1980 Falcons

smashmouthjoe

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....would beat 2012 and i998 teams hands down. They didn't go to the Super Bowl

but they were elite. 2012 and 1998 teams were very good but not elite.

They don't allow that pass to win that game and they go on to win the SB. They were the best team in the NFL that year.

i wasn't around in 1980 i wasnt born until 1984 but correct me if i'm wrong, wasn't the 1980 team 1 and done against he cowboys in the playoffs?

Yep. But you had to see the team. Dallas beating us was a fluke IMO. A breakdown in the secondary on one play. Madden even said they were the best team he saw that year.

It's hard to compare that squad against the '98 team because they did lose in the divisional round. But that doesn't mean that the team wasn't a special bunch that should've done much more than win one division title. Let's just say that the Eagles were glad to see Dallas come to town than have to come down to AFCS the following week. Bartkowski and the gang would've run Philly off the field had they gotten by Dallas and it was no secret to any of the experts from Madden on down.

How ironic; the Super Bowl that year was held in New Orleans. Our team also had home field back then. Hopefully, the outcome will be different...

Edited by ratesforless

I would put that 1980 Falcons offense up against anybody. Too bad Bennett started playing scared going into the 4th quarter of the NFCD game against the Cowboys.

yeah we had BennettBall decades before we had smittyball

I'll never forget the sick to my stomach feeling watching danny white throw that pass and it getting over the head of a 5' 9" CB

i would like to see a game from the 1980 i have never actually gotten a chance to see that team play

I think Hulu had some highlights there last I checked. Just turn it off when they start talking about the playoff game. It will leave you with a sick feeling in your gut; the same kind of feeling you have after eating a big bowl of chili followed by a pint of rocky road ice cream...

I never got to see the 1980 team play so I can't say. But I have been lucky enough to find a few games from the Steve Bartkowski era and download them. The 1978 playoff win over the Eagles, 1979 win over the Buccaneers and a 1981 home stomping of the Niners. That 1981 game was a thing of beauty to watch. It was the 3rd game of the season (remember Niners won the Super Bowl that year) and the Falcons just ran them out of AFCS. It was 34-10 and the Falcons pulled Bartkowski and put in June Jones.

I remember the 1980 team well, watched every game in AtlFulco or on the tube.

The 2012 team is not better than the 1980 team, I don't care about playoffs, etc. That 1980 team rolled through lots of good teams, won 9 straight, beat a good Bills team in freezing Buffalo, won in Philadelphia, throttled the 49ers, had some incredible comebacks (trailing the Rams with a minute left, Falcons had a 3rd and 38...yep, 3rd and 38...got a chunk of it back, then after that play on 4th and 11 Bart threw a rope to Al Jackson for a TD...awesome win). They had a punishing run game with Andrews and Cain, a quarterback who could put a football in a pickle bucket from 60 yds, the greatest receivers in the league, a fine TE, a phenomenal offensive line and a stout defense that put hurt on people. Maybe it's because we had been so terrible leading up to that magic season, but I just can't say the current team is as good as the Falcons of 1980.

The Dallas playoff game still haunts many of us because we KNOW those Falcons were going to bring the whole cheese home that year. Dammit.

I remember the 80 season like it was yesterday, Bart, Andrews, Cain, Francis, Jenkins, Jackson and Miller were the best offense the Falcons ever had. I'd take Bart over anybody playing today, he had the best deep ball I've ever seen. I'd take that defense of Glanville's over Nolan's in a heart beat.

The Dallas playoff game still haunts many of us because we KNOW those Falcons were going to bring the whole cheese home that year. Dammit.

Yep.

I remember Madden saying that the Falcons against the Patriots was the best team he saw that whole year. I still remember that game myself. We were a machine.

I remember the 1980 team well, watched every game in AtlFulco or on the tube.

The 2012 team is not better than the 1980 team, I don't care about playoffs, etc. That 1980 team rolled through lots of good teams, won 9 straight, beat a good Bills team in freezing Buffalo, won in Philadelphia, throttled the 49ers, had some incredible comebacks (trailing the Rams with a minute left, Falcons had a 3rd and 38...yep, 3rd and 38...got a chunk of it back, then after that play on 4th and 11 Bart threw a rope to Al Jackson for a TD...awesome win). They had a punishing run game with Andrews and Cain, a quarterback who could put a football in a pickle bucket from 60 yds, the greatest receivers in the league, a fine TE, a phenomenal offensive line and a stout defense that put hurt on people. Maybe it's because we had been so terrible leading up to that magic season, but I just can't say the current team is as good as the Falcons of 1980.

The 1980 Falcons were known as a comeback team that year. Bennett would play conservatively in the first half, using battering ram Andrews and shifty Cain to run the ball. If they got behind he would unleash Bartkowski and it was a thing of beauty to watch. Jenkins, "Action" Jackson and Francis were as good as any in the league. Suddenly teams were bombarded with long range missles al over the place. Once they got a lead, Bennett would go back to Andrews and Cain and let his defense hold the lead. That backfired on him in the Dallas game. We had knocked Staubach out of the game and backup Danny White came in. WE had it made. Wrong ! White turned into a mad bomber and threw a miracle TD to Drew Pearson with little time left on the clock. Not to worry. Bart would win it for us as usual. Suddenly 4th and long loomed and when Bart's pass fell incomplete there was a collective gasp from the crowd and then...

silence. The best team in the NFL had fallen to an inferior team.