Pat Y On Why Matt Ryan Should Be Mvp

jdawg4876

DETROIT -- Quite unintentionally, the Atlanta Falcons made the strongest case yet for Matt Ryan's Most Valuable Player award candidacy Saturday night.

Ryan did his part by completing 25 of 32 passes for 279 yards and four touchdowns in a 31-18 victory against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field.

But this isn’t a story about numbers. It’s a story about how Ryan is the dominant force for the first team in the NFL to win 13 games this season.

That was obvious from the start as the Falcons put the game in Ryan’s hands early, and Atlanta seemed on the way to a blowout. It became even more obvious in the fourth quarter when the Falcons put the game back in Ryan’s hands and made sure they clinched home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

“They’re not talking about him, but he’s my MVP,’’ Atlanta linebacker Sean Weatherspoon said. “Who’s playing better than him? In my mind, nobody. I’d definitely vote for him.’’

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson are getting all the attention when it comes to MVP talk. But maybe Weatherspoon has a point.

Why not Ryan for MVP?

For the moment, he’s the best player on the only team to win 13 games this season, and isn't it all about winning? He tied Steve Bartkowski’s franchise record for touchdown passes in a season (31) and he’s at or on his way to career highs in every statistical category.

But, again, this isn’t about numbers. It’s about how valuable Ryan is to the Falcons, who, once and for all, need to realize they aren’t the same old Falcons. And coach Mike Smith and offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter need to realize they should stop even attempting to be anything close to the same old Falcons.

Let’s be honest. Running back Michael Turner has had a wonderful run with Atlanta, but his days as the backbone of the offense are long gone. The Falcons are a pass-first team now, and Smith and Koetter need to lose the stubborn streak that’s prompting them to force a running game that just isn’t there anymore.

They almost learned that the hard way against the Lions.

After Ryan played a nearly flawless first half (15 of 16 for 184 yards and three touchdowns) and led Atlanta to a 21-6 halftime lead, the Falcons took the ball out of Ryan’s hands in the third quarter.

They got conservative and tried to force feed Turner at the start of the third quarter. That got them nowhere, and it almost got them into deep trouble. The Lions followed a three-and-out by Atlanta with a touchdown. Early in the fourth quarter, a Detroit field goal cut the lead to 21-16 and all the momentum seemed to shift to the Lions at a time when Calvin Johnson was chasing (and, eventually, breaking) Jerry Rice's record for receiving yards in a season.

But that’s when the Falcons put the game back into Ryan’s hands and he made his case for MVP. On a drive that featured only two runs by Turner, Ryan led the Falcons on an 11-play, 77-yard drive that was capped by a touchdown pass to backup tight end Michael Palmer.

“Matt made some big time throws on that drive,’’ Smith said. “That’s what he’s been doing all season.’’

The people who vote for MVP should look long and hard at that drive, and so should Smith and Koetter. Ryan is the reason the Falcons are 13-2.

“There’s a lot of politics that come along with being MVP and things like that,’’ said Atlanta receiver Roddy White, who caught Ryan’s first two touchdown passes and finished with eight catches for 153 yards. “But the guy has been here five years and he’s won a lot of games. Come on. He’s won 13 already this year and put us into this position going into the playoffs. And his numbers are up there with everybody else’s. I don’t see anybody else out there that’s better than him.’’

Neither do I. But White’s got a point about the politics. Brady and Manning have won Super Bowls. Ryan hasn’t even won a playoff game. The reality is Brady or Manning or Peterson, who’s putting up huge rushing numbers, probably will win the MVP this season, no matter what Ryan does.

But there’s a way Ryan can get more heavily involved in the conversation in the future. There also is a way for Smith to stop everyone from talking about what he and Ryan have yet to do.

That would be to go out and win a playoff game.

“This is a different team from last year or two or three years ago,’’ White said. “Our players are more mature. I think we’re ready to go.’’

They’ll only be ready and they’ll only be a different team in the postseason if Smith and Koetter grasp the fact that they’re not going to get anywhere with the running game. They need to grasp the fact that this team can only go a long way if it’s riding Ryan’s arm.

The Falcons can win in the playoffs, maybe even the Super Bowl, if they just let Ryan go out and play like an MVP.

Guest Negatorris

After Ryan played a nearly flawless first half (15 of 16 for 184 yards and three touchdowns) and led Atlanta to a 21-6 halftime lead, the Falcons took the ball out of Ryan’s hands in the third quarter.

