I Left When We Went Up 34 To Nuttin

Wardog357

Cool thanks....so snelling must have ran well. we got down to the 3 and took a knee

Yea , he was doing great. Their defense looked to like they were giving up to though. We could of easily scored and everyone knew it. Snelling was a hot knife to butter for steady gains over and over. Smith took the high road by taking the knee.

Yeah Snelling ran hard, and it was obvious the Giants had thrown in the towel. I was screaming for Smitty to go for that last TD, which we virtually guaranteed the way we were playing.

But as usual, Smitty played it smart and classy.

I think every giants player knew the REAL score ...

Yeah Snelling ran hard, and it was obvious the Giants had thrown in the towel. I was screaming for Smitty to go for that last TD, which we virtually guaranteed the way we were playing.

But as usual, Smitty played it smart and classy.

Giants defense was tired, they were trying to tackle high seems like.

Scoring would have been rubbing this win in the Giants' faces. Might have given them some extra incentive to play better next time, maybe in the playoffs?

But you know, letting up on New York and not scoring when we could have....isn't that worse, in a way? Its kind of like having pity on the G-Men, if you know what I mean.

Downing the ball wasn't just etiquette. The Falcons didn't want to give the Giants the ball back with an opportunity to spoil the shut out.

Wrong, there would have been what 40ish seconds left? The Falcons are a classy organization unlike the Saints and Patriots who will run the score up given any chance just to flex their muscles. Mike Smith knew the game was over and seen no reason to embarrass the Giants any further. I have a feeling if we were playing the Saints he would have scored that TD though. The Giants are the SB Champions and are a classy organization. You would never see Tom Coughlin run up the score in that situation.

Wrong, there would have been what 40ish seconds left? The Falcons are a classy organization unlike the Saints and Patriots who will run the score up given any chance just to flex their muscles. Mike Smith knew the game was over and seen no reason to embarrass the Giants any further. I have a feeling if we were playing the Saints he would have scored that TD though. The Giants are the SB Champions and are a classy organization. You would never see Tom Coughlin run up the score in that situation.

If we had finished with the 2nd TD by Julio, all you would have heard from Tuck and Umenyora leading up to a playoff game against them would be "outrage" at how we were still throwing when we were up by 27 already. Now they don't have some imagined slight to rally around if we meet them again.

Nah, Mike Smith wouldn't have run the ball in against anybody. And he shouldn't have.

But I do know the Falcons wanted that shut out, and it had a great deal to do with the effort we saw on that 3rd and 6 run with 2 minutes left.

Downing the ball wasn't just etiquette. The Falcons didn't want to give the Giants the ball back with an opportunity to spoil the shut out.

They pretty regularly go into the victory formation when they can run the clock out - and are ahead. I can remember a few times when it would have been easy to punch it in or even run the clock down and kick a field goal - but we didn't. That's just how Smitty plays. It's the right thing to do. Why risk injury to your players when you've already won the game?

Heck, if I remember right - I think Ryan knelt down pretty close to the goal line in his first NFL game.

One I remember very well was the game against Arizona when we had over 2 minutes left and were on the 5 yard line. We were well ahead - by 30 points or more - and we actually knelt and then gave them the ball back with 30 seconds left. There was never any fear of giving them the ball back and having them catch up or score - it was just the right thing to do.

I think we were right on the goal line against Miami with about 2 minutes left as well and kneeled. In that game we were ahead by 2 scores I think.

Anyway, I know we've knelt down with enough time on the clock and close enough to run it down and kick a field goal or go for the touchdown on probably 10 or more occasions in the past - or at least close to that.

I also remember New Orleans back in '08 - with 6 seconds left - down 34-13 throwing the Hail Mary for the touchdown. If that's not stat padding I don't knwo what is. We should have knocked it down - but we tipped it and they got the touchdown so it ended 34-20. Carolina, too. It was 31-3 with about 20 something seconds on the clock and they threw for the touchdown - ending at 31-10.

You can call that competitive if you want - but to me - it's just plain stupid. How many players get hurt at the end of the game. What would have happened if they lost their QB or top receiver in a quest that got them nothing but stats? They could ruin their whole season by being foolish.

This is the NFL. You do not have a poll that looks at how "bad" you beat another team. You aren't ranked by your points. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. They yap about player safety all the time - but then they do that kind of crap - it's really just not smart.

They pretty regularly go into the victory formation when they can run the clock out - and are ahead. I can remember a few times when it would have been easy to punch it in or even run the clock down and kick a field goal - but we didn't. That's just how Smitty plays. It's the right thing to do. Why risk injury to your players when you've already won the game?

Heck, if I remember right - I think Ryan knelt down pretty close to the goal line in his first NFL game.

One I remember very well was the game against Arizona when we had over 2 minutes left and were on the 5 yard line. We were well ahead - by 30 points or more - and we actually knelt and then gave them the ball back with 30 seconds left. There was never any fear of giving them the ball back and having them catch up or score - it was just the right thing to do.

I think we were right on the goal line against Miami with about 2 minutes left as well and kneeled. In that game we were ahead by 2 scores I think.

I think you are right in that under no circumsances were the Falcons going to do anything other than down the ball there.

I just know they really wanted to pick up that 3rd down conversion prior so they could do so, and preserve the shut out.

I think you are right in that under no circumsances were the Falcons going to do anything other than down the ball there.

I just know they really wanted to pick up that 3rd down conversion prior so they could do so, and preserve the shut out.

Oh I know they wanted the shut out - BAD! No doubt about it.