White: Falcons No Longer "ducking Top Teams"

Tuggle'2

http://profootballta...king-top-teams/

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 17, 2012, 2:26 PM EST

350x-1121.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

The Falcons have been playing good football for several years, but they’re no longer worried about playing other good football teams.

Flush with confidence after thrashing the defending champion Giants yesterday, Falcons wide receiver Roddy White said he could sense a difference in this year’s version compared to past teams which earned a front-runner label.

“I told them early in the locker room, ‘We can’t keep ducking people and say, We don’t want to play these guys, we don’t want to play those guys,’” White told Mike Garafolo of USA Today. “We have to go out there and execute our game plan, whatever Smitty [coach Mike Smith] brings to us, and we’ve got to go out there and play Falcon football. Stop saying, ‘I hope we don’t get these guys.’

“We’re a good football team. We have to go out there and play like a good football team.”

The Falcons have been ousted from the playoffs by three teams that ended up in the Super Bowl, losing to the eventual champs the last two seasons. White said previous Falcons teams didn’t always “relish the moment,” of playing such competition.

“Absolutely. I could say, two, three years ago, that was the attitude, trying to escape guys and not do this and say, ‘I hope we don’t get these guys,’” White said. “We’d be saying, ‘Oh, these guys can do this, they’re a good football team.’ We can’t say we don’t want to play them. We can’t say that.

“This year, it’s a totally different team.”

Pushing through from good to great is often a mental task, more so than a physical one. If the Falcons truly believe they’re different, that might be the first step in being different come the postseason.

Roddy is sounding great to me. I am relieved to hear this is in the minds of the players. They feel like they belong at the top and aren't scared of anyone.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes me wonder did the "I hope we don't have to face this team" mentality play a crucial part in the Packers and Giants playoff games?

I said this in a sports group on Facebook. That whole Giants game felt like we were afraid to try and take the game to them...despite how our defense played early on in that game with giving is chances.

It makes me wonder did the "I hope we don't have to face this team" mentality play a crucial part in the Packers and Giants playoff games?

I thought about that myself. Maybe there was a sense of insecurity about those games that led to poor play. They have had a whole new demeanor this year. I really wonder if it was the coordinators? They used to play with a sense of fear , now they play mean. Such a great feeling to know they are feeling like they belong at the top now.

I thought about that myself. Maybe there was a sense of insecurity about those games that led to poor play. They have had a whole new demeanor this year. I really wonder if it was the coordinators? They used to play with a sense of fear , now they play mean. Such a great feeling to know they are feeling like they belong at the top now.

Yea

I really like the new and aggressive attitude this season.

I have great confidence that the Falcons will breakthrough in the playoffs this season

Only thing that makes me feel bad as a fan is that bad group of professional athletes were actually afraid to meet top teams. I thought that's what you have tondo to hoist the trophy. They obviously didn't want it as bad as is fans did

The more I think about it I think the coordinators were in their heads. I am sure that in team meetings and game planning sessions the coordinators were all about making sure the team new how good the opposition was and yada yada yada. That leads to playing scared.

Well sh*t no wonder we were getting blown out in the big games and the playoffs. Many were saying 'it's like we're scared to play against good teams on the big stage'. Don't think many thought that was actually the case

Turns out it was. Why was this ever prevalent? Whatever doesn't matter as long as they're over it now which it sure as helI looks like

thats wat i was thinking....someone should be there to b!tch slap that type of negative thinking!

Yea, I mean that is the absolute worst thing I have heard in a long time regarding the Falcons, I mean I always blamed it on MM and BVG, but words like that should never come out of a pro caliber competitors mouth........