Walter Football Mock

Nope . First of all we need to sign a free agent O lineman. Drafted O linemen take time to develop and we have a couple of young ones I'm not quite ready to give up on. We need to draft a DE with our first pick. A fire breathing DE can come in and play right away. We can draft for the O line in lower rounds. Next we need to dragft a decent RB, we are woefully hurting there with Turner and Jaquizz. That leaves plenty of room to draft for other needs such as TE,LB etc.

Nope . First of all we need to sign a free agent O lineman. Drafted O linemen take time to develop and we have a couple of young ones I'm not quite ready to give up on. We need to draft a DE with our first pick. A fire breathing DE can come in and play right away. We can draft for the O line in lower rounds. Next we need to dragft a decent RB, we are woefully hurting there with Turner and Jaquizz. That leaves plenty of room to draft for other needs such as TE,LB etc.

I disagree. The only FA lineman we need to sign is Sam Baker (who has been our best lineman this year now that he's healthy and he won't break the bank. No need to start over at left tackle).

I think if we drafted someone like Patrick Warmack in the first, he'd start from day one and be fine. Move Konz to center when McClure rides off into the sunset (which should be after this season - he ain't what he used to be, sadly) and the interior of the line should be in decent shape. As far as the young linemen we've got, I haven't seen anything to indicate that the coaches think that guys like Hawley and Johnson are anything but depth. If they liked Hawley, they'd have started him over the rookie when Reynolds went down.

I agree that we need to get a DE, but we'll be picking so low in the first round that we're not likely to get the kind of dominant edge rusher that we'd want unless it was a 3-4 OLB like Ware (which is possible, but we'd have to do some realigning of our personnel). We can, however, get a mammoth defensive tackle in the second or even third who will soak up blocks and free up players to get after the QB a bit more. Not a perfect solution, but we need that DT anyways to help in the running game, so might as well get him now.

We definitely need a running back - not sure when we'd get one, though. Maybe in the third? Another option would be to pursue Chris Johnson in FA (I'm assuming the Titans will release him rather than pay that gigantic bonus he's due and that they can't really afford). If he's not too terribly expensive (and he may well be, in which case I'd probably pass and build through the draft), he'd give the offense the element they're missing and free up a draft pick.

If we can shore up the lines, I think the rest will almost take care of itself. Ryan's a surgeon when he has time and if we can stiffen up the run defense, that gives our defense an edge. We could spend the rest of the draft getting a new TE and depth at linebacker and wide receiver/kick returner.