Sheldon Richardson Vs Sam Montgomery

vel

I think both have a possibility of being on the board when we are picking. I like Sheldon Richardson a lot more. He is a very physical and violent player, something we are missing on our DLine. His selection would prepare us for the sticky DT situation that we have forthcoming and give our current DEs time to keep developing. Kroy looks like he is heating up now that he is getting consistent starter snaps. He's turning the corner more consistently and forcing the QB to move off his spot. Mass should develop as well and Matthews is showing flashes. But the thing about Sheldon is that he can play LE if need be. He is a lean 6'4 295 with a good first step and very athletic. He can stand up and rush, he can drop. He is a Nolan type player. He's a guy you put on the field and force the offense to stop him. He is a projected mid first rounder, but I think he falls thanks to teams wanting bigger DTs (Star, Hankins, Williams, Jenkins).

Sam Montgomery, on the other hand, is a very traditional 4-3 LE. He is more power than speed. He was highly touted but is falling. He's athletic and strong, but isn't very flexible, something that makes good DEs elite. He can turn the corner, but not really dip under and rip through the tackle. He's more of a 6-8 type guy instead of a double digit guy. But the way we rotate our guys, would that matter? He could develop into a really good player, but not a dominating guy potentially. People say he has an explosive first step, which is true, but they omit that he is often the last guy moving at the snap. Could this be a reason as to why he isn't racking up the sacks? Possibly. But we all know college stats are nothing. JPP had how many sacks at USF compared to his counterpart George Selvie, who was more highly touted entering their last year. We all know what happened next. I think Montgomery has some tools to work with that would make a good pro in the red and black.

So, who would you pick if both were sitting there? I personally would take Richardson as I love his energy, aggression, passion and trash talk mentality. He'd be the DLine version of Spoon and Asante. We don't have that arrogant but back it up mentality on the DLine. I think the more you have that on a defense, the better. As long as it's contained and cultivated and not enabled like Schwartz did in Detroit.

Sam Montgomery has the highest chance of busting out of any "1st Round" DE prospect..he's super stiff at the POA, struggles to stay balanced turning the corner, doesn't have an elite bull rush and doesn't have elite pass rushing moves and also skipped work-outs at LSU.

Richardson is a top 20 pick he won't be there.

The best pick Atlanta could make in the first round is OG, the top 3, Warmack, Cooper, and Warford all have relatively high floors IMO.

I haven't done much research on Montgomery yet, but since you made this topic I was really curious about Richardson, I so far have watched him against Alabama this year South Carolina and vs Georgia, Against Bama was the most intriguing because Bama's interior oline is so dominate. That being said, he held his own, he got a bit of pressure and has a very HIGH motor, was chasing down WR screens and RB screens, I agree that in mike nolan's scheme he would play well, but in the same breath I think he could be a dominate DE in the NFL with some good coaching. The fact he's from Missouri helps his stake since I'm sure William Moore and Sean Weatherspoon will put in a good word for him.

I like Richardson, so for now I'm going to say him, but from what I heard from Mongomery it seems he will have a wicked combine and become a high overall pick and most likely be a bust.

Yeah this is a good year for us to find a solid pass rusher. Moore, Werner, Montogomery, Jordan, Okafor, Ansah. We are bound to get one of them, on average about 3 or 4 defensive ends get taken in the first so I hope someone drops. Same with Guards, we should get a beasts since usually 1 or two guards get taken in the first two rounds.

Sam Montgomery has the highest chance of busting out of any "1st Round" DE prospect..he's super stiff at the POA, struggles to stay balanced turning the corner, doesn't have an elite bull rush and doesn't have elite pass rushing moves and also skipped work-outs at LSU.

Richardson is a top 20 pick he won't be there.

The best pick Atlanta could make in the first round is OG, the top 3, Warmack, Cooper, and Warford all have relatively high floors IMO.

Lol Zodiac you have been a little pompous lately telling everybody who's not going to be where. Pump the brakes a little bit. We don't know who will be where. DeCastro was a lock top 10 pick that fell to the mid 20s. Konz was a first rounder that fell to the second. On and on. I gave a scenario as to how Richardson could fall from a top 20 player to a top 32 player. Is that a big fall? No. Richardson isn't a 3-4 player. As a pure DT, Star, Hankins, Williams and Jenkins are poised to go before him because they are massive. Richardson is an ideal 4-3 UT.

Lol Zodiac you have been a little pompous lately telling everybody who's not going to be where. Pump the brakes a little bit. We don't know who will be where. DeCastro was a lock top 10 pick that fell to the mid 20s. Konz was a first rounder that fell to the second. On and on. I gave a scenario as to how Richardson could fall from a top 20 player to a top 32 player. Is that a big fall? No. Richardson isn't a 3-4 player. As a pure DT, Star, Hankins, Williams and Jenkins are poised to go before him because they are massive. Richardson is an ideal 4-3 UT.

I'm not being pompous I'm being realistic. Sheldon Richardson has a phenomenal season against quality SEC competition and is an athletic freak for a DT. He's not going to be there when we pick. The same goes for Warford basically falling to the very end of the 2nd, he's a huge mauler with very good athletic ability, he can get out and pull and gets to the 2nd level quickly, and he shut down Shariff Floyd and Sheldon Richardson, I loved Osemele but he wasn't as good as a prospect as Warford is and he fell further than I thought he would and still went before the final pick of the 2nd round. Warford is a better prospect than Silatolu who went 43rd last year I believe.

