You Wanted Your "statement Game"

fansince78

It means that playing at their best the Falcons can beat anyone. Personally I think that is the reason why the pundits didn't believe in the Falcons before. It is because pretty much every other contenders had at least one of these wins where they showcased their best, and until this game the Falcons did not.

I could not help myself. I'm in the sports bar in Upstate NY where I have watched every game of the last 3 seasons. When we stopped their 3rd 4th and short I yelled out, "Can you hear me now?" Yes, it was trite, but it felt so good.

Most of the Giants fans were yelping about the officials, but they had lots of nice things to say about the Falcons once they knew the game was over. They felt like the Giants were royally jobbed on that 2nd 4th and 1. Looked like PI to me, but it was close and the receiver had the ball in his hands...he just didn't make the play.

To me it reaffirms this team is among the best in the league when the coaches come up with a creative, aggressive game plan and the players play with intensity and focus. It means I can once again start to hope this team will end 45 years of disappointment and failure in the play-offs and win a Super Bowl while I'm still alive to see it and enjoy it. It vindicates my belief Smittyball is not a philosophy, it's a cancer that can rob a team of it's spirit and will to win. Smittyball would've lost today, even with a 14-point lead, so I sincerely hope Smith finally got the message and will start putting the pedal to the metal with creative game plans that utilize all our offensive weapons and will never go back to his pathetic, grind-it-out, burn-the-clock mentality ever again.

Well you got it against the defending world champs. What does it mean to you?

This was probably their best complete game of the year. I like the fact that they finally got Harry Douglas involved in the offense.

Only complaint I have on 3rd and 1, how about a QB sneak or at least try to run it up the middle. Those wide toss play on 3rd and 1s are not working and they need to stop trying them. Also when you get a receiver hot, don't keep forcing the ball to him. When Gonzo got hot he started forcing the ball to him even when he wasn't open.

Edited by Chitown2ATL_Falcon

Well you got it against the defending world champs. What does it mean to you?

It means they finally played to the potential I knew they had. Next step...play consistently the way you did yesterday against our remaining opponents on the way to the SB. This team has the ability...just need to be consistent with it. Also first time I believe both sides of the ball played well in the same game.

We didn't win by enough points.

We beat a team that's not going to the playoffs.

The Giants had an off day.

We need some buIIsh|t bingo of all the media excuses. One of the squares is for whenever a sports show doesn't mention the Falcons at all during a segment. Whoever gets bingo gets to headbutt Heath Evans.

I think it was you that made the pregame thread. I still say the same thing. Tomorrow it will mean little to me. Hooray for today! Tomorrow means nothing right now , about as much as today means tomorrow. I still don't believe in these games that somehow make the world brighter.

I am looking at the standings and that win was only counted once. It don't look any bigger than any of those close games. There is not even an * beside it with "statement game" written anywhere on the record.

I will admit it was more fun to watch though.

To me it means that we can beat contenders when we play on both sides of the ball. This was a great start but a statement game to me will be when we crush our opposition in our first playoff game. If we play like we did yesterday, we will be in our second super bowl.

QFT...but 34-0 over the Giants will have to do until the p/obiggrin.png

Especially erasing the stench from that Panthers loss.

QFT...but 34-0 over the Giants will have to do until the p/obiggrin.png

Especially erasing the stench from that Panthers loss.

True. It was great to finally see us play team ball and crush a quality opponent. A game where we stepped on the gas and I didn't have cardiac arrest all the way to the end. I really enjoyed this beatdown of the Giants.