How Do You Compensate For A Declining Todd Mcclure?

MSalmon

I want a real football discussion. Here goes:

I've noticed the last few games Matty has struggled--particularly our last loss--that McClure is seriously getting blown up by a single DT, which seems to cause a chain reaction because the OGs both have to help him, leaving our non-athletic OTs in one on one match ups with DEs. Same on running , McClure seems to get little push.

The worst part for Matt is he rarely has a clean pocket

Am I wrong on my assessment? How do you fix it?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say run the ball to help the big guys out but we all know how that's worked this year. That being said, there really isn't any options for new personnel so it has to be masked with scheme/playcalling. We've seen a few draw plays the last couple of games and I expect to see more of that as well as the incorporation of the screen game like the eagles game

You're wrong. The question is how do we compensate for our worst Olineman (Konz) and is it time to start worrying about SackMaker who is returning to form (on pace to set a career record in hurries and put up his second worse year in sacks) with the NYG and DET coming up next?

Really? I know he's struggling, but seriously I keep seeing McClure just getting tossed like a rag doll.

But assuming you're right (which you may be :). What's the fix?

The preferred way would be to replace him. We've drafted two guys that can play Center in the last 3 years. Center isn't the hardest position on the football field.

I'm with you. I have no clue how not one of our drafted centers can't beat him out. I honestly think that Smitty is often too loyal to his vets..and that's why Turner and McClure stay in lineup.

Didn't Johnson play some center at AL? Or was it OT? He's another p,Ayer we drafted yet sees little time

Think Hawley would be better? I'm not sure to be honest

From what we last saw of Hawley, no I don't think he'd be better unfortunately. He's certaintly not worth taking our veteran C, who calls the assignments at the LOS, out of the game for.

What would be optimal would be having Reynolds healthy, and putting Konz at C. But I believe if Reynolds had stated healthy there's no chance in helI Konz would've seen the field with Smith as our coach.

It's kind of concerning TD has yet to draft any good linemen..and the 2nd round rook he picked up sure isn't looking spectacular, but still you gotta give Konz time

You're wrong. The question is how do we compensate for our worst Olineman (Konz) and is it time to start worrying about SackMaker who is returning to form (on pace to set a career record in hurries and put up his second worse year in sacks) with the NYG and DET coming up next?

Agree'd especially the SackMaker part. I don't understand why people want him resigned. He is a little better then previous years but that isn't saying much. He is still a well below average LT.

Baker is being hurt by the inside of the off line allowing pressure and not giving Ryan a place to step up in the pocket.........FACT

We need a new center and maybe a change in blocking scheme also as there seems to be confusion at times bettween our off line players.allowing one to stand around with his head up his rear while a rusher gets a free shot at Ryan

sam

Think Hawley would be better? I'm not sure to be honest

Ok center is a more complicated spot on the line because it's not just about brute strength. The center makes all the calls for the oline and works with the QB to basically set up blocking assignments.

McClure gets the nod over all the other guys because of his experience since Konz is a rookie. We can't really go with Hawley right now because he's suspended.

To me it's not just McClure. It's a combination of him and the guards. Again one guy is a rookie so I'll cut him some slack but I don't know what we can do to fix the problem.

Part of the problem with replacing McClure is that Centre has a large responsibility in terms of reading the defence and calling blocking schemes etc. The fans can see (or at least have an opinion on) whether the alternatives such as Hawley and Konz can block better, or have more strength etc, but what we can't tell is how well they have developed in terms of the mental side. Centre might not be that difficult a job in terms physically, but I can imagine that it takes a little while to master all the facets of the position, so perhaps the coaching staff are worried about replacing McClure for those reasons.

Hawley has been with the team for quite some time now though...

Ok center is a more complicated spot on the line because it's not just about brute strength. The center makes all the calls for the oline and works with the QB to basically set up blocking assignments.

Ha, I was thinking that no-one had written about this, and then lo and behold, we posted at the same time about it!

Really? I know he's struggling, but seriously I keep seeing McClure just getting tossed like a rag doll.

