Why The Detroit Game Is A Must Win

Old fan

If we win one of our last two games, we are the number one seed and earn home-field advantage and a first round bye. If we beat Detroit, the Tampa game becomes meaningless and we rest our starters, thus giving them two weeks to heal and be at full force when the playoffs start.

I know I am stating an obvious fact, but let's not underestimate how important a two week break would be in clearing off the injury list. Plus, I don't want it to come down to having to beat Tampa to get that coveted number one seed.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are reasons to win , but in no way is it a 'must win'.

Not to get into the playoffs, no. However, lots of teams play great after a loss, only to be flat the next week. The Giants played a great game against the Saints before coming to Atlanta. Atlanta was flat against Carolina. We all know how this last game played out....

Will the Falcons be flat against Detroit? That is what I am curious to see. Great teams can win even when they do not play thier best. We will find out what kind of carryover effect the Giant's game has.

Edited by egoprime II

Not to get into the playoffs, no. However, lots of teams play great after a loss, only to be flat the next week. The Giants played a great game against the Saints before coming to Atlanta. Atlanta was flat against Carolina. We all know how this last game played out....

Will the Falcons be flat against Detroit? That is what I am curious to see...

I don't think we come out flat. Detroit is a good team despite their record. They have a great QB and the top WR. I just think we looked past Carolina and they played it like it was their Superbowl. Its also an away game and on prime time. We have done pretty good with those games this year.

Its like I said though , there are plenty of reasons why we should win. I just think the term must win is used to loosely around here. It takes the true meaning of the phrase away in my opinion.

Not two weeks . . . THREE weeks! There are three full weeks between Detroit and the 2nd round of playoffs. That's three weeks we could rehab White's gimpy knee and Asante's bum shoulder, plus all thee other nagging problems that most players have at this point of the season. I'm sure vets like Gonzo and McClure could use a break.

You still play most of your starters for a while, but you also let Guys heal.

Smitty has said this week that he intends to play and win every game. He also caveated that by acknowledging the need to rest/heal players as soonas HFA is acquired so yes Detroit is very much a pivotal game. This then gives us a luxury option of which peripheral players get to suit up and demonstrate how far they have developed since the OTAs and pre season games.

Konz @ Centre Lamarr Holmes @ RT maybe even PK Manley @ G with DD and Mc Cown sharing reps for QB staus.

On the D Mitchell Hope Sidbury Massaqoui Matthews James and Robertson should be considered with Vance and Jerry perhaps getting more involved.

Antone Smith and Jason Snelling plus let Tim Toone return punts and Cone Davis and HD play at WR...

The list is obvious really - Tampa will be in the same frame of mind I expect if it is a dead rubber so to speak.

I'd still let those first teamers play who aren't banged up but it is an exhibition game but a useful work out against a good team that would be a nice way to sign off another epic regular season effort.

Edited by leftfield

Not sure Smitty will give them too much rest... they tend to come out flat after bye weeks and time off.... They need to be mentally and physically ready the three game winning streak like they were Sunday!

Then its... a playoff win, NFCCG win and a Superbowl Victory!

Like the Eagles game?

#purple

Not even close to a must win game but I'd love to see the intensity tick up this week and next week. I want us to be playing our best ball going into the playoffs. I absolutely hope we play to beat Tampa Bay as well. If anything, if we beat Detroit, rest the older players (Abe, Samuel, maybe even Roddy) but play the youngsters into the 4th quarter. We need a win at all costs mindset and to play a game fearing injuries is to invite them.