Could Douglas Takeover For ‘Fair Catch Franks’ In The Playoffs?

theProf

Atlanta Falcons: Could Douglas takeover for ‘Fair Catch Franks’ in the playoffs?

10:10 am December 20, 2012, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

FLOWERY BRANCH — Until last Sunday, Dominique Franks had never played safety. But he was called in replace Hope when he left the game to be examined for a head injury.

“You just always have to be ready,” Franks said. “I’ve been trying to learn as much as I can. I got a chance to get out there and play a little bit of safety.”

Franks has played outside at cornerback and has been the primary nickel back, covering receivers in the slot. At safety, it’s a whole new ball game.

“Really, you have to be more patient,” Franks said. “You are the last defense back there. You have to make sure that you don’t give up the big play and if anything breaks, you’ve got to come up and make sure you make the tackle.”

Franks returns: Some fans on twitter have taken to calling Franks “Fair Catch Franks.” He has 17 fair catches and 20 punt returns for 154 yards (7.7 per return).

His 17 fair catches are seventh-most in the league behind Jets returner Jeremy Kerley (31), Minnesota’s Marcus Sherels (26), Philadelphia’s Damaris Johnson (22), Green Bay’s Randall Cobb (21), Detroit’s Stefan Logan (20) and Miami’s Davonne Bess (18), according to NFL.com stats.

His 7.7 yards per return is 21st in the league among players with at least 20 returns or more. Buffalo’s Leodis McKelvin leads the league with an 18.7 averaged and two touchdowns.

“Really, it’s just whatever I see back there,” Franks said. “Really, it’s just make a play. That’s all it is. Every play is different.”

In the loss to the Saints at New Orleans, the Falcons let Harry Douglas return a punt late when they were trying to bust a big return. Perhaps, they’ve been keeping him on ice for the playoffs?

http://blogs.ajc.com...ta_falcons_blog

It depends on how much of a role that he will have in the offense during the playoffs. If HD is used like the Giants games then no but if he is invisible like most of the games this season then he should replace Franks.

Franks should be replaced regardless if HD replaces him or not because he just sucks. Even Hawley would do a better job at PR than Franks.

Edited by DawnOfThemBirds

I doubt it...hd83 is too important to the offense now to risk injury on special teams..

He is? He's the 4th option by a wide margin. I understand if you're talking about Julio or something, but they use Quiz on KRs so they can't be too worried about this. Welker is the primary PR in NE. Randall Cobb in GB. Lots of guys that are a heckuva lot more important to their teams than HD handle duties for playoff teams. There has to be some other reason that we are not aware of because Franks has had almost 40 chances to make something happen and he hasn't made one play.

He is? He's the 4th option by a wide margin. I understand if you're talking about Julio or something, but they use Quiz on KRs so they can't be too worried about this. Welker is the primary PR in NE. Randall Cobb in GB. Lots of guys that are a heckuva lot more important to their teams than HD handle duties for playoff teams. There has to be some other reason that we are not aware of because Franks has had almost 40 chances to make something happen and he hasn't made one play.

I agree on him being 4th option but I don't trust Drew Davis or who ever is behind him in the line up if either RW or JJ is hurt. HD knows the offense and can run the routes and step in if needed. HD can be used when the Falcons need a big return.

I doubt it...hd83 is too important to the offense now to risk injury on special teams..

See I think HD is enough of a nonfactor in the offense that it's worth the risk. He had a good game Sunday, but in other games in which Roddy and Julio both play he averages 15 yards a game.

I think if we are using Douglas in the playoffs, we have to make the switch now

I agree on him being 4th option but I don't trust Drew Davis or who ever is behind him in the line up if either RW or JJ is hurt. HD knows the offense and can run the routes and step in if needed. HD can be used when the Falcons need a big return.

Maybe, but personally I don't think returning 3-4 punts is that big of an injury risk. Certainly not big enough that you don't want to risk 3-4 offensive touches when your current returning option has done literally nothing all year. Less than nothing if you consider the fumble and he handful of kicks he let bounce 10 yards inside the 5 early in the year.

Maybe, but personally I don't think returning 3-4 punts is that big of an injury risk. Certainly not big enough that you don't want to risk 3-4 offensive touches when your current returning option has done literally nothing all year. Less than nothing if you consider the fumble and he handful of kicks he let bounce 10 yards inside the 5 early in the year.

It can take one bad hit on first return and HD might be done. They can put HD like the saints game when there is a need for taking risk.

It depends on how much of a role that he will have in the offense during the playoffs. If HD is used like the Giants games then no but if he is invisible like most of the games this season then he should replace Franks.

Franks should be replaced regardless if HD replaces him or not because he just sucks. Even Hawley would do a better job at PR than Franks.

You do recall that Hawley dropped two passes in one game, so I'm not sure I trust his hands enough for PR duty. biggrin.png

For the love of God Smitty , do the right thing here. Franks would be good at distributing

gatoraide on the sidelines and thats about it imo. You cant tell me our coach's havent watched

the tape of his "returns" ( I say that loosley ) and arent shaking in their boots from the giants game. The guy is truly horrified back there and I know it scares me to death watching him field

a punt. I find myself cheering when he loses 10 yds on a return because atleast he didnt cough it up.

He's a huge turnover just waiting to happen , bank on it.... we need to get proactive and head

this pending disaster off at the pass before it arrives. Would also eliminate a big source of anxiety from my sundays watching this guy in action back there.

Since we have a Franks topic thread, I do have one question from the Giants game. Franks played DB in 21 defensive plays (44% of total) during the Giants game, whereas Chris Owens had no plays at DB, even though Owens was in on 12 Special Teams plays. Owens had played rather well at CB in the two previous games against the Saints and Panthers. Does anyone know why Franks, rather than Owens, was getting the extra DB playing time in the Giants game?

Until Franks fudges up, we won't see a change. Maybe we'll see HD returning in the playoffs. IDK..

However, we all know Coach Smith hates turnovers and loves to win the turnover battle. He cares about ball control and playing it safe when returning punts. If we NEED a big play from the PR spot, Smith will let his PR make a big play, but Smith doesn't care for that since he wants his offense to march down the field, possess the ball, and eat clock(another thing he preaches)

Franks is not dynamic whatsoever as a returner. He does not get up to speed at all after he catches the ball, he just tippy-toes. BUT, he does catch the ball. I think unless you feel you honestly have a game-changing type of player (I don't think we really do) you just need to make sure you get possession. Franks can do that. I have no problem if that is why they keep him back there. He has been doing the most important thing a PR can do, even if he is not doing much else.