Why I'm Worried About Yesterda'y's Performance

netrto4150

Yesterday was another one of our typical games that we've played the whole season: Score early, fade away in the 3rd and somehow come back in the fourth.

"So what" you may say?

Well in the playoff's we're not going to be playing teams under 500!

1) We have a huge problem with our OL and it was clearly exposed by Konz.

2) We have screen plays that even fooled our own offense as OL players were running behind the ball carriers.

3) We couldn't run the ball.

4) Blitzing and man coverage stalled back to back drives.

Any team we face in the post season will be building their game around these weaknesses and we won't have the momentum on our side but instead two weeks off!

Also we'll most likely be playing an offense built around a scrambling QB! And we just don't have the pass rush or blitzes to handle this!

I'm trying to be optimistic but nothing of yesterday's performance gave me hope that we're not going to be one and done!

We just don't have that balanced offense and without the OL giving Matt the time our Receivers become useless!

I really want to believe........ I'm hoping (I know) there are more knowledgeable folks on this board that can reassure me?

Rise Up!

Yesterday was another one of our typical games that we've played the whole season: Score early, fade away in the 3rd and somehow come back in the fourth.

"So what" you may say?

2) We have screen plays that even fooled our own offense as OL players were running behind the ball carriers.

Any team we face in the post season will be building their game around these weaknesses and we won't have the momentum on our side but instead two weeks off!

Also we'll most likely be playing an offense built around a scrambling QB! And we just don't have the pass rush or blitzes to handle this!

I'm trying to be optimistic but nothing of yesterday's performance gave me hope that we're not going to be one and done!

We just don't have that balanced offense and without the OL giving Matt the time our Receivers become useless!

I really want to believe........ I'm hoping (I know) there are more knowledgeable folks on this board that can reassure me?

Rise Up!

We beat them by more than Green Bay or San Francisco, and didn't lose to the like Seattle.,

3rd Qtr melt down happened in like 2 games or so in the whole season. Mike Nolan and DK are very good in half time adjustments. Falcons are the only team among the playoff contenders to beat Lions by more than a score.

That's a valid point!

But like I said we're not gonna play the like of the lions in the playoffs! The teams we're playing also beat the lions and they know what are weaknesses are!

How do we get over being one dimensional?

That's a valid point!

But like I said we're not gonna play the like of the lions in the playoffs! The teams we're playing also beat the lions and they know what are weaknesses are!

So ... You are saying those other teams either don't have weaknesses we can exploit or they are somehow hidden? Please name the complete team with no weaknesses out there ...

That's a valid point!

Falcons don't need 100 yards from Turner as long as he can get those 3rd and 1 or 2nd and short conversions. falcons have more problems when they try to force the run game too much. Screens and draw plays are good enough to keep the defense honest.

"So what" you may say?

Rise Up!

Here is what I see. The past four years the Falcons have played well and have played mediocre.

The Falcons will play well one week and then the next week, they play like a team who has just learned the playbook. It does seem obvious to me that this team cannot adapt to playing styles week to week.

It is like the Falcons have one style of play and they try to play the same style each week. To be successful against different team’s styles, you must adjust to each team individual. Mike Smith doesn’t seem to be able to adapt. Smith is a great regular season coach (sometimes) but when it really counts, Smith falls flat on his face. When it comes to playing teams over 500, this coach is a bust. I am hoping MN and DK can get past MS conservative play calling. And don’t even get me started on the safety play!

Here is what I see. The past four years the Falcons have played well and have played mediocre.

The Falcons will play well one week and then the next week, they play like a team who has just learned the playbook. It does seem obvious to me that this team cannot adapt to playing styles week to week.

It is like the Falcons have one style of play and they try to play the same style each week. To be successful against different team’s styles, you must adjust to each team individual. Mike Smith doesn’t seem to be able to adapt. Smith is a great regular season coach (sometimes) but when it really counts, Smith falls flat on his face. When it comes to playing teams over 500, this coach is a bust. I am hoping MN and DK can get past MS conservative play calling. And don’t even get me started on the safety play!

... You don't like our safeties???

Some folks on here must either never watch any other NFL games each week or simply don't understand how the NFL is different from CFB.

1) There is not a single team in the league that plays their best every week. Not one. That Patriots team that all the pundits were declaring "favorites to win the Super Bowl" 10 days ago were down 31-3 at home. But, you say, that was to the 49ers. Yes, the same San Fran team that is 0-1-1 vs the mighty Rams this season. Fans expecting blowouts and perfection every week should just stick to college or high school, where talent gaps allow for weekly mismatches.

2) Double-digit road wins are a good thing. The opponent doesn't matter. To win by 13 a week after what was definitely an emotional high - crushing the defending champs by 34 and shutting them out for the first time in 16 years - is an accomplishment that championship-level teams would take every time.

3) The NFL ain't MLB. There aren't 162 games, with ebbs and flows, with players able to go on a 'streak'. There are only 16 games - win, lose, or tie. It's about winning that week, by any means necessary. 13 wins through 15 games is superb.

4) Unlike previous years, the Falcons coordinators this season have shown that a)they can make adjustments to improve performance, and b)they know how to gameplan for the elite opponents. Regardless of which NFC East teams reach the playoffs, the Falcons will enter the postseason being undefeated against playoff-bound teams.

Clinching HFA with a game still left to play is a HUGE achievement and worthy of at least one day of not trying to nitpick 13pt road wins.

"So what" you may say?

Rise Up!

That's a valid point!

See the key point in the game is when the Lions had all the momentum then Ryan and the o-line managed to go on that 11 play drive and effectively crushed there hearts.

My whole point here is that we were able sieze momentum back on the road and in a hostile enviroment I mean Megatron was going off the crowd were going mental but to me if we were a 6 speed car I think we still had 2 gears in hand if I'm honest.

No one panicked they just get it done against a very good Lions front 7.

Not being able to run well I think this is a misnoma we have a very effective short passing and screen game and while some went for not much the threat is always there I never thought we didn't have anywhere to go here,personally I think we do enough in the run and short passing game to get it done.

Don't listen to what the media say they only watch snipets and highlight reels.

The Falcons didn't stall. Mike Smith ran the offense into the ditch yet again in the third quarter with his pacifist, moronic, grind-the-clock, do-nothing offense. He should know better by now, but I guess as long as he keeps getting away with it, thanks in large part to Ryan pulling the fat out of the fire with last-minute scoring drives, he'll keep trying to sit on leads. Nothing could be any dumber than letting a team you're curb-stomping get back into the game. Nothing. It's so incredibly stupid I don't know why a coach would even consider this, much less make it an every-dam-game practice. C'mon, man. Stop it before you cost your team a shot at a Super Bowl.

We are 4-0 against the teams we played which were over 500 this year.

Broncos (1-0)

Chargers (2-0)

Bucs (6-4)

Giants (8-5)

In the past 3 years, we are 13-5 against teams we played which were over 500. That's 72.2%