They got conservative and tried to force feed Turner at the start of the third quarter. That got them nowhere, and it almost got them into deep trouble. The Lions followed a three-and-out by Atlanta with a touchdown. Early in the fourth quarter, a Detroit field goal cut the lead to 21-16 and all the momentum seemed to shift to the Lions at a time when Calvin Johnson was chasing (and, eventually, breaking) Jerry Rice's record for receiving yards in a season.

Smitty and Koetter need to see this.

Just turrible. Stop giving that dude the ball unless he's averaging over 4 yards per carry. Trying to force the running game will get you nowhere, especially with Turner. At least give Quizz an equal amount of carries..

Heck, yes.

I'd even venture to say, if Atlanta were to get stuffed in short-yardage in the playoffs on important downs, I'd blame the play-calling.

However, you simply can't completely abandon the run. No matter how good the guy's article is, it's his bid for MVP write up. Atlanta ran the ball 36% of the plays called tonight, minus Ryan's 2 credited rush attempts.

To start the 3rd Quarter, the first run was for 4 yards and Atlanta BECAME too conservative playing the 'run it again and see if they stop you this time' approach.

So, it's not so much running as it is the timing of those calls.

Notice the TD to White on 3rd and short? Completely sold the Lions by having Cox/Turner in the backfield.

Play-action(the entire front of the Lions took the bait on the run fake), pump left; safety moved, TD White opposite side.

Atlanta is the BEST team at the Play-action in the NFL for a reason: It's their foundation. Their bread 'n butter of past seasons.

They are not built like the other teams that just sling it deep all game.

HOWEVER, tonight and the Giants game showed how to help your pass protection: Get the OL mobile early in the game on some nice designed runs AND more specifically the screen/fake take then pass to set up a catch and go on the other side. ETC.

Got Detroit playing hesitant due to the angles Atlanta challenged successfully, which made them a bit less able to pin their ears back and simply rush and defend the pass lanes/get pressure.(speaking of their front 4, and front 7/8 at times)

I think we can win a Super Bowl with Turner and Quizz in a tandem. Formula seems to be working pretty well if you ask me. We'll figure out how to handle the Turner situation after we claim this title.

....meanwhile, abandoning the running game, isn't an option.

I like the fact that our QB is getting some mention of MVP.

I love the fact that he has higher aspirations than personal achievements.

Hold on tight Falcons' fans the fun has only just begun.

......and you know these Falcons....they almost never make it easy on the heart.

If you turn everything in the room off.....you can hear Saints' fans begin to squirm.

I had the perfect call for the game on fIrst down at the beginning of the second half, and it would have worked. Play action to turner up the gut, Matt throws a bomb to Julio for touchdown 4. It would have worked, their safeties got all sucked up on the turner run, meaning they were all expecting run anyway. Oh well...

I think we can win a Super Bowl with Turner and Quizz in a tandem. Formula seems to be working pretty well if you ask me. We'll figure out how to handle the Turner situation after we claim this title.

....meanwhile, abandoning the running game, isn't an option.

I like the fact that our QB is getting some mention of MVP.

I love the fact that he has higher aspirations than personal achievements.

Hold on tight Falcons' fans the fun has only just begun.

......and you know these Falcons....they almost never make it easy on the heart.

If you turn everything in the room off.....you can hear Saints' fans begin to squirm.

Great post. I went back and looked at the 2005 SB Champ Steelere, which was Jerome Bettis' last year. He only had 390 yds or so and 9 TDs for 3.3 ypc! The steelers also used Vernon Hayes for another 100 carries or so, ans Parker led them with 1200 yds.

The reason I brought this team up was the very young Big Ben was QB. Obviously a lot less potent QB (at that time) than Ryan. Anyway in the Steelers last 6 regular games they only broke a 100 yds rushing 2 times, Bigben wnt from 100 yd passing games to averaging 250 yds a game. Guess what the Steelerskept the threat of the run alive despite it not producing yds. That helps a QB--any QB.

And that insistence on the run helped them in playoffs. Same when the Pack won recently (James Starks) , Giants ( Bradshaw/Jacobs), the saints ( their gaggle of runners)....sometimes I think guys like Turner and Bettis--power runners on downward spiral--intimidated defenses more on their past performances; but, regardless it works. You line them up. Defenses respect it. Your QB does its thing. Plus I'd rate White, Jones and Gonzalez better than any of the receiving corps on those teams except maybe the Packers (that's close).

