I Hope This Is A Change In Philosophy By Smitty...

fuego

We were up 27-0 and he didn't put his foot on the brake and he let Koetter continue to call an aggressive game. It really seemed Smith saw the need to make a statement and was going with it. Hopefully he sees this is how we need to play from here on out.

Edited by fuego

I liked it. I'm disappointed we didn't try to step on them with 1:15 and two timeouts before the half, but I'm glad we kept airing it out in the third

The ball was inside the Falcons 20 and they were leading by 17 points. There are times to be aggressive,but that's not one of them. Now had the first run bust through for 15-20 yards then you would have seen the Falcons try to score.

We were up 27-0 and he didn't put his foot on the break and he let Koetter continue to call an aggressive game. It really seemed Smith saw the need to make a statement and was going with it. Hopefully he sees this is how we need to play from here on out.

He better not, that's what it takes to win in the playoffs.

Personally I don't think MS changed any philosophy for this game. It just so happen that the defense stopped the Giants and offense scored more often. If the defense didn't stop the Giants on them 4th down or offense didn't go 9 for 13 on 3rd down conversion we might see a score of maybe 24-20, 27-17, etc... then people would then ask why MS is being conservative or don't have killer instinct. Well scoring more or winning by a wider margin does not necessary means what you guys think it does. Sometime it just a matter of better execution. Had the OL protected as well in the NO and/or Ryan played as well, do you guys not think that the score in that game would have been as lopsided? Of course it would, the only different was the offense executed well today and they didn't in the NO game.

The only time I thought we were being conservative is when we kicked the field goal on 4th and 1 from the one. I mean if we didn't get the touchdown the Giants would have had the ball on the 1 yardline.

True. That's something that you can point to and said whether that is being conservative or not. Kicking the FG was being conservative and going forth would have been aggressive. Now it is debatable whether being conservative or aggressive there was the right thing to do, but when you are up that big I don't think there was a right or wrong call to make.

Very glad we showed a killer instinct finally, 5 years into his tenure. Desperately hope it sticks

Agree. It's about &*( #$%@ time he turned this offense loose and let it run in high gear till the final gun. As I said in many other threads, Smittyball needs to be tossed in the chitcan and never resurrected again. Ever.

Denver game -throwing deep in 3rd quarter, just couldn't connect. Throwing when pinned in the shadow of the end zone

First Carolina game- throwing deep with a 28-10 lead- if Ryan and Jones connect on the deep pass, it's 34 -10 and the late game heroics aren't needed.

1st NO game- an Olineman caught a red zone TD pass

2nd NO and 2nd CAR games, much more lack of execution than lack of aggressiveness.

Think "smittyball" is overblown- better execution in a half dozen games and the Falcons look much more aggressive.

Denver game -throwing deep in 3rd quarter, just couldn't connect. Throwing when pinned in the shadow of the end zone

First Carolina game- throwing deep with a 28-10 lead- if Ryan and Jones connect on the deep pass, it's 34 -10 and the late game heroics aren't needed.

1st NO game- an Olineman caught a red zone TD pass

2nd NO and 2nd CAR games, much more lack of execution than lack of aggressiveness.

Think "smittyball" is overblown- better execution in a half dozen games and the Falcons look much more aggressive.

Agreed. I don't really want to get into it with other people after this wonderful win, but sometime people are mistaken better execution for being more aggressive. It is pretty safe to say that all coaches want as big a lead as possible, but sometime the players do not execute or other teams making plays. Being aggressive or not has no bearing on those two things.

Personally I don't think MS changed any philosophy for this game. It just so happen that the defense stopped the Giants and offense scored more often. If the defense didn't stop the Giants on them 4th down or offense didn't go 9 for 13 on 3rd down conversion we might see a score of maybe 24-20, 27-17, etc... then people would then ask why MS is being conservative or don't have killer instinct. Well scoring more or winning by a wider margin does not necessary means what you guys think it does. Sometime it just a matter of better execution. Had the OL protected as well in the NO and/or Ryan played as well, do you guys not think that the score in that game would have been as lopsided? Of course it would, the only different was the offense executed well today and they didn't in the NO game.

Uncommon logic in this post.. +1