But assuming you're right (which you may be smile.png. What's the fix?

Not many people will like this suggestion but I would dial up some Mularkey 2TE power formations. Especially with Roddy and HD nicked up and possibly out this week.

I'd come out power form and go play action bomb, RB screens, wouldn't even run it the first couple drives. Then when the NYG start trying to adjust I'd pound em in the mouth with downhill running plays right into the teeth of that defense which is not a juggernaut when it comes to stopping the run.

P.S. The people saying put Konz or Hawley at center and get rid of McClure are just cracking me up. I guarantee you both would get their ases handed to em. Maybe next year but not tomorrow.

Baker is being hurt by the inside of the off line allowing pressure and not giving Ryan a place to step up in the pocket.........FACT

We need a new center and maybe a change in blocking scheme also as there seems to be confusion at times bettween our off line players.allowing one to stand around with his head up his rear while a rusher gets a free shot at Ryan

sam

Sam, I agree. Watch Ryan he almost always has to move right or left in the pocket when he's under center. And I've noticed a lot of line confusion, as well.

Not man people will like this suggestion but I would dial up some Mularkey 2TE power formations. Especially with Roddy and HD nicked up and possibly out this week.

I'd come out power form and go play action bombs, WR screens, wouldn't even run it the first couple drives. Then when the NYG start trying to adjust I'd pound em in the mouth with downhill running plays right into the teeth of that defense which is not a juggernaut when it comes to stop the run.

P.S. The people saying put Konz or Hawley at center and get rid of McClure are just cracking me up. I guarantee you both would get their ases handed to em. Maybe next year but not tomorrow.

I agree on 2TE if Roddy and/or HD are out. JJ and gonzo can still get open and that might keep Ryan on his feet. I'd go straight no huddle and fast tempo like you said. Wear them the heck out, then let pudding turner and cox run. Then switch back to wide open.

McClure has been a huge liability, and I'm pretty sure he knows it. Based on my view, McClure is getting constantly blown up. And it's not that I don't like McClure. I really do like the guy. I just wish he would have made his exit. And the young guys may not be ready, they may not play to his level. But something needs to be done. As far as the Baker hate is concerned, I really haven't noticed too many problems with him. It's McClure, Konz (which is at least understandable), and the constant misses and penalties by Clabo. Personally, I think Clabo and McClure need to be done after this season. Allow them to bow out, or move along, but get them outta there.

Also, the interior of the line is doing horrible across the board. Not just pass-blocking, but run blocking too. They aren't the only reason for the woes in the run game, but they contribute to the problem more than most. We've already heard both Koetter and Turner say that wrong protections were called (*McClure) and we've seen a number of issues with all of the RBs getting hit in the backfield. I'm not saying Turner hasn't slowed down, but he still breaks the occasional 8-12yd run when the blocking is there...

I would say run the ball to help the big guys out but we all know how that's worked this year. That being said, there really isn't any options for new personnel so it has to be masked with scheme/playcalling. We've seen a few draw plays the last couple of games and I expect to see more of that as well as the incorporation of the screen game like the eagles game

You are 100% that a good RB works wonders for a terrible O line.

Most folks round these parts have zero clue regarding this issue.

So how does this help in pass protection?

Simple.

The Dbacks pull up for the run coverage, and this allows the WR's to quickly get

behind the coverage.

So once this happens the DBs then to stay back a bit more thus opening the running game.

But when your RB's are sub avarage, you are reduced.

Cover the WR's and let Gonzo and the Slot get what they can get, because

that is not enough to win a game.

You are 100% that a good RB works wonders for a terrible O line.

Most folks round these parts have zero clue regarding this issue.

So how does this help in pass protection?

Simple.

The Dbacks pull up for the run coverage, and this allows the WR's to quickly get

behind the coverage.

So once this happens the DBs then to stay back a bit more thus opening the running game.

But when your RB's are sub avarage, you are reduced.

Cover the WR's and let Gonzo and the Slot get what they can get, because

that is not enough to win a game.

Great point. I really wished we would have cut turner or at least picked up a traditional back in the draft with burst