Matt Ryan And The Deep Ball

Guest Negatorris

Guest Negatorris

This season Ryan is completing 42.5% of his passes that travel 20 yards or more, which is ranked 6th in the league.

Last year he only completed 25%. That's a huge jump.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the middle of compiling all of the 20+ yard attempts Ryan has done this season into a short video. I'll get it on youtube ASAP after the final game of the season. So far, got all the attempts compiled pre-bye week, just got the 2nd half to do.

I'm planning to do his game winning drives as well, as well as a touchdown and interception compilation.

Every deep throw counts . It softens up the back end of a defense and forces the S out of the box . Last year playoff game vs the Giants was a prime example of Ryan being a coward and not letting the ball fly . When you force a defense to respect your deep passing attack , the corners drop off press coverage and allow Wrs to get a free release . This will open up underneath stuff

and Turner to take advantage of less men in box

Hope his deep ball translates to post season where defenses tighten up

Torris - I'm on my iPad . What are the numbers from NFL.com of Ryan 20 + passes and 40 + passes

also what were numbers from him in 2011 as well

thanks man

I'm going to make a list of quarter backs. Interested to hear what you think of their deep ball capability. I'll tell you why that particular list AFTER getting your opinion.

Cutler, stafford, romo, dalton, Brady, Palmer.

Guest Negatorris

Torris - I'm on my iPad . What are the numbers from NFL.com of Ryan 20 + passes and 40 + passes

also what were numbers from him in 2011 as well

thanks man

20+ - 14/32 43.75% 526 Yards 4 TDs 1 INT 117.1 QBR

40+ - 3/9 33% 157 Yards 1 TD 1 INT 79.4 QBR

He is better while throwing passes of 40+ than Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. And he's better than P. Manning in passes of 20+

Torris I was talking about 20 and 40+ yard pass plays ..not traveled

2012 Ryan has 43 plays of 20+ yards

2011 Ryan had 55 plays of 20+ yards

2012 Ryan has 9 plays of 40+ yards

2011 Ryan had 10 plays of 40+ yards

Not much has changed from Mularkey to Koetter....also Ryan has passed the ball more than last year

Torris I was talking about 20 and 40+ yard pass plays ..not traveled

2012 Ryan has 43 plays of 20+ yards

2011 Ryan had 55 plays of 20+ yards

2012 Ryan has 9 plays of 40+ yards

2011 Ryan had 10 plays of 40+ yards

Not much has changed from Mularkey to Koetter....also Ryan has passed the ball more than last year

I'm going to make a list of quarter backs. Interested to hear what you think of their deep ball capability. I'll tell you why that particular list AFTER getting your opinion.

Cutler, stafford, romo, dalton, Brady, Palmer.

Not summarizing anything. Asking you for your evaluation.

I will say Palmer or Brady have the best deep ball accuracy out of the grouping. They have the best deep touch and more then likely drop the ball in bucket

Dalton reminds me of Troy Aikman and his deep ball . He doesnt lack top tier arm strength but throws a deep ball but inconsistent .He is also a 2nd year player and will learn as years go on

Stafford and Cutler throw balls only a few QBS can try ..They have the best arm strength in the league along with Aaron Rodgers da GOD ..bow

They are also inaccurate on the deep pass

Romo is probably the deadliest out of the group when a pocket breaks down to beat you with his arm downfield

I will say Palmer or Brady have the best deep ball accuracy out of the grouping. They have the best deep touch and more then likely drop the ball in bucket

Dalton reminds me of Troy Aikman and his deep ball . He doesnt lack top tier arm strength but throws a deep ball but inconsistent .He is also a 2nd year player and will learn as years go on

Stafford and Cutler throw balls only a few QBS can try ..They have the best arm strength in the league along with Aaron Rodgers da GOD ..bow

They are also inaccurate on the deep pass

Romo is probably the deadliest out of the group when a pocket breaks down to beat you with his arm downfield

How many of those do you think rank BEHIND Matt Ryan in long ball passes - 20+ yards - per attempt?