Another positive is quiz simply runs hard he may only get 3 yds byt he gets forward momentum.

It'd be great to have a bit stouter OG or OC and a more explosive back than Turner, but like you said its adequate for our needs.

Couple that with an opportunistic defense, which reminds me a whole lot of the Saints SB team we have the right ingredients

Our running game matches statistically better than 2010 Packers

Smitty and Koetter need to see this.

Just turrible. Stop giving that dude the ball unless he's averaging over 4 yards per carry. Trying to force the running game will get you nowhere, especially with Turner. At least give Quizz an equal amount of carries..

I was just about to quote that part myself. Why the coaches can't see this, or just refuse to acknowledge it is beyond me.

We've been going into the playoffs figured out year in and year out, I think we come out firing our first game, another thing that keeps crossing my mind is the way we ran the ball with Turner when Mike Cox was with him, I think we're gonna come out on whom ever we play and pound the rock, I hate to be one of those people but turner seems to be holding back, almost like hes jogging then ill see a GOOD run when hes running as fast as he can.

I wish PY would STFU about the running game. The Falcons must at least occassionally call running plays. We saw what the Lions DL did to our OL and Ryan when we called too many passing plays in a row in the 3rd quarter. The offense couldn't move the ball for a couple of drives. The drive that got the offense going again started with a good run by Turner. Sorry but there is absolutely nothing wrong with still giving Turner 10-15 carries.

PY is talking like this is Madden and that we should pass every play. Hello. Look at the freaking Lions. The Lions should tell you everything you need to know about why passing on every play isn't a good idea. Stafford has set the NFL record for passing attempts in a season and the Lions are 4-11. The Falcons are 13-2. So Koetter and Smitty must be doing something right.

Great post. I went back and looked at the 2005 SB Champ Steelere, which was Jerome Bettis' last year. He only had 390 yds or so and 9 TDs for 3.3 ypc! The steelers also used Vernon Hayes for another 100 carries or so, ans Parker led them with 1200 yds.

The reason I brought this team up was the very young Big Ben was QB. Obviously a lot less potent QB (at that time) than Ryan. Anyway in the Steelers last 6 regular games they only broke a 100 yds rushing 2 times, Bigben wnt from 100 yd passing games to averaging 250 yds a game. Guess what the Steelerskept the threat of the run alive despite it not producing yds. That helps a QB--any QB.

And that insistence on the run helped them in playoffs. Same when the Pack won recently (James Starks) , Giants ( Bradshaw/Jacobs), the saints ( their gaggle of runners)....sometimes I think guys like Turner and Bettis--power runners on downward spiral--intimidated defenses more on their past performances; but, regardless it works. You line them up. Defenses respect it. Your QB does its thing. Plus I'd rate White, Jones and Gonzalez better than any of the receiving corps on those teams except maybe the Packers (that's close).

Another positive is quiz simply runs hard he may only get 3 yds byt he gets forward momentum.

It'd be great to have a bit stouter OG or OC and a more explosive back than Turner, but like you said its adequate for our needs.

Couple that with an opportunistic defense, which reminds me a whole lot of the Saints SB team we have the right ingredients

Our running game matches statistically better than 2010 Packers

This is a nice comparison, and it points to the myth that all these passing teams just threw their way to super bowls. That's not the case. Toward the end of the season, they began working their running games. The Giants last year showed us this. That was not a good rushing team, but they ran it in the playoffs. Green Bay two years ago did the same thing. Even the Saints, despite Brees getting all the pub, are so much better when they show the threat of the run.

I don't expect us to revert to 1998 with Jamal Anderson, but we must at least have the threat of it. Much of it will be up to Ryan and his checks at the line, ala Peyton Manning. It's not that we have to average 5 ypc or rush for 200 yards. It's that teams have to play it. It slows the pass rush and opens up our playbook.

the Falcons took the ball out of Ryan’s hands in the third quarter.

They got conservative and tried to force feed Turner at the start of the third quarter. That got them nowhere, and it almost got them into deep trouble

what game was PAT Y watching ?

Turner had 2 runs in the 3rd quarter...Jesus his first run went for 4 yards ..2nd and 6 was a running down ..Turner lost yards forced a 3rd and long and incomplete ..Next series Turner didnt touch the ball

Turner had 2 runs in the 3rd quarter...Jesus his first run went for 4 yards ..2nd and 6 was a running down ..Turner lost yards forced a 3rd and long and incomplete ..Next series Turner didnt touch the ball

Apparently the same game the clowns on here were that said we went to Smitty ball in the 3rd quarter when it never happened. We were still chunking it down the field in the 3rd quarter.