Kyle Van Noy ... He is one of the athletic multi position guys TD had his eye on last year...

Oddly enough the advisory board gave him a 3rd Round grade, IMO he's a 2nd rounder.

Also here's two cut ups of Warford Vs Mizzou (Richardson) and UF (Floyd)

I just can't see this guy falling into the bottom of the 2nd.

I'm not being pompous I'm being realistic. Sheldon Richardson has a phenomenal season against quality SEC competition and is an athletic freak for a DT. He's not going to be there when we pick. The same goes for Warford basically falling to the very end of the 2nd, he's a huge mauler with very good athletic ability, he can get out and pull and gets to the 2nd level quickly, and he shut down Shariff Floyd and Sheldon Richardson, I loved Osemele but he wasn't as good as a prospect as Warford is and he fell further than I thought he would and still went before the final pick of the 2nd round. Warford is a better prospect than Silatolu who went 43rd last year I believe.

I have yet to see you say much positive. Every post of something it's about who isn't going to be there. There is just as much a possibility of both of them being there as there is neither. I'd see if I said Star or Bjoern Werner. Montgomery's stock is falling, is a pure 4-3 DE, can't rush standing up nor is he a 3-4 DE. Sheldon isn't a 3-4 DT, nor stout enough to be a 3-4 DE. He isn't a pure DE, but can play it occasionally.

This is purely hypothetical. You can keep acting like the czar of the draft or whatever, but pump the brakes a little bit. You don't have to tell everybody who you think is going to be there when you have no clue. At this point, anybody can be there

I have yet to see you say much positive. Every post of something it's about who isn't going to be there. There is just as much a possibility of both of them being there as there is neither. I'd see if I said Star or Bjoern Werner. Montgomery's stock is falling, is a pure 4-3 DE, can't rush standing up nor is he a 3-4 DE. Sheldon isn't a 3-4 DT, nor stout enough to be a 3-4 DE. He isn't a pure DE, but can play it occasionally.

This is purely hypothetical. You can keep acting like the czar of the draft or whatever, but pump the brakes a little bit. You don't have to tell everybody who you think is going to be there when you have no clue. At this point, anybody can be there

I agree. Plus the combine and all star games have yet to be played. A lot can change, and a lot of good people will fall. It's pissing me off too, Vel.

I'm not sure what the love fest with Montgomery is, he's just not a pass rusher. He's stiff and doesn't have the balance to consistently turn the corner which means he will have develop an excellent inside move which he doesn't have and the guy has work ethic problems as evidenced by the fact that LSU's own S&T coach posted a list of players skipping workouts for NFL Scouts to see and he was on it. He's also not an exceptional run defender, he's not stout at the POA. There is nothing that leads me to believe that this guy can be a successful pass rusher aside from that fact he has great length and that's negated by the fact that he's stiff and loses balance turning the corner.

I'm not bashing the guy, that's what I see when I watch the tape.

I'm not sure what the love fest with Montgomery is, he's just not a pass rusher. He's stiff and doesn't have the balance to consistently turn the corner which means he will have develop an excellent inside move which he doesn't have and the guy has work ethic problems as evidenced by the fact that LSU's own S&T coach posted a list of players skipping workouts for NFL Scouts to see and he was on it. He's also not an exceptional run defender, he's not stout at the POA. There is nothing that leads me to believe that this guy can be a successful pass rusher aside from that fact he has great length and that's negated by the fact that he's stiff and loses balance turning the corner.

As someone who has watched every game of his again I have to disagree. He is a great pass rusher. The guy was all sec two years in a row. His athleticism, while not exceptional, is underrated. He can turn the corner on an OT. Where do you get this about his balance? I want a link on that story about him being lazy. I've never heard anything like that.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Oddly enough the advisory board gave him a 3rd Round grade, IMO he's a 2nd rounder.

Also here's two cut ups of Warford Vs Mizzou (Richardson) and UF (Floyd)

I just can't see this guy falling into the bottom of the 2nd.

Yea i just saw that... I think the advisory board gave a not generous assessment.

... With that bowl game and his draft season.. I think he can be a late 1st/ early 2nd round guy.

Also i like Warford ... I saw that Mizzou game... For Richardson to make plays.. The moved him on the other side from Warford.

I like Warford but i would wait until the 2nd round to draft a guard (in my mock draft i will drop soon) .... We need a guy that can help get to the QB first and foremost.

If Warford is not there another guy i really like is Gabe Jackson

As someone who has watched every game of his again I have to disagree. He is a great pass rusher. The guy was all sec two years in a row. His athleticism, while not exceptional, is underrated. He can turn the corner on an OT. Where do you get this about his balance? I want a link on that story about him being lazy. I've never heard anything like that.

Agree to disagree I guess

At 245 he was a great athlete and could turn the corner at 265 he's stiff and has issues with his balance. Also at 245 he got ran over, just because he got All-SEC doesn't mean he's great, Eddie Lacy got 1st team and he's in no way better than Todd Gurley.

LSU-Offices.png

I sorry Zodiac but I don't buy any of that. When I watch him I see an underrated athlete, who shows great bend and dip off the edge and displays a violent and powerful punch. He uses his hands really well, shows good hustle and displays refined pass rushing skills.

I cant comment on his work ethic off the field, but eatching the guy play I just see a good all round DE.