifist, mind-numbing, dull football. Not something to be proud of, certainly not something to use as your core offensive philosophy. Smittyball might win a lot of regular season games in a league mired in the mediocrity of self-enforced parity, but it is not something you're going to ever see winning any Super Bowl trophies now or in the future.

You're so full of it, you crusty old faaaarrrrrrrt! laugh.png

Smitty Ball = Winning Ball!

This has been without a doubt the finest era of Falcon Football. I have been a fan since they awarded the team in 65...... the only team I have EVER been a fan of, and this is by far the best, most well coached team in the history of the falcons........and to paraphrase a person I dont agree with often.....Trust Me!

Smitty Ball = Winning Ball!

This has been without a doubt the finest era of Falcon Football. I have been a fan since they awarded the team in 65...... the only team I have EVER been a fan of, and this is by far the best, most well coached team in the history of the falcons........and to paraphrase a person I dont agree with often.....Trust Me!

I've been around that long too, doc. I was 14 years old when Atlanta got the franchise and I agree with everything you say. Totally and absolutely the finest!

I wanna know what those fans have to say now about Smittyball tonight. Bring it!

I will say this.

Smittyball is whole bunches better than Martyball, in spite of the bone headed plays.

Smitty did Sweep the AFC West and the NFC East.

A couple of Gold Plated Brooms if ya ask me.

How long before the Networks start saying Smittyball?

Save the link to this topic wink.png

O ye of little faith. You live in the past, can't imagine the future.

Fasten your seat belts and hold on tight.

I'm just hoping that Smitty gets abducted by aliens and Koetter and Nolan have complete, unfettered control of the game plan and in-game situation management in the play-offs. Then we should be on like Donkey Kong for a Lombardi Trophy. tongue.png