This is a nice comparison, and it points to the myth that all these passing teams just threw their way to super bowls. That's not the case. Toward the end of the season, they began working their running games. The Giants last year showed us this. That was not a good rushing team, but they ran it in the playoffs. Green Bay two years ago did the same thing. Even the Saints, despite Brees getting all the pub, are so much better when they show the threat of the run.

I don't expect us to revert to 1998 with Jamal Anderson, but we must at least have the threat of it. Much of it will be up to Ryan and his checks at the line, ala Peyton Manning. It's not that we have to average 5 ypc or rush for 200 yards. It's that teams have to play it. It slows the pass rush and opens up our playbook.

Yeah, in fairness to folks if you just focus on overall stats it would appear many of these teams had anemic running games, when in reality their running game effectively complimented their passing offense. You gotta look at game logs. SAme with the Steelers, look at overall stats and Big Ben only had like 2500 yds and 17 TDs I think, but down the stretch he really came through. Don't think he broke 150 yds passing for first 8 games or so.

The common denominator in all those teams IMO was the flexibility Of their coordinators. BVG and MM we're both adamant about their scheme and not deviating depending on what the other team sent your way. Both Nolan and Koetter evolve and change their schemes with little ego issues. I particularly love how Nolan will go cover 2 all day and then swap to 34 or whatever works.same with Koetter, with Twinkie Turner it'd be easy to bench him. Instead he'll put a FB in, or whatever it takes to make it work. Could you imagine MM throwing deep on a 3rd and 1? No way

"But White’s got a point about the politics. Brady and Manning have won Super Bowls. Ryan hasn’t even won a playoff game."

The MVP is awarded for what you did THIS YEAR for your team, not what you did in PREVIOUS YEARS!!!

“This is a different team from last year or two or three years ago,’’ White said. “Our players are more mature. I think we’re ready to go.’’

There's a lot of differences from previous years. I think that people who are not fans of this team don't realize that we have both a new Offensive and a new Defensive coordinator. This is a HUGE difference! They think we are the same old team as before. Also, Matty is playing with more confidence than I've ever seen him play. And thirdly, he has probably the best wide receiver duo in the league, the best tight end to ever play the game and now they have a running back who’s ridiculously quick!!! Couple that with a defense that gives up yards but is stingy about letting the opposition into the end zone and you have a recipe for success in the playoffs. I believe we are in the midst of a historic season for our Falcons!!!

GO FALCONS!!!

Maybe Pat can get through to them. I doubt they pay him any attention, but this is a pass happy league and the Falcons staff is reluctant to get pass happy. Too many times they want to run the ball at the wrong time. Last night they wanted to throw deep way to many times in the 3rd quarter vs. trying higher percentage passes to pick up yardage/first downs to keep the drive alive.

Was about to post the same thing... If anything we should have run the ball a little more in the 3rd. We seemed to get a little cute trying to throw the deep ball. There was a 3rd and 6 I believe that we threw about 30 yards down the sideline to JJ that went incomplete that I was a little annoyed by, especially when HD was wide open underneath and would have gotten the fist down.

The 3rd quarter was not "Smitty Ball" if anything we were too aggressive IMO. Seems strange to say that....

Anyways that's about the only gripe I have. Great game Falcons! Keep doing it like this and we're all going to be satisfied at the end of the season.

"But White’s got a point about the politics. Brady and Manning have won Super Bowls. Ryan hasn’t even won a playoff game."

The MVP is awarded for what you did THIS YEAR for your team, not what you did in PREVIOUS YEARS!!!

There's a lot of differences from previous years. I think that people who are not fans of this team don't realize that we have both a new Offensive and a new Defensive coordinator. This is a HUGE difference! They think we are the same old team as before. Also, Matty is playing with more confidence than I've ever seen him play. And thirdly, he has probably the best wide receiver duo in the league, the best tight end to ever play the game and now they have a running back who’s ridiculously quick!!! Couple that with a defense that gives up yards but is stingy about letting the opposition into the end zone and you have a recipe for success in the playoffs. I believe we are in the midst of a historic season for our Falcons!!!

GO FALCONS!!!

When Peyton Manning won his first MVP award he was 0-3 in the playoffs. Ryan should get the same respect.