Pg Mock Draft - 12/22

Retired:

Tony Gonzalez, TE / Todd McClure, C

Released/Let Go:

Michael Turner, RB / Brent Grimes, CB / Lawrence Sidbury, DE / Will Svitek, OT / Mike Peterson, OLB / Luke McCown, QB / Dominique Franks, CB / Chris Hope, SS / Kevin Cone, WR / Michael Palmer, TE / Antone Smith, RB / Peria Jerry, DT

Re-signed:

William Moore, SS [He'll be relatively cheap for his talent and production due to his injuries and the fact that safeties rarely break the bank. Re-signing him is the #1 priority of the early offseason at any rate.]

Sam Baker, LT [short term deal. Holmes probably won't be ready to start next year and we need to see if this year's Baker is a fluke or not.]

Vance Walker, DT

Garrett Reynolds, RG/RT

Robert McClain, CB

Chris Owens, CB

Needs:

NT, RG, DE/OLB, DT/DE, RB, TE, WR depth, CB depth, S depth

Free Agency:

Terrance Knighton, NT, Jaguars [One of the few bright spots on that team, but with a scheme shift he has been marginalized in that defense. He plays the 0-technique very well, which is the type of player our defense is sorely missing, and forces the O-line to send multiple blockers his way. Blitzing lanes for Weatherspoon anyone?]

Dustin Keller, TE, Jets [With no out for the Jets in Sanchez's contract extension I would get the **** out of dodge if I were Keller.]

Draft:

(Projected #30 pick)

4th (comp) - Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State

I couldn't find a good video for him, so sorry about that. He reminds me of Grimes during his rise to prominence: There was an established CB across from him (Johnathan Banks in this case) so teams constantly tried to pick on him, but he proved he was no slouch with six PDs and five INTs, which was growth from 2011 where he had 4 PDs and 1 INT in sporadic game time. He also has good size [6'1" 190 lbs] for a corner.

He's also a pretty good WR. Kill two birds with one stone with this pick.

Depth Chart:

QB: Matt Ryan, Dominique Davis

RB: Mike Gillislee, Jacquizz Rodgers, Jason Snelling

FB: Bradie Ewing

WR: Roddy White, Julio Jones, Harry Douglas, Chad Bumphis, DJ Davis

TE: Dustin Keller, Chase Coffman, Adam Nissley

LT: Sam Baker, Lamar Holmes

LG: Justin Blalock, Mike Johnson

C: Peter Konz, Joe Hawley

RG: Larry Warford, Philipkeith Manley

RT: Tyson Clabo, Garrett Reynolds

RDE: Corey Peters, Joe Vellano

NT: Terrance Knighton, Travian Robertson

LDE: Jonathan Babineaux, Vance Walker

ROLB: John Abraham, Jonathan Massaquoi

RILB: Sean Weatherspoon, Akeem Dent

LILB: Stephen Nicholas, Robert James, Pat Schiller

LOLB: Chase Thomas, Kroy Biermann, Cliff Matthews

CB: Asante Samuel, Dunta Robinson, Robert McClain, Darius Slay, Chris Owens, Rod Sweeting

FS: Thomas DeCoud, Charles Mitchell

SS: William Moore, Rontez Miles

K: Matt Bryant

P: Matt Bosher

LS: Josh Harris

RS: Chad Bumphis

I love the draft, if we could make those exact moves I'd be all for it. As for switching to a 3-4, at this point in time I don't think we should, we do have pieces but if we signed Kninghton it will give us a good DT that stuffs the run and can some what pass rush, he would make our 4-3 much better, but with everything here we can really use the 3-4 hybrid and hide more blitzes and coverages. Good draft I just personally don't like the switch to the 3-4 !

p.s LOVE the signing of Keller as well, I'm one of many that are hoping Tony G stays around another year but if we win the superbowl he for sure wont !

I really like this draft, we didn't get a TE but I love the WR you grabbed for us. I like Joe Vellano as well, he has a lot of versatility.

It probably sounds dumb, but I'm locked in on Gavin Escobar from San Diego State. When you watch him play it's like watching a Gonzalez clone. I doubt he'll declare this year so we'll pick him up in the 2014 draft, so until then we should pick up Keller and adding depth to the trenches and secondary and getting a worthwhile returner.

It probably sounds dumb, but I'm locked in on Gavin Escobar from San Diego State. When you watch him play it's like watching a Gonzalez clone. I doubt he'll declare this year so we'll pick him up in the 2014 draft, so until then we should pick up Keller and adding depth to the trenches and secondary and getting a worthwhile returner.

I see what you're getting at, but if we're holding out for a TE, Jay Rome should be our guy.

I see what you're getting at, but if we're holding out for a TE, Jay Rome should be our guy.

It's not so much that I'm holding out for one, it's just that we have much bigger needs and I think this draft is very important for building up depth in the trenches and secondary since Nolan loves his DBs so much. If they don't bring in Keller or another worthwhile TE out of free agency then they're going to have to draft someone in this draft.

You don't watch the defense much do you?

You don't listen to what coach Smith or Nolan say do you. Smith said we are 4-3 built as a 4-3 and Nolan will keep us a 4-3.

If anything I see us drafting a CB over NT. Nolan has mentioned this many times about having quality DBs and playing the nickle and dime more times than not.

Edited by Ga_spider

so they was a 3-4 team and mike smith was over the defense? don't you think if he ran 3-4 at Jax we would be running it over here

He's 5 years in to running this team. And we are still running a 4-3. So no I don't think we will be a 3-4. Our base will be 4-3 but we will run a 3-4 at times but I don't think we'd ever make it our base defense.

Edited by Ga_spider

He's 5 years in to running this team. And we are still running a 4-3. So no I don't think we will be a 3-4. Our base will be 4-3 but we will run a 3-4 at times but I don't think we'd ever make it our base defense.

If Nolan ever truly gets all the pieces he wants, then "base defense" will become a very meaningless